Paint choice

60biscayne409

Well Known Member
Hi, well time to paint the old 60 chev, I like to try to paint it myself, I paint a bit but not a pro, maybe try save a bit of money I hope.
I have a good place to paint, good comp, and a good gun to and car is all prepare
The thing is, I like to know which paint will be best to buy and lest trouble to paint the car with, any suggestion will be appreciate ,white is the color i like to paint my car , thanks.
60biscayne409

Tic's60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
There are alot of paint choices BUT it depends on in the end how you take care of it. My first choice is base coat clear coat. Last longer than anything. Easyest single stage urathane
Tons of kits on esay http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/COMP...ItemQQcategoryZ63702QQitemZ200092361332QQrdZ1

urathane works fine but left in the sun alot it will fade quickly. Then from there you can move up to 3 steps paint $$$$$$$$$$$.

Give me an idea of your color scheme and budget and I'll get back to you.

Most important though is PREP WORK. Prep bad paint bad...

DaveFoster

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
I always tell my customers to use whatever paint your painter is most familiar with, it takes many paint jobs to really get to know your product. But here is some absolutely excellent advice; read the instructions before you begin, you would be shocked how many people never read the instructions and screw up a paint job, if the can doesn't have instructions on it all you have to do is ask the supplier for a copy of the written instructions, because some of the major professional paint companies have eliminated instructions from there labels, I think to make it hard for the novice to use their product. That might not make sence to you but the California paint suppliers even went so far as to make sure my shop was licensed several years back, and one of them made me sign a release form stating that I was responsible for anything I bought from them. It always pi#$es me off when i pick up a can of paint leftover from a prior job, in a brand that I don't usually use and I can't remember the mixing ratio and there is no info on the can. White is the great hider, it will hide waves and most any imperfection, and a clean, done nice white car will catch your eye. My choice would be basecoat clearcoat, very easy to work with once you figure it out, and any mistakes can be eliminated quickly, spot work is easier, and costs aren't out of site anymore unless you buy synthetic enamel, like Western or Nason, they are cheap but they will dissapoint you sometimes. I even painted my stock car with basecoat clearcoat, and a paint job on a stock car has about the same life expectancy as a door gunner on a Huey in combat, thirty seconds or two laps. When you decide what paint you're going to use post what it is here and some of us will try to give you some tips for that product.

bubbletop1961

Well Known Member
I painted my car about 2 years ago. It was the first car I ever painted. It was alot of fun and would do it again. BUT, as tic's60 said "prepwork, prepwork, and prepwork". I could of taken a bit more time with prepwork and I have a couple of spots that prove that now.
I used a one step acrylic enamal. It was PPG Delstar. It went very smooth and was pretty easy for a first timer. The simplicity of the one step was great for a rookie. Although I have talked to alot of people since and they all say "why not base clear?" Lookin back I wish I would have gave it more of a chance. I am now ready to repaint part of the car and alot of people are telling that enamal is hard to blend in right. They all have that look on their face when I ask why. So if it was me, I would take a good look at base clear if I was doing another paint from scratch.

tripowerguy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I have painted 3 cars in my life. So I'm one of those do it yourselfers by necessity. NO MONEY! The first car was a 59 El Camino, I used Enamel, looked good but didn't last. The second was a 64 Impala SS and there was a lot of body work on that car did it in Enamel again but with assuances that it would last and it did. The car is in Florida someplace now. My 58 was the last one I did and I sanded all the paint off, no stripper, and used base coat clear coat with two stage primer. This is the best paint job and is tough as nails. The enamel cars scatched easily but this car acts like it has coat of armor. A lot more work with base coat clear coat but you will love it once it is done.:clap Roy

TomO

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I used base coat clear coat system. Infact I used Omni and found the mixing and surface prep sheets to be invaluable. They told me exactly what to do and in what order!!! The Omni line has primers/sandable primers/ base coat / and clear coat. The trick for me was preparation. I did sand till my fingers bled and then kept going. It is very easy to touch up and blend back in. It is tough as nails as tripower says, but nothing can withstand a tricycle with a good motor. I was a first timer as well. I spent some time and made sure that I talked to the paint shop and followed their advice. I did buy a good paint gun set up for base and clear. Air line filters are a must to keep the moisture out. Take your time and you will end up with a great looking car.

TomO

60biscayne409

Well Known Member
You guys have save me a lot of trouble, now my mind is set, thanks you alls, this site is by far the best site for cars guys , hard to beat, THANKS
60biscayne409

droptop62

Supporting Member 1
As Tic mentioned above, prep is the most crucial part of the paint job.
I don't care if you use the cheapest enamel single stage, or the most expensive 2-stage paint on the planet. if your prep isn't good enough, it will show. most do it your selfers think their car is sanded good enough because they are so eager to pull the trigger on the paint gun. usually with very disapointing results. you will see every single flaw if you don't spend the time on the prep. sanding scratches, bad feather on body work, waves ripples,.....and be sure to wax and degrease really well, or you will end up with fish eyes, craters. Really enough can't be said or emphasized on prep, and your spraying environment and equipment.

:deal

60biscayne409

Well Known Member
You are right doptop62, I been prep that car for the last month and every time i prime and sand the car i always find something wrong , and every time i fix it , i hope to finish it soon , but the way i see it is dont rush the prep better to work a bit more now then a lot later lol.,
60biscayne409

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
As Tic mentioned above, prep is the most crucial part of the paint job.
I don't care if you use the cheapest enamel single stage, or the most expensive 2-stage paint on the planet. if your prep isn't good enough, it will show. most do it your selfers think their car is sanded good enough because they are so eager to pull the trigger on the paint gun. usually with very disapointing results. you will see every single flaw if you don't spend the time on the prep. sanding scratches, bad feather on body work, waves ripples,.....and be sure to wax and degrease really well, or you will end up with fish eyes, craters. Really enough can't be said or emphasized on prep, and your spraying environment and equipment.

:deal

The finish always starts in the beginning of any body & paint work. Get in a hurry and it will show. I like to spray on a guide coat and block out.

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
In my experience some things need to be left to the professionals and I say this is one of them!

A lot of people think it is easy to paint. ALL YA GOTTA DO IS,,,,,:doh

If you do want to learn to paint I would suggest first trying to paint something that you can really screw up without causing a major catastrophe !!!

Then once you gain a little knowledge and some confidence move on to a car that doesn`t matter how it turns out.

If that goes well then move on to the project that you wanted to do in the first place.

All is well in trying to do things yourself,, but when it comes to painting you can really turn a project into a nightmare in a matter of days,,,,

Good luck to ya anyways,,, dq

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
In my experience some things need to be left to the professionals and I say this is one of them!

A lot of people think it is easy to paint. ALL YA GOTTA DO IS,,,,,:doh

If you do want to learn to paint I would suggest first trying to paint something that you can really screw up without causing a major catastrophe !!!

Then once you gain a little knowledge and some confidence move on to a car that doesn`t matter how it turns out.

If that goes well then move on to the project that you wanted to do in the first place.

All is well in trying to do things yourself,, but when it comes to painting you can really turn a project into a nightmare in a matter of days,,,,

Good luck to ya anyways,,, dq

You mean to practice on the grass cutter and yard trailer don't you
Robert