Oil pump priming tool

Red 409 63 impala

Well Known Member
Is there a difference between the distributor shaft used for 409 and other Chevy big blocks? I borrowed a prime tool from a friend and the shaft on my 09 distributor has a bigger diameter than than the tool. Just wondering.

32witha409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Yes they are different. On a 348 or 409, you need the boss that pilots the bottom portion of the distributor bore. That boss diverts oil around the distributor body to supply oil the one of the lifter oil galleries. If you look at your distributor, you'll see the groove running around the lower boss.
Additionally, the two bosses on the 348/409 distributor are bigger in diameter than both a SBC and BBC.

I made a priming tool out of a spare distributor. I believe you can buy a tool from the 409 parts suppliers.

WENGINE

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Yes BB&SB primers will not work just be careful of the ones you can buy for W engines the one I got had a very small 1/4” shaft end tapered down from the 1/2” shaft that comes off the tool end. I know I tightened it into the drill chuck as hard as I could but when the pump built up to full pressure it broke loose and sprayed metal fillings everywhere, I’m still cleaning up that mess and haven’t turned the engine over since

alexm900

Well Known Member
Related question: can one prime a W engine with a standard sbc/bbc oil primer tool
AND the distributor adapter sleeve (showcars #7719) ?

ARP130-88021.jpgSleeve7719.jpg

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
If I remember correctly, I had the machine shop put together the bottom half of my 348/434 build. I did the rest in my garage. Came time to prime it and I couldn't get oil to the rockers. Oil was coming out of the distributor hole past the tool. This priming tool was one size fits all but it didn't. Returned to the machine shop and told the owner about my experience. Left the tool with him and he machined a new part. Slightly bigger I think. Returned home and the tool worked perfectly, Carmine.

32witha409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Related question: can one prime a W engine with a standard sbc/bbc oil primer tool
AND the distributor adapter sleeve (showcars #7719) ?

View attachment 139646View attachment 139644
Your questions sounds like, if you made the sleeves, could you use them to prime a W while using an off the shelf drive shaft. Not that simple. The vertical position of the lower sleeve needs to be controlled. Guess you'll need to try it out and see what will be necessary to go that way.

I used a SBC/BBC dizzy stem end and shaft, but pressed two sleeves on to the lower sleeve, increasing the diameter to match the W dizzy to stop oil passing it. Machined a 3/8 hex on the drive end to make it easier to chuck.

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Years ago I made a primer for sbc/bbc. I machined off the teeth of the distributor drive.
Then when I needed one for my 409, I couldn't find aluminum stock to build it, but I had some brass stock. So I made it the same dimension as the lower end of my 409 distributor. To change the lower sleeve, I knock out the roll pin in the lower gear, slip on the brass sleeve and replace the gear and pin.

primer tool.jpg