oil burning

johnnyrod

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Thanks fatride so me thinks its a differant problem rather than rings. Off with their heads said the queen. We will get to the bottom of this yet so stay tuned. John

Dond409

Supporting Member 1
oil smoke

You don't have enough miles on your engine yet. I would just keep driving it as is. A little smoke isn't going to hurt anything. The rings haven't seated yet. It took my 409 until the next year after I put the engine in the car. Right now you will see the oil level on the dipstick go down kind of quick. In 500 to 2000 miles you will suddenly notice that it will stop moving, and stay where it was the last time you checked it. When that happens guess what? The rings have finailly seated. Drive it and have fun. Don't worry about the smoke until you get at least 2000 miles on it. If someone ask you why it puffes on start up, just tell them it's a fresh engine and the rings haven't seated in yet. End of story.

chevymusclecars

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I just read the replies again and no one has ask you what kind of oil you are using, synthetics are not recommended for break in and will not allow the rings to seat.

johnnyrod

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I am using 10/30 Pennzoil. I have changed it once allready. OK I will drive it for a while and see how that works. Interesting that 2000 miles befor it stoped smokin.Good feed back guys many thanks I will keep yall posted . I tried the propane torch gas test and nothin no leaks. This is a fun engine and she sounds great. John :)

Dond409

Supporting Member 1
oil weight

10/30 seems a little thin to me. I have always used 20/50 Castrol in mine. What's your oil pressure at idle fully warmed up? In fact my engine machinist wanted me to run straight 40 weight. This could be part of your problem. All the big blocks that I have ever had I always used 20/50. They seem happier with that weight oil. Always use a AC/Delco filter too.

johnnyrod

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Thanks dond409 the oil pressure at idle is about 38 lbs. In gear it goes down to 22 lbs . Running at about 30 miles per its up to about 60. I will try the 20/50 and see how that works. I am useing a pennzoil filter. John