Passion Polly: 61 in Erath County Texas

Shaark92

Well Known Member
spoke with a guy to day who said the type 2's self bleed ... ???

he thought the pump is worn ... given the mix in the reservoir looks like a sprayout metallic paint ... he may not be wrong.

Shaark92

Well Known Member
Shop is gonna rebuild the hydraulics from scratch. new pump, lines ...

Evidently there is a limitation on the standard pressure from the GM Type II for the rack/pinion. It probably blew an o-ring seal on the input shaft fo the rack and that's how air is getting into the system.

So ... I'm Pollyless again ... but they are taking care of it. Hopefully will be "Pollying" again in another week - 10 days.

Shaark92

Well Known Member
Latest installment ...

Flaming River's half-rack (shuttle bar?) rotated about 90 degrees on me totally destroying the geometry of the steering system.

IMG_5054.jpeg

Video

discovered the only retention is a set screw on the back side of the two mounting clamps ... and they weren't installed with locktite/like and backed out of their seat. :mad5

IMG_3262.jpeg

So resecured that little diddy. But using caution, I hauled her to her first car show in Georgetown, Tx. This week we'll do a full ops check of this thing and perhaps look at replacing that set screw with a thin-hex head bolt/jamb nut. Can't have this thing rotating out of position at highway speed. Just crawling up my gravel driveway she was dancing both directions giving me wonder if I could cross my cattle guard in the MIDDLE vice bouncing off one of the sides.

Hopefully she'll checkout for a road-trip to Justin, TX and this coming weekend's Good Guys Nationals at TMS.

Shaark92

Well Known Member
So ... at Georgetown Airport's Warbird and Classic Car Show ...

we're in the Longhorn Corvette Club and they graciously allowed us to keep our two show girls together with them. Our Vette is the '71 numbers match coupe, "Victoria."

IMG_5093.jpeg

I'm still adjusting to the stance. lower front & higher rear. I'm accustomed to the fender being waist high. :)
IMG_0504.jpeg

Despite being between a pair of unique Vettes ... look who's getting the attention. I hope this doesn't cause trouble in the shop where they both are kept clean/warm next to each other. :D

IMG_5107.jpeg

Last edited:

Shaark92

Well Known Member
sun started breaking through late in the show ... able to show-off the outstanding paint by Armadillo Auto Restoration of Hamilton, TX ... and the ceramic by Bulldog Auto Detail of Temple, TX

IMG_5109.jpeg

IMG_5108.jpeg

this lady is reading the plaque which gives a brief testimonial of Passion Polly, a tribute to my late father, and an invitation to know Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior ... that extends here, by the way. I'd be happy to share this with you, too, Reader.

IMG_5103.jpeg

Shaark92

Well Known Member
until she quit just prior to the track cruise ...

IMG_5225.jpeg

No fuel. discovered the BluePrint engines cam lobe had just about rounded - out as the pushrod barely moved when turning-over. So ... back to the electric pump, but this time, low pressure/high volume. It's an Edelbrock. pretty quiet. I may have to revisit the mount with some "rubber babby buggy bumpers" as Dad used to call 'em. Here is an in-progress install pict. But as of yesterday, she's back in service. Our senior adult kids in town for an event with their college classmates, so, it seemed appropriate to make a short cruise into Hico to elevate the value of that white C8 Vette. I'll be doing a pre-emptive oil change. Anyone had a cam lobe fail with less than 500 miles on it? Should I be concerned about the valve-train lobes?

IMG_5264.jpeg

IMG_5274.jpeg

Shaark92

Well Known Member
If the engine has a hyd.roller cam in it and a ''conventional''fuel pump [as in stock replacement] drive rod was used,there's your problem.
thanks Don ... so I may not have a cam lobe floating around in my engine oil? Think I'll take a sample just in case. Or may change it AND sample it. pretty cheap peace of mind at this point in the project.

but yes, roller cam. Blueprint said their cam would push a mechanical pump. And it did for a while.

Reactions: 327

Shaark92

Well Known Member
Driving Polly yesterday afternoon, I was of course paying close attention to operating specs ... but after having the carb tuned better and getting the 700r4's TC to lock (the power lead wasn't connected for some reason) ... I was impressed with how the 383 pulls. It really does have a lotta mo torque.

Shaark92

Well Known Member
sorry ... been a little while since I made a visit. The oil analysis showed some increased wear metals ... from the fuel pump cam lobe but the lab was concerned about fuel dilution. I've been struggling with the setups to get a proper calibration though it HAS done a LOT of idling in the shop with the elect fan controller testing, etc.

She's been driven regularly ...

This month I finally recreated one of the early in thread photos; my May 1986 departing for prom shot ... and just a couple weeks ago (May '22)

the mulberry tree and I have something in common.

IMG_5892.jpeg