Old Gas Station

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
My parents 60th Anniversary was this past weekend and they had a board with lots of old pictures on it.
This was one of my favorite ones and I thought you might like it also,,,
This was in the late 50`s,,, My fathers station,, Helena Montana

391380230.jpg

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
Happy Anniversary Mom & Pop. 28 more and me & the mrs.will be up there with you. Enjoy it in good health !!:clap:clap:cheers

:crazy:cheers

WENGINE

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Great shot DQ That one would get blown up and framed for sure. 50s/60s gas station just the way I remember them:beerbang Ken

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Congrats to your folks DQ. 60 years is quite an accomplishment. Great photo!

At college, I became friends with 2 students from Helena in late 61. One worked at a Conoco station, Dale Gardner, the other was at a service station across the street, Bob Utick. I wonder if your dad knows either of these names.

That photo brings back old memories. I wish I could read the price on the pump:D.

bobs409

Administrator
Cool! I love those vintage pics. A simpler time. Sometimes wish I could jump in my time machine and go there for a while. :D

Dick MacKenzie

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
That's a cool old picture in it's own right dq! Add in the fact it's your dad's station, now that's really something!

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
That's highway robbery! :cuss :D

My God, what happened? I know there is inflation but come on. :cry

You think about what the price of gas was back then and what it still cost before the imbargo in the early 70`s plus the cost of a house then and now and you wonder how any of us can survive with the prices of today!

I remember the price of gas while I was in high school in the late 60`s as still being around 20-22 cents a gal. and you could still get a really nice house for 17K,, and a new car for a couple grand!!!

so,, if inflation on those products is ten times then our wages should be too,,, is yours??? Not mine,,,

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
When I, started driving in 1962, gas was 12 cents a gallon.:clap:clapHi test was 3 cents more. I used to bring, soda and beer bottles, back to the store for gas money.:clap:clap

DaveFoster

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
I started driving a truck in 65, truck stop diesel fuel in the city of Chicago was 8 cents a gallon for several years back then, a fill up from near empty with our 100 gallon tank was seven dollars and 87 cents.

WENGINE

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Remember cruzin and dragging in my gas guzzling hot rod all weekend with 5 bucks worth 5 bucks wasn't easy to come by then. Good times. Ken

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
We used to spend our lunch money on gas, cut school and drive to the beach.
Can't do that now,,, it would take a weeks worth of lunch money to do that now,,,:cry

Awhhhh,,, the good ol` days!!!:beerbang

region rat

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Wow, I thought I was old!! I can remember Sunoco economy 190 for 27.9. Gas used to be a waste product. Can't waste much now. Great picture. Is the station still there? Bob

wrench

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
More Vintage Gas Stations

For Bob! (and others)

Attachments

• 4639343561_bd81ba6025_o.jpg
    4639343561_bd81ba6025_o.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 44
  • 4646643438_4e7cd6e159_o.jpg
    4646643438_4e7cd6e159_o.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 41
  • 4646643426_166f84f1a4_o.jpg
    4646643426_166f84f1a4_o.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 41

wrench

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
Someone is buying up old gas stations here in Foat Wuth and restoring them to their former glory. I've heard an Enco (Exxon) may in line for a similar treatment.

Enjoy!

Attachments

• Sinclair2.jpg
    Sinclair2.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 39
  • Sinclair4.jpg
    Sinclair4.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 37
  • Sinclair1.jpg
    Sinclair1.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 30
  • Sinclair3.jpg