Oil consumption

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Carmine: Do your valve covers have drippers? If NOT, the Scorpions will fit under your covers with a Fel pro gasket, with No problems, even with Poly Loks.
No, no drippers. Just plain, stock valve covers. I ordered the Scorpion 1015's. I reread these threads as I always do, and saw that it was suggested the thicker the valve cover gasket, the better. So, I just ordered two gaskets from Rock Auto. One set is cork and the other is cork and rubber. I also have a set in my upper engine gasket set but I haven't looked to see which ones they might be. I'll pick the set that appears to be the thickest. I can always use valve cover gaskets. I take the valve covers off my 348/434 gasser motor on a yearly basis, Carmine.

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Which heads are you using? I'm sure the Bob Walla's (what I'm using) were build with a slightly taller edge/mount for the valve cover. I say this because with the stock valve covers on mine, in mock up, I don't have any clearance problems, even without a gasket in place. I think I'm using the 1.7 from Comp.

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I have crane gold 1.7 bbc rockers and they cleared even with longer than stock valves. They were VERY close though on the ends. I doubt a stamp would of fit between the cover and rocker. I use those thin steel spacers and with the extra gasket and there is acres of room. When I had edelbrock covers there was plenty of room as is. Just fyi. The scorpions are nice rockers.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Which heads are you using? I'm sure the Bob Walla's (what I'm using) were build with a slightly taller edge/mount for the valve cover. I say this because with the stock valve covers on mine, in mock up, I don't have any clearance problems, even without a gasket in place. I think I'm using the 1.7 from Comp.
Using 817 heads, Carmine.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Got my Scorpion rockers yesterday. Boy, Summit is quick with deliveries. I know little to nothing about rockers, but these look like real good quality. Being aluminum, I'm surprised as to how heavy they are. I did find 2 of them that had their upper left corner beveled. As the tech guy mentioned, they must be for #1 and #8 cylinder. I'm thinking the exhaust valve on each cylinder but will have to fit them to see. I also read their pamphlet in re. to adjusting these/valves and it was a little confusing. I'll reread it several more times and I'm sure I'll get it. I think I'll also ask the machinist to demonstrate on one of the motors there the correct way to adjust the valves with these rockers. Looking forward to getting this back together. Speaking of that, after measuring for push rods and I'm ready for the rockers, I was thinking about soaking them in oil for a day or so. Kind of getting them pre lubed. Is this a preferred method or it doesn't matter?? Thanks, Carmine.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
It's not a bad idea,but 30 minutes is enough to do what you want.The adjustment is as easy as adjusting the stock pieces,then add locking down the poly lock.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Got my Scorpion rockers yesterday. Boy, Summit is quick with deliveries. I know little to nothing about rockers, but these look like real good quality. Being aluminum, I'm surprised as to how heavy they are. I did find 2 of them that had their upper left corner beveled. As the tech guy mentioned, they must be for #1 and #8 cylinder. I'm thinking the exhaust valve on each cylinder but will have to fit them to see. I also read their pamphlet in re. to adjusting these/valves and it was a little confusing. I'll reread it several more times and I'm sure I'll get it. I think I'll also ask the machinist to demonstrate on one of the motors there the correct way to adjust the valves with these rockers. Looking forward to getting this back together. Speaking of that, after measuring for push rods and I'm ready for the rockers, I was thinking about soaking them in oil for a day or so. Kind of getting them pre lubed. Is this a preferred method or it doesn't matter?? Thanks, Carmine.
Did it feel like Christmas Carmine !!!!!:D Hurry and open up the present.....

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
It's not a bad idea,but 30 minutes is enough to do what you want.The adjustment is as easy as adjusting the stock pieces,then add locking down the poly lock.

I read through the direction sheet very quickly and maybe that added a little to my confusion. I thought they might adjust similar to stock but wasn't quite sure. Without looking again, I'm pretty sure they mentioned the movement up and down of the pushrod between the rocker and lifter, for adjustment purposes. I always thought it was the twisting movement of the pushrod, meeting resistance, that was my focus. Anyhow, I will read it again.

Yes Don, it does seem like Christmas came early this year, but who's complaining LOL, Carmine.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Carmine, did you get that green GTO? Looks good and is a real good price.

If we're talking about the green one on Craigslist, no I haven't yet. I called the guy last night and left a voice mail. Will try again tomorrow night. I have the worse luck with Craigslist. Either they never get back to me or they try and scam me. I really would like to see this car. It's only 30-40 minutes from me, Carmine.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I always call back many times if necessary, some people just don't bother checking their voice mail or e mails. I've always been amazed at how someone can place something for sale and then not bother to check for replies.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I always call back many times if necessary, some people just don't bother checking their voice mail or e mails. I've always been amazed at how someone can place something for sale and then not bother to check for replies.
I'm going to try him again tonight.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Why tonight? Call daytime that may be a work number. His picture looks like a business. He appears to be legitimate, checked him out and he has other little things for sale, some misc Ford parts and has sold a few things on Ebay.

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Persistence pays! Nowadays sellers are VERY lazy. I've learned when buying W-motor parts to call, call, call and tell the seller you are on the way with cash. They won't hold parts and typically just sell to the first one that shows up with money so that might as well be you! You aren't trying to make a friend you are trying to acquire a car. So persistence is the only way to buy.