O F F Y 2x4's

CVECCH409

Anybody running the OFFY Hi-Rise 2x4's on a low horse 409? I just purchased this setup w/edlbrock 600 carbs, I'm looking for any advise good or bad things you've heard or experienced. I'm planning to start my freshly built motor in the next couple of weeks. :D

Impalaguru

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I don't have one but a guy I know has one on the 340 engine in his car. The only real problem he ran into was finding an air cleaner to fit the carbs. The OFFY intake mounts the carbs farther appart than on the stock dual quad intakes. He is running an oval ball milled aluminum air cleaner. I think that SC auto sells chrome fuel lines for the offy 2x4 set up, or at least thats what they told me. If they have it, order from Phil Reed in Kansas City.
Ross

CVECCH409

I bought the fuel line and linkage from SC. I did not know the carbuerators were further apart. I'll have to measure that before I buy an air cleaner. Thanks.

art38

Well Known Member
I bought one too, but haven't started my either. Hoping to start it next week. I was able to use HEI distributor. I think you have to block the water by-pass, is this true.
Art38

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Offy Dual four?

I would like to buy an Offy dual four. Where did you guys find yours?? I have looked on E Bay many times with zero results! :(

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I had an Offy dual-quad intake with stock 64 425hp carbs on a mild 409, about 350hp. It worked great. No bog or stumble and really good throttle responce.

CVECCH409

I bought my OFFY 2x4 setup from Show Cars they have everything for it (linkage fuel lines carbs etc) in stock.

art38

Well Known Member
Fatride,
I bought my intake from Hawaii Racing in Cal, but Showcar and some place in Utah has them too. If your in the Utah place I'll check on it tonight.
Art38

Rockfish39

Supporting Member 1
That's what I'm talking about !!!!

jim_ss409 said:
I had an Offy dual-quad intake with stock 64 425hp carbs on a mild 409, about 350hp. It worked great. No bog or stumble and really good throttle responce.

Same setup on my '65... Because of the sculpture of the valve covers, I elected to use a pair of Edelbrock #1209 s for air cleaners though . It gives the whole engine a certain symetry that looks totally cool, IMHO....

No bog, no stumble...immediate throttle response!!!

One thing that didnt come up (I dont think) is the choke... I used an electric choke on the rear carb in stead of a hot air tube... Really slick, and works perfectly...

Rock :cool:

art38

Well Known Member
Rock,
Did you block off your water by-pass on the water pump? If so how did you go about that?
Art38

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Rockfish39 said:
Because of the sculpture of the valve covers, I elected to use a pair of Edelbrock #1209 s for air cleaners though . It gives the whole engine a certain symetry that looks totally cool, IMHO....

Rock, Is that part number correct? That seams to be a filter # rather then an assembly #.

Rockfish39

Supporting Member 1
Art and DQ

Art: No problem at all on the water pump. I used a 3/8 NPT pipe plug (chrome, of course) and a little Loctite 567 and simply blocked off the top of the water pump...

Jim: Edelbrock 1209 may sound like just a filter, but actually its the whole enchelada. Base, Lid and Air Filter. I got mine from Summit Racing Equipment.

art38

Well Known Member
Rock,
Did you just cut off the original nipple and then tap it for the 3/8 npt? I'm need to to do the same that why I'm asking. Are you running two 600cfm's?
Art38

59elcooldsuv

Well Known Member
Rockfish39 said:
Art: No problem at all on the water pump. I used a 3/8 NPT pipe plug (chrome, of course) and a little Loctite 567 and simply blocked off the top of the water pump...:

My machinist told me that if I did that my water pump would cavitate. [?]

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
59elcooldsuv said:
My machinist told me that if I did that my water pump would cavitate. [?]

Get a new machinist !!! :D
Cavitating is caused by the pump turning too fast or by a very quick revving engine. (same diff)
If you are using the stock water pump , with a stock cast impeller you should be OK. Better vains.

Most rebuilders toss the cast impeller and go to the less desireable stamped steel ones, which are smaller (SBC)and less efficient for our engines.

On the quick revving engines a trick is to use a smaller impeller or larger pulley.
I was discussing this the other day with the guy that rebuilt my pump.
Seems weird I know,,,, Smaller is better but the cast impeller is superior for cooling.

Totally confused now? ,,, dq :confused:

59elcooldsuv

Well Known Member
dq409 said:
Get a new machinist !!! :D
Seems weird I know,,,, Smaller is better but the cast impeller is superior for cooling. Totally confused now? ,,, dq :confused:

If the cast impeller fits the housing tighter, that would explain it. Maybe the stamped impeller leaves a bigger gap tween it and the scroll. With a centrifugal pump that fitment is the most important thing.

What the machinist said didn't really make sense to me either, but he's built more engines than I have. He STARTED his career in the muscle-car era before I even got outta high school. Of course, his "favorite" specialty is flathead F***s. Ya know how THOSE guys are.

Rockfish39

Supporting Member 1
Mine was already tapped

art38 said:
Rock,
Did you just cut off the original nipple and then tap it for the 3/8 npt? I'm need to to do the same that why I'm asking. Are you running two 600cfm's?
Art38

Art, When I bought my water pump, it was already tapped 3/8 NPT... So Im not 100% certain about what you are dealing with ...But, I dont think that a machine shop would have any problem at all in cutting the nipple off, and tapping the water pump housing that you have, and the putting a pipe plug in it's place....Should be a fairly inexpensive proceedure really...

And no, Im running two 500 cfm carbs (Edel 1403 and Edel 1404 respectively)instead of a pair of 625s... I have to bring all the ponies in under 4000, so a pair of 625s would be a little over-kill in my situation...

However, If you already have these carbs in hand, it is fairly simple to re-jet them to a slightly smaller size... You have to tweak them a bit, but they will work just fine...

Make sure that you do your systems engineering first... IE Cam specs, IGN curves, Gears, intended useage, and so on....

Edelbrock fuel maps are VERY VERY good charts to aid you in jet sizing and tuning AFBs....

art38

Well Known Member
Rock,
So what are you running, 348 or 409? How is it built? Just trying to make some comparison for carb size. I have a 409 (truck) +.030, 10:1 cr, 286 hyd cam, 333 heads with 2.20/1.75 valves, offy dual quad high rise and roller rockers.
Art38

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Engine comparo.

Art, My engine is similar to yours. .030 truck block, lopo 348 heads with 2.07/1.72" valves, Xtreme Energy 268 cam, three two's, roller tip rockers. Are you coming to KC.? I'd be nice to compare performance! :D

Rockfish39

Supporting Member 1
What's in the bucket???

So Art,
You want me to lift my skirt ??? :eek: HEHE....

My streeter is no match for Jack's race car anyways... so here goes...

348 :confused: Nope, not in my '65... ;)

It's a real 409... T0205JE (Friday, Feb 5, 1965) 1 week to the day before "W" production ceased)

Slip-n-Slide trans and 3.42:1 POSI rear.... NOTE: Thats gonna change this fall !!! Gotta get a 700R4 from Bowtie Overdrives...

ANYWAYS... :deal

656 JE (PASS) Block, bored .030
10.5:1 Ross forged slugs
6.00" con rods, all weight balanced and polished beams w/ ARP rod bolts
.010/.010 409 forged steel crank
6.75 Fluid-Damper balancer
333 heads with 2.06 intake 1.72 exhaust, SS valves.
'white' OE valve springs and 1.75 stamped OE rocker arms
Iskendarian 262 Super Cam with Isky lifters.
True Roller timing chain (straight up)
HEI Ignition
Stock 2.50 in exhaust manifolds.
Offy dual quad intake with two 500 Edelbrock carbs

and.... drum roll please...

CHROME VALVE COVERS!!!!!!!! :p :p :p