Off topic

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Hi everyone. They said this sub forum can be off topic so here it goes. I have a question. Just curious. What is everyone doing with their investments?? I've been dabbling in the stock market since 1986. Overall, it's been very good to me. But, I am older and more conservative now. I don't have the time to recover if I make a bad decision. It seems that the market is all over the place. Up and down. Very unstable, at least to me. Guess it mirrors the present times/climate. I've pretty much have always looked at growth stocks that pay a decent dividend. Always selected my own. I have a few that I recently sold for a nice gain. Can't put the proceeds into my present bank that pays 0.20% interest. Are you kidding me. I looked to on line banking and found one I like that is a savings account; not a CD. It's paying 3.75% interest. Not bad at all. At least not for know. There are others that are paying more but I never heard of them, even though that are FDIC insured. I don't necessarily want a CD but some do look attractive. So, what are you nice folks doing with any excess monies you might have??? Thanks, Carmine.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I'm getting 4.2% on money market cash, available anytime, no penalty. Northwest. Hope the market holds up, don't want to go through another year like last year.
That's not bad at all considering what the brick/mortar banks are paying, in my area. I know it's hard to compete with on line banking because they don't have the same expenses. I've been with one bank since '77 and even tried to negotiate a better rate. They came up some but not even close to what is being offered on line. So, regrettably I had to make a move. I also saw some on line offerings at 5% for a CD. Don't recall the length of time. Maybe 4-5 years?? I have no interest in tying up money that long, Carmine.

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
I can not recall the name of the government funds for energy like solar, wind power, ect. Anyhow I don't care what the return is, I told my guy not to buy any. https://www.morningstar.com/investableworld?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=MORN-IW:G:S:NB:Reframing:US MORN-IW:ESG:Phrase&utm_content=engine:google|campaignid:18383727831|adid:622994456316|gclid:Cj0KCQiAx6ugBhCcARIsAGNmMbgoY_gNu7N0hAFpjSU1EqHGHfqv6g1JV4RDmMOGhtkefagir3kpgqYaAuc2EALw_wcB&utm_term=esg&gclid=Cj0KCQiAx6ugBhCcARIsAGNmMbgoY_gNu7N0hAFpjSU1EqHGHfqv6g1JV4RDmMOGhtkefagir3kpgqYaAuc2EALw_wcB

China started ESG Scores in 2014. Must be a great idea. Social credit score.

Any more money to invest is going in CD's at my local bank at a rate a couple of points higher than Tom's.

Looks like they're looking for a trillion more on the budget than last year. The Republicans will fight that....just for the show. They have increased the debt when in power just like the left has. Way too much fat.....but we did good saving the retirement/pension funds in Ukrane.

How's your 401k's doing the last couple of years??????

Last edited:

Toms63SSQB

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
How's your 401k's doing the last couple of years??????
No damn good at all Dave, like you i think we were both self employed, all the money in our reirement accounts is there because we earned it plus interest and dividends, no pension to suuplement income. We've had a 20% to 30% swing on return from 2021 until now. 10-15% return to 10-15% loss, i hate it.

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
No damn good at all Dave, like you i think we were both self employed, all the money in our reirement accounts is there because we earned it plus interest and dividends, no pension to suuplement income. We've had a 20% to 30% swing on return from 2021 until now. 10-15% return to 10-15% loss, i hate it.

I will not pull any money out of our investment, but I sure as hell won't invest anymore down that rathole when I'm assured of 4+ percent gain on CD's.
They are with a local bank I've dealt with my whole life with 2 locations. When I was in business I checked with other banks once and a while on intrest rates when borrowing and they were treating me well.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
My investments went down when economy went down as with Biden. I was told by my advisor after I asked her if others pulled theirs out. She said no, they just froze it' and stays at that level but don't make any up or down. She said about five couples with high figures did that. They can reactivate when they want. I was tempted to do that but she kind of swayed me off of that. I told her I didn't think at my age I would ever recover what I lost in time. She said you could be right but not impossible if things turn around. I have to withdraw a certain per cent every year which i really don't need or can reinvest into another account. So far it's hanging in there so I will just leave it alone. Years ago it really went down and a lot of the investors panicked and drawed out. I stayed in and it recovered plus more. So it's a day to day thing.

Last edited:

jdk971

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
ride it out. i am down alot. was down in 2008 and 2011. it cam back. if want to buy look at oil stocks. they pay good dividends.
bought some devon energy at 58 now down to 52 or 51. pays 6 or 7% dividend. jmho jim

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
This is something I am not good at. I have more than a few bucks doing absolutely nothing. I would say they are not losing anything, but with inflation they actually are :doh

Reactions: 327

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Hi everyone. They said this sub forum can be off topic so here it goes. I have a question. Just curious. What is everyone doing with their investments?? I've been dabbling in the stock market since 1986. Overall, it's been very good to me. But, I am older and more conservative now. I don't have the time to recover if I make a bad decision. It seems that the market is all over the place. Up and down. Very unstable, at least to me. Guess it mirrors the present times/climate. I've pretty much have always looked at growth stocks that pay a decent dividend. Always selected my own. I have a few that I recently sold for a nice gain. Can't put the proceeds into my present bank that pays 0.20% interest. Are you kidding me. I looked to on line banking and found one I like that is a savings account; not a CD. It's paying 3.75% interest. Not bad at all. At least not for know. There are others that are paying more but I never heard of them, even though that are FDIC insured. I don't necessarily want a CD but some do look attractive. So, what are you nice folks doing with any excess monies you might have??? Thanks, Carmine.

If I had your money I wouldn't worry about it

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
This is something I am not good at. I have more than a few bucks doing absolutely nothing. I would say they are not losing anything, but with inflation they actually are :doh

CD's are no risk Jeff. Guaranteed interest for the time frame you choose. Spread the length of time out. Split up your funds.

Do your due diligence.

Last edited:

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
If I had your money I wouldn't worry about it
Thanks for that very gracious comment Mike, but I was thinking the same thing about you lol.

I see two recent bank failures. One was Silicon Valley Bank in California. I don't recall the other one, but is could have also been in CA. I hope it's not a domino affect. Their failure put a little scare into the market. It will be interesting to see what Monday morning opening brings.

Jeff, don't be like me and just let a portion of money sit, doing nothing. Interest rate of 0.20% is nothing. You're losing money. Admittedly, I was too lazy to look at what was available. Big mistake on my part. I went on line and did some research. I went with a savings account paying 3.75% (but it can fluctuate) with a well known subsidiary of a bank/financial institution. I felt comfortable with name recognition. FDIC insured, but I haven't found one yet that isn't. With this type of account, you can add to or withdraw any time you'd like. No penalty. As mentioned by another member, CD's are also good. Most of the time it's a higher fixed interest rate, but you have to leave it for a period of time. I'm looking at liquid CD's. No penalty for early withdrawal and you must take it all and this closes your account.
When I was dabbling more in the stock market, I was always looking for solid, dividend paying stocks, paying about 3.50- 4%. I chose a few and they also became growth stocks which I never expected. They did extremely well. I established an exit strategy and the magic number hit and I bailed out. Took my profit and ran. Never looked back. Now I have a good interest rate and no fear of the losing money in the stock market. I'm getting too old and don't have time to recover if something takes a crap.
So, there you have it. Here is my disclaimer. Please don't take any direction or suggestion from me. I'm an amateur, novice and the above is based on my own personal experience. It certainly could be different for others. I'm sure there are things out there that some could do better at. Do your homework and happy investing, Carmine.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Over the weekend, I read about 2 bank failures in California; Silicon Valley Bank and Signature Bank. I don't know about Signature failing completely. One also yesterday in NY I heard. Don't know the name. SVB was a fairly large bank. 16th largest in the nation. The reason I mention this is that, according to the article, many individuals/companies had more then 250 thousand in accounts there. FDIC only covers up to that amount. How stupid can these people be?? Pretty stupid if you ask me. I would never make whole any of these accounts that had more then that amount in them. That's on them; their, arrogance, ignorance, maybe greed??? Just saw on tv minutes ago, that our gov't will make sure no one loses any money, at no cost to the taxpayer?? How can that be?? Isn't that our money to begin with for reimbursement purposes?? So how can it cost us nothing?? I know they are trying to avoid a bank run, but I don't care. I wouldn't give them a dime above the 250. The FDIC set this bar, so why not enforce it?? If not, why have it to begin with?? More nonsense on the part of this government. Change the rules to suit the situation. I read why it failed but I still don't quite understand it. If anyone could explain it in simple laymen terms, that would be nice. I hope this is a wakeup call to other lending institutions. Thanks, Carmine.