Oil with zink

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
I've heard it goes "bad" even setting in an engine. I don't understand why it would go bad in a sealed can????

Sometimes equipment would set for a year before using again at work. Never changed oil, never even thought about it. I don't think the engine knew the difference.

dakota tom

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
There was some Quaker state oil about 20 years ago that would gell in cold weather.
Oils have many additives that will loose their bonding to the base oil over time. I was told a couple of years self life.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I've heard it goes "bad" even setting in an engine. I don't understand why it would go bad in a sealed can????

Sometimes equipment would set for a year before using again at work. Never changed oil, never even thought about it. I don't think the engine knew the difference.
Neither do I but that's what the "experts" say if you google oil shelf life. They claim it breaks down after 5 years

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
Back in the 80's we had a 73 F*rd LTD. I bought it from my wife's childhood girlfriend. :rolleyesYeah I know. Car was a Money Pit Turd.:thumbdown Anyhow, this particular week, we got more than 2 feet of heavy snow. It took my Dad, my Wife and I, a couple days, to get my car out. Bad enough, was the snow, but the temperature took a nose dive, down below zero.:drop My Wife and Dad, got their grocery list situated, and we started our journey, to our local Price Chopper. Of course with this kind of cold, the battery turned the engine over very slow. Finally it started. The noise we heard coming from the engine was very alarming. Very Noisy lifters. WTF. :eek3Just had a oil change, a couple days ago. Quaker State oil. We let the engine warm up for 20 or 30 minutes. The engine didn't quiet down. I told Dad, well, we need food. It the motor seizes up, on the way to the store, we'll have to walk home. We made it to the store, did our shopping and made it back home. :clapEngine never quieted down. A few days later, there was an article in the newspaper, claiming Quaker State sold some defective oil. Quaker State said they would pay customer's a certain amount of money, if their oil damaged anyone's engine. After a few days went by, I drained that shit out, and put Pennzoil oil in. Almost immediately, the engine went back to normal. :clapI Never used Quaker State oil again.

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2

I was told condensation can build up causing acids and breakdown of the oil left in vehicles, usually outside or humid places :dunno That's why I was always told that you change it yearly even if it sits. Don't know if any of it's true though.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I was told condensation can build up causing acids and breakdown of the oil left in vehicles, usually outside or humid places :dunno That's why I was always told that you change it yearly even if it sits. Don't know if any of it's true though.
True but they claim it goes bad in a sealed can after 5 years

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Back in the 80’s I started working at a Kmart auto center. I serviced a lot of vehicles. Just about every Ford where the owner used Quaker State was sludged up so bad, it took forever to refill with new oil. The oil would overflow out the fill hole if you weren’t paying attention.

SSpev

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
SE Obsolete CAUTION: Not suitable for use in most gasoline-powered automotive engines built after 1979.

SD Obsolete CAUTION: Not suitable for use in most gasoline-powered automotive engines built after 1971. Use in more modern engines may cause unsatisfactory performance or equipment harm

SF Obsolete CAUTION: Not suitable for use in most gasoline-powered automotive engines built after 1988. May not provide adequate protection against build-up of engine sludge