PHIL REED, 348-409 LEGEND

Phalen409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
For 33 years, Phil Reed was the go to guy for all things 348 & 409. Phil was guy for the common and rare in our great hobby of these special cars and engines. I bought my complete Z-11 engine from Phil that consisted of all OEM and NOS parts that took him years to assemble. When I went to his shop to look over my Z-11 engine, a complete 1961 409 with a 623 block sat on an engine stand that was all original. When Phil sold his inventory upon retiring, it took multiple 40 ft. trailer loads just to move it to the new buyer. When the mechanicals were gone, there were years of records and 409 archives that Phil accumulated over his career. I was the fortunate beneficiary of some of these archives. Phil Reed was instrumental in the efforts in the now well known design of the iconic picture of the 409. He worked with some well known illustrators to achieve the image that we all now know. He has been a great mentor. Enjoy some history!

IMG_2328.jpegIMG_2329.jpeg
IMG_2332.jpegIMG_2333.jpegIMG_2334.jpegIMG_2335.jpegIMG_2336.jpegIMG_2343.jpeg

wristpin

Well Known Member
Don't tell Phil I said this
Vicki and I have met Phil and Candy several times. To say they are both wonderful people is an understatement. For all of Phil's amazing accomplishments and how he always selflessly lends assistance and knowledge, Phil is always jovial, friendly and humble. I can honestly say Phil is one of maybe 5 people I would be honored to emulate.

R63ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Phil was good friends with my father in law Bill.I can remember when I started restoring the convertible,Bill wrote a phone number down and handed it to me.He said I should call him,introduce myself,tell him whose son in law I was,and tell him what I was working on.He said that Phil would be a huge asset on what was correct and original.I believe that first conversation with Phil lasted an hour.Throughout the process he has helped me immensely,and we have become friends as well.We are so lucky to have him here.
I also was the beneficiary of some of Phil’s very cool 409 memorabilia,and it all hangs in my shop and my mancave the 409 lounge.
IMG_2945.jpeg

rsavage

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Phil truly is a legend.I'v`e spoken with him a couple of times. He was always willing to chat and share his knowledge. He is a great asset to this community and has been a long time preserver of the 409 mystique.