oil out of front fill tube

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
I,ll cut you some slack. How did you shoot? I just started taking my 8 year old, Luke, shooting .22's a couple weeks ago. He does very well and enjoys it alot. My wife and I got him a single shot .22 for his birthday this year.[/qu

That's one lucky kid.........need more out there. The match was the largest benchrest match held in the world annually. It is a 4 day shoot with shooters from all over the world attending. Over 250 shooters. I shot like crap the first day. The second day i came in 4th. Shot fairley well the next 2 days and finished 23 for the whole event............which is the 22nd loser. If i had shot better the first day, i would have probably made the top 5. Thanks for asking. If I had not spent last week shooting, i would have trailered the "64" to Thompson for this weekend. The final weak link(driveshaft) is in progress.

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
No Thompson for me either. :grumble Maybe next year. Sorry to hear about your off day. I'll bet it was still better than work though. Must be a thrill to be shooting with the worlds best. I have always enjoyed guns and shooting. I hope to pass it down to my son. Safety first! Brian

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Hi Dave,
What range and calibre??
Im away Quail hunting this weekend, opening of the season, in the snow and ice down south.
Steve

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Steve
Where are you hunting at? I shoot the 6mmPPC mostly at 100 and 200 yard group shoots.

Here's what i'm going to try on my oil spitting problem due to no plug in my intake. First i'm going to try putting a pvc in my vent/fill tube, hook it to my front carb vaccum, and if that doesn't stop it, i'll try putting baffles on the inside of the tube.:dunno

Barry Taylor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
My buddy Ronnie and I had a shooting match Tuesday and he ain't no Freakin puter either.

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
I am working on a breather that will fit inside the tube as we speak.

Brian

Are you going to put more stuff that looks like steel wool in there? I'm thinking about making a sleeve/tube with 2 or 3 baffles in it and slide it down the existing vent/fill tube.

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
My buddy Ronnie and I had a shooting match Tuesday and he ain't no Freakin puter either.

Barry, I'm sorry but I don't understand............ ????:rub:dunno:scratch Does this mean Ronnie can shoot or that standing on the dock he couldn't hit his lake with a scatter gun ????

Dave

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
I will be using all baffles, no steel wool. Will be 2 or 3 chamber and fit inside the stock filler neck.

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
FWIW,,,, expansion plugs ( freeze plugs ) drilled with lots of holes , then tack welded upper and lower in the oil filler tube is a help. Cheap and efficient.

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Should have mentioned that if the oil fill tube is baffled, then you have to be concerned about oil changes. Oil does not like the baffles,, takes a long time to fill crankcase.

BRYAN FUGATE

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Thought I would touch base on this as I had the problem with my first 409 build back in 94 and just happened to read this post before i left for Thompson last week. So here is what happened I have breathers that I did install on valve covers no pvc and no road draft hole.Oil started spitting out of front oil fill breather (no shield full throttle going down track).Picked up a shielded breather put it on with shield facing fan ran car full throttle a little less oil spitting, turn the breather around with shield facing the back of the car and not a drop of oil came out at full throttle so problem solved for me for now. Hope this helps I'll try and post a pic once I can get it loaded.

Hi Guys
I'm just wondering what to do with the rear hole in my Offey manifold ? If i run the pcv from the filler tube, with a sealed twist cap.
do i run a hose on the back to a catch can , i don't want to have a discharge pipe?
This is for my 409 in my 57 150
Thanks
Paul

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Run it with a pcv in the rear port and an open[breather] cap on the front of the engine.An alternative would be as you suggested except to plumb the rear port of that manifold into the air cleaner.

plumcrazy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Wow, this thread brought up some memories, miss a lot of guys on this thread :>(... Dave, Brian, Ronnie, Derry, great bunch who knew their shit and loved engineering, which is a lot more esteemed than just a typical knuckle buster. I still pull up there threads for lessons, amazing knowledge...

Bomar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I just ran into that problem with oil coming up and out of the filler tube. Some of the blocks are open to the timing chain. if you have the filler tube out of the intake, put your finger in there and you can feel the timing chain. I'm going to weld a deflector at the bottom of the filler tube at an angle so the the oil can't go up the tube. The deflector will be in the lifter valley not in the tube.