Our HERO HAYDEN......

bjburnout

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Received a text from Lisa Proffitt.....Hayden passed away at 12:30 this morning.....August 19, 2022.
My HERO!!!!!!!
My Hero as well Phil........:bow. You introduced him to me at the '04 Convention.
Hayden signed my T-shirt of his '62 and he autographed my 'MILE 409' sign.
As a kid of 16 in 1962 I remember vividly reading about Hayden Proffitt and
his Super Stock exploits................:cool:
R.I.P. Hayden.........thanx for the memories........:)

benchseat4speed

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Dear Lord, Assist our dear friend Hayden in finding his serenity. Allow him to feel your comfort. Assist him in feeling at ease, knowing that you love and care for him. Calm his soul as he passes through the gates of the afterlife. May he spend eternity with you; may he live in your company forever. We pray in the name of your Son, our Savior, Lord Jesus Christ. Amen.

God’s peace my friend. And, God’s speed.

I really appreciate posts like this in 2022. This Godless society we live in now, I really like knowing there's still God fearing patriots out there.

What a monumental loss for the 409 and drag racing community. I am deeply saddened to hear this news and will keep Hayden’s family in my prayers. He is an inspiration to me and will be missed. RIP HP!
View attachment 110673

Evan, you are paying the ultimate tribute to one of many legends who slammed gears in the 60's. One day your completed 63 will be parked next to his 62 bubbletop.

Received a text from Lisa Proffitt.....Hayden passed away at 12:30 this morning.....August 19, 2022.
My HERO!!!!!!!

Heard this news elsewhere and, it brought me back here. Made me think of you guys here on the board, you especially Phil. You say Hayden is your hero well, you're my hero too Phil. There I was, and still am, a F'n nobody from CO at the '14 convention wondering around and you stuck your hand out and said 'Hey Kevin, I'm Phil good to meet ya!' You have no idea how far that went. Even now. The only reason I got to meet Hayden that day, and wear a T-shirt with his autograph on it for the rest of my life is this group. Going through a real rough patch in life right now but I sure have a soft spot for this group of guys. I'll be back at the W engine stuff soon. Now Hayden can finally catch up with Les Ritchey, and countless others. I wonder what St. Peter asks a drag racer like Hayden Proffitt lol. Being much younger than all you guys and looking up to all of you it's a gut punch when I hear yet another has passed on.

Sorry to read about the loss of this great man. Never had the pleasure of meeting him, but have certainly read a lot about him and truly inspiring.

Phil, obviously a GREAT friend of yours and I can only imagine how broken hearted you are right now. Condolences you to and the Profit family on such a sad loss.
May the great racetracks in the sky keep his memories alive. GOD SPEED.

Gav

My thoughts exactly, word for word.

Thanks for the memories, I’ll always treasure this moment and the conversations we had that weekend

That photo is burned into my memory. Hayden presenting your trophy for winning class in a W powered 63 Impala, 52 years after he won the nationals in his W powered 62. How friggin cool is that.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Well we have at least a dozen here in the Llano motel. Services will be at 11AM. The we will all eat at the Tow Community Center for our noon meal. Then we will have a full afternoon of Hayden's stories and lies!!!!!! Looks to be a good time in remembering Hayden!!!!! RIP!!!!

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Sorry to hear this about Hayden, I personally have never met the man but know he was a dear friend to many on this webb site especially Phil.
I have read a lot about him as he is one of the most important figures in the 409 world, I will be praying for the entire Proffitt family and all his friends here on this webb site.

George Klass

Well Known Member
Although I did not "know" Hayden that well, I met and talked to him several times, beginning in 1961 (he was racing his '61 Catalina) at San Fernando Drag Strip. He will be missed. The only Super Stock pilot I ever heard of that raced and won, driving Pontiacs, Chevys, Mercurys and Plymouths...

Last edited:

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
The church service with Navy Honor Guard presenting the flag to Brad, Hayden's oldest son, to the service itself and the dinner at the Tow Community Center.....it was a lovely day. Lots of tears. They had a video running all afternoon of pictures with Hayden and his friends.
We had a good turnout....Wayne Clausen, Pat Lobb, Dickiemac and his lovely bride Joann, Harold Clay and Debbie (his friend), Tom and Tommy Jacobson from Payson, AZ and my dear friend Bob and Linda Davey from the Indianapolis area. Harold was the one who built the Hayden car. His work is absolutely awesome!!!!
We gathered at Hayden's house and exchanged memories!!!!!!
I am closing this with the last picture of Hayden's dock......I think it says it all.
RIP Hayden......

Attachments

• 20220827_180127.jpg
    20220827_180127.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 36
  • 20220827_180135.jpg
    20220827_180135.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 35