Notched 068 block

Gliderider06

Well Known Member
Question. I thought that the 068 blocks were passenger car engines? I have one that has notches in it. Did they also use them for trucks as well? The front pad has no stampings on it. This is the block that I am going to eventually build for my 63 and was curious about it having notches.
Thanks!20240316_114042.jpg20240316_114100.jpg

awsumcars

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Ok, Single notch truck block. What are the truck blocks that have double notches? Also, one chart on the forum shows the '65 truck 348 & 409 are built stronger (thinking more nickel) for heavy duty use. Are these blocks then theoretically stronger to build?

Murphdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
As far as I know a 409 truck block had single notch cylinders & 348 truck had double notch cylinders. Don't think the "higher nickel" thing has ever held water. Just a fantasy. 65 blocks being any "heavier" blocks ?????????????
Jeff

427John

Well Known Member
Early truck 348 blocks were double notch, later truck 348's were single notch, I think they coincided with early 348 truck heads not having the combustion chambers like the later 333 truck heads.

quik9r

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Jack Gibbs really liked the 068 truck blocks, cant remember the reason??, but he purchased the one I had at the time

Gliderider06

Well Known Member
I remember Curt Harvey saying that he liked the notched blocks because they unshrowded the exhaust valve, similar to bolting on a set of headers.

quik9r

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I remember Curt Harvey saying that he liked the notched blocks because they unshrowded the exhaust valve, similar to bolting on a set of headers.
yes Curt Harvey did a say that as do others. Gibbs was specific about the 068 truck block, cant remember at the moment

buildit

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
All W-motor blocks with the "X" on the front have heavier main webs than earlier blocks. They also have Armasteel caps, whether that means anything, I don't know.
I also believe they are higher nickel content. I can't prove it, but it's just my observation after machining blocks for several years.