Off to Union Grove in the morning

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Looks like a fair amount of weight in the fingers....how many turns of base if you want to share?

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
Just got home, only one run today 10.61@133. Hotter than hell! A new converter will take care of my 60’ issue. I will be making some calls tomorrow! Otherwise the car ran great. Will wait till after Ohio to change the converter. Way too much stuff to do around here.

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
I’ll tell ya anything you want to know!
Was 4.5 turns with 63 grams. Gonna try 3 turns with 66 grams. 3 turns is only 300 pounds. My combo is 180 degrees from yours though. Don’t compare the two.

The weight is on the end of the fingers....?......The clutch pack is held to gather by the six large studs with multi point nuts on them ........correct......?........The 4 1/2 turns is on the set screw like a pre-load that’s tightened with the nut....? Thank you ahead of time .........I guess I went off of the second picture with my description

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The weight is on the end of the fingers. That dictates how much centrifugal force is applied to the fingers. More centrifugal force pulling on the fingers adds more clamping force. Yes, the whole works is held to the flywheel by those six nuts. On Russ's, the "spacers" underneath the nuts are are threaded to adjust for wear. On mine, there are shims between the pressure plate cover and flywheel. There are screws that turn and compress the springs to add pressure which is referred to as base pressure. It's a balancing act between centrifugal and base pressure that makes the whole deal work.

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
I think Russ' and Dan's are both sintered iron discs, may be wrong in that. My disc is bronze. I set mine up with the correct shims, 4.25 turns of base and 32 grams on the fingers. It still didn't work right until I gave it a bunch of free pedal. I read something on RAM website about doing that. Not sure what's going on there. I don't think Mike changed any linkage last time. I'm going to call RAM clutches about that free pedal thing unless someone has an idea???

Last edited:

RussC

Well Known Member
I used the single Ram in the red belair...later went to a single Bonnifonte. The tuning window was narrow on both. The clutch was either locked up or you drove through it. I finally ran it locked up. The Ram was a paddle disk...Bonnifonte splintered iron.

The current set up is very timetable. We separate it .60-.90 at the launch and .32-.36 in a gear change. This being said...we spend a good deal of effort on the clutch. The disks get cut after a half dozen passes. Two guys can change them out in 20-30 minutes