Original Rearend

CVECCH409

Hi guys every time my 09 hooks up my rearend breaks I need to make a change. I need the new one to be about 3/4" shorter on each side and want disc brakes with a second upper control arm currie is about $3500 seams high. Any suggestions would be GREAT!!!!!:bow

Any suggestions would be GREAT!!!!!:bow

I have no idea:dunno
62belair409july132007dragracerearlf.jpg

Original rear housing. Bearing cap girdles, 30 spline / large bearing axles, webbed housing, 2nd upper control arm bracket with extensions, Wilwood aluminum calipers / hubs, custom made aluminum adaptor flanges.
Mounting surfaces at axle flanges are 1/2" narrower on each side ( 1/2" more wheel clearance )... housing is still stock length.

johnnyrod

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
You must have some serious horsepower there. Sounds like it needs a serious rearend. Is that Currie complete drop in for that price? They do make a good product. I have a ford 9 in mine no disk brakes.I got 2000.00 in mine and mostly used stuff and lots of my labor, Maybe 3500 is not so bad.

CVECCH409

Aubrey I'll be calling today I need my car ready for a great show in Atwood Kansas May 17. They have drags at the old airport it's a blast, especially when the 4 0 9 hasn't been B E A T:brow

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Atwood KS

That's NW Kansas, near the Nebraska border, correct?

Perhaps you'd be interested in connecting up if a bunch of us decide to get together in the Midwest this summer? No firm plans as to date and location, but there are a number of guys with 409 cars that like to get together and race at both large and small venues :).

Cheers,
TomK
Columbia, MO

MileHiSS

Supporting Member 1
That's two weeks before GoodGuys ,Colorado. We went two years ago, and had a blast. I raced my 57 for the fist time, and got smoked by a Turbo'd V-6 Buick with Nitros.

The beer and pizza was sure good though. We've already got it on our calender for this year.

Here is the address for the Atwood Early Rod Run.

http://www.atwoodrodrun.com/
My cousin's car is the orange 32 Ford Coupe on the web site this year. It won overall first place last year. He is currently workin on another 32 Ford Coupe with a 409. I can't wait to see it.

Atwood is a good time.

Been there for the last 3 years. You won't be disappointed.
Stop by the motel if you get a chance. My uncle's car club "The Road Nights" from Loveland, CO have the motel reserved.
We will be cooking up hotdogs the night of the dance. I am planning on having my 409 there.
Jeff

CVECCH409

I had my 63 there last year it's a dark blue 09 with 18 & 20" wheels I raced a 70 olds 455 poor guy .:roll Hopefully we can get some more 09's out there this year. Aubrey I'd sure like to get that same set up from you. My email is cvecchiarelli@hanksautobody.com. My visa # 1963 6363 6363 0490 expires 04/09 kidding if you get this please email me. thanks

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
I have no idea:dunno
62belair409july132007dragracerearlf.jpg

Original rear housing. Bearing cap girdles, 30 spline / large bearing axles, webbed housing, 2nd upper control arm bracket with extensions, Wilwood aluminum calipers / hubs, custom made aluminum adaptor flanges.
Mounting surfaces at axle flanges are 1/2" narrower on each side ( 1/2" more wheel clearance )... housing is still stock length.

Aubrey, how did the upper extentions help? How does it change the instant center.What are the dimensions of the uppers? I have been chasing a wheel hop problem for years. I have air bags, boxed stock uppers/lowers, poly bushings and drag shocks. Rear still hops with street tires. Launches fine with slicks. Car was dead level when I ran 255/15/60s. I have 275/15/60s now with a very slight forward rake. What are you using for upper control arms?

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
My visa # 1963 6363 6363 0490 expires 04/09 kidding

WOW, That was funny. My jaw just hit the keyboard.:roll

My keyboard is broken with a jaw imprint also. :eek: :eek: I just have had a round with Mastercard and have a new card issued because of a bunch of fake paypal changes that they didn't want to remove. Mastercard removed them!!!!!(new card issued:beerbang ) Phil don't ring me up more 348/409 parts on my old card as you will be surprised:roll
robert

bubbletop1961

Well Known Member
Aubrey, how did the upper extentions help? How does it change the instant center.What are the dimensions of the uppers? I have been chasing a wheel hop problem for years. I have air bags, boxed stock uppers/lowers, poly bushings and drag shocks. Rear still hops with street tires. Launches fine with slicks. Car was dead level when I ran 255/15/60s. I have 275/15/60s now with a very slight forward rake. What are you using for upper control arms?

This is a link to how my upper relocate went. Hope it helps a little. I havent tried it with regular radials.
http://www.348-409.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11700&highlight=upper+relocate

I remember that thread, Bubble:bow

Ray, it was easy:deal
With the two brackets already installed, I had the empty housing mounted to the control arms, and raised and supported it in the chassis, at ride height.
I then simply unbolted the left upper from the housing, and lifted it to the point where I wanted the new bolt location to be ( about 1 3/4" ), and propped it up there. I then made a pair of carboard templates, and cut some 3/16" plate in the shape I needed them, and tack wended them to the tops of the existing bracket on the housing... marked where the hole has to be, pulled them back off, went to the drill press, and drilled the two new holes.
Went back to the car, placed the two plates on top of the existing left-side control arm bracket, ran the bolt through the assembly ( plate / control arm bushing / plate ), and welded the plates to the top of the bracket.
Not close... just a very simple way to get it dead on.
Then I reversed the procedure for the right side.

The factory shims are still in the upper mount at the frame, I'm using factory upper and lower arms... so the housing is where the factory put it. Nothing disturbed.

What did it do ?
Well, for the first time in this car, when I launched it on clean, new pavement... I got that jump/lunge that I've been seeking for three(3) years:deal
Mind you, I still had to use no more than about 2/3 throttle, letting the clutch out at about 4000 RPM...
When the front tires came off the ground in the first 20 feet, I got excited, floored it... und spun the slicks off again.
Rear shocks too loose... wouldn't let the rear come back down when the nose was up... hampering the weight transfer.
Just a shock tuning problem now... which by comparision, is easy !

Tic's60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Rear shocks too loose... wouldn't let the rear come back down when the nose was up... hampering the weight transfer.
Just a shock tuning problem now... which by comparision, is easy !

So some of those double adjustable shocks would be killer then :D Spendy yes but they are excellent for issues like this and can be dialed in with no tools so you can have street settings and strip settings. I played with a set yesterday on a car.

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
So Aubrey, what do you think the optimal height is on the extension? I see another member has raised his uppers 2". With the 1 3/4" extended bracket could I use a straight uper control arm instead of the stock arched ones?

TomO

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
What about lowering the front of the control arm?? This would take a new bolt on braket and some shims to set the pinion.

TomO

Ray, I'm BY NO MEANS even a half-wit when it comes to this stuff, so I can only talk of what mine did. And what it did, was literally JUMP up out of the hole. Quite a sensation really:deal ... On the initial hit, the rear of the car RAISES about 2" on the suspension.
Yes, I believe the raised mounting would allow straight upper arms.

TomO... again, as I mentioned above:rolleyes: ... :p ... though I can't help but think that lowering that front mount on thr frame, would create a really wierd "pivoting" action of the rear axle housing in it's range of suspension travel, because the upper and lower front mounts end up, theoretically, almost on the same radial axis. Would also seem that it would cause some ungodly, horrific force on the upper bracket on the frame:dunno

Don, My daughter did a short video... 2-3 seconds too late:bang :bang :bang .... catches the car JUST as the front end came back down, and the tires let loose... again:bang
good noise though
I've been trying to post the video on my website for 8 months, but there's something wrong with my system:cuss