OCD Strikes Again. 90 Degree Elbow for Stock Mechanical Fuel Pump…

tcb-1

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Ok gang. My OCD is really screwing me up on this one. So I need to run 5/16 hardline from my stock, mechanical fuel pump to rubber line/filter. However, I can’t get bends tight enough with tubing to miss the lower radiator hose. Soooo I’m thinking installing a 90 degree, pointing up, to make it easier, right?But I can’t figure out the elbow I should use!!

The pump has an inverted flare, looks like a 1/2-20 straight thread, for a 5/16 tube. So I’m assuming the elbow would need the same outlet, but what about inlet? An NPT? A straight thread?

These are the stupid things that keep me away at night.

Attachments

• 56BBDD6E-EFAD-4D62-93C4-6751A74473ED.jpeg
    56BBDD6E-EFAD-4D62-93C4-6751A74473ED.jpeg
    44.7 KB · Views: 51
  • 1E3ADF33-9DCB-4109-9200-B0FB64DE10BB.jpeg
    1E3ADF33-9DCB-4109-9200-B0FB64DE10BB.jpeg
    80.5 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:

Murphdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Just a thought. Not sure if it would work. What if you had 1 of the old style pumps that the top & bottom bolted together. Could it be taken apart & reindexed?

tcb-1

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Just a thought. Not sure if it would work. What if you had 1 of the old style pumps that the top & bottom bolted together. Could it be taken apart & reindexed?
Nope. Can’t be reindexed. Darn it.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Go to parts house,don't get a rookie counterman ,he probably cant get you a fitting. Don't know if this is right size. Don't show fuel pump end if inverted, but if you used thread sealing tape that would work also for pump thread.

Attachments

• R024017_a_1024x1024.jpg
    R024017_a_1024x1024.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

tcb-1

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Go to parts house,don't get a rookie counterman ,he probably cant get you a fitting. Don't know if this is right size. Don't show fuel pump end if inverted, but if you used thread sealing tape that would work also for pump thread.
Yup, I saw that one too. Seems the C3 Corvettes and the 68-72 Novas had to have this type of elbow to clear obstacles too. Well, guess I’ll be doing some Googling later!

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
What do you have for tube bender?
With the bender I have I can bend the tube with the fitting on as close as possible, then cut the flare off move the flare nut down the tube set up my tube flaring tool remark a new cut line to start the new flare. then I have the bend in the tube closer to the fitting.

wristpin

Well Known Member
Return it and get a similar pump thats pointed the direction you need. I did that with a 67 el camino. Went up nice and clean

tcb-1

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
After Googling images for 3 hours straight, I’ve come to a conclusion there’s no such elbow. I’m just going to attempt to bend my last few foot of tubing and hope in don’t get any kinks. I’ve got a set of Imperial tube benders, but I need the first bend to start right at the rear of the ferrule. I make need to make something custom to get the first bend.

To be continued!

tcb-1

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
After Googling images for 3 hours straight, I’ve come to a conclusion there’s no such elbow. I’m just going to attempt to bend my last few foot of tubing and hope in don’t get any kinks. I’ve got a set of Imperial tube benders, but I need the first bend to start right at the rear of the ferrule. I make need to make something custom to get the first bend.

To be continued!

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
If you fill your fuel line with sand prior to bending it, the sand keeps it from collapsing. You can even bend it back a bit. Use sand blast material, tape ends closed after filling the line 100%. I’ve fixed a collapsed line like this after it got bent in shipping from Show Cars.

Iowa409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I went through this when doing my fuel lines, lots of great suggestions here, that will work.

I do plumbing work so I have every bender known to man, that helps. second re-clocking if you can helps.
3rd if you go to a different pump definitely test output pressure, I had that problem of excessive pressure on two new ones out of the box, the stated rating and tested rating were very different. good luck.

wristpin

Well Known Member
Are there numbers on that fuel pump? Ill contact my niece and see if she can get numbers off the pump on hers.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Are there numbers on that fuel pump? Ill contact my niece and see if she can get numbers off the pump on hers.
Wouldn't it be simpler for 1 adaptor and 1 elbow and then he can attach a fuel line with very little bending involved, Rather than change fuel pumps and they probably wont take old one back because it was mounted and possibly change incoming fuel Position which might interfere . Also it will still require a sharp bend for output line. The one adaptor will bring it out from pump about width of a nut connector which might be needed Anyway to get elbow screwed in without hitting pump. Two simple fittings and attach line. My 2 cents.

Last edited:

wristpin

Well Known Member
Wouldn't it be simpler for 1 adaptor and 1 elbow and then he can attach a fuel line with very little bending involved, Rather than change fuel pumps and they probably wont take old one back because it was mounted and possibly change incoming fuel Position which might interfere . Also it will still require a sharp bend for output line. The one adaptor will bring it out from pump about width of a nut connector which might be needed Anyway to get elbow screwed in without hitting pump. Two simple fittings and attach line. My 2 cents.
I was only suggesting