Phil Reed

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Was just noticing Phil Reed was on the list looking. According to the post list on him, he has never posted on here. Phil, you know a lot about these old motors. You should jump in and give a little of your knowledge back. Don't be shy!

Fred

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Welcome to Phil

I recall that Phil has followed ChevyTalk forums, and am glad to see that he has joined this group of contributors :)

Phil and I met when he came to Columbia for a swap meet. Next time he's in town he is invited to spend the night at my place if he wants to. The catch is he has to see all the stuff I've been collecting these past few years :)

Welcome aboard!

Tom Kochtanek
Columbia, MO

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Thank you for the invitation Fred!! I have heard about this site and finally registered last night.
Don't really have anything to say at this point but will reply to all the Hayden Proffitt posts this evening.
Look forward to being a member of this site!!

Phil

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Hayden

I take it you knew Hayden????? The stories that could be told, and the ones that can't!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fred

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Hayden

I spent 3 days with him last week!!!
The stories we can tell are great....the stories we can't tell are even better!!!
He's a dear man and still goin' strong!!!

Hi Phil !
It IS good to see you in here:D
Best car club on the net:cheers

BTW, could you Email me your new fax number ? I still have this diagram for you:eek: :p

TomO

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Phil - It's great to have another peron in the KC area that posts on this site!!!!!!. Tom K and I are going to meet in Odessa on 10/11 for the Good Time Oldies car show. If you can make it over it would be great! From what I understand the Shaffer boys will have some of their treasure out for show.

Tom O
Less's Summit MO

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Thanks Tom. Donnie's been buying parts for the last 2 months trying to get all his display motors ready!!!!! He said he is going to have 13 complete 348 and 409 engines on display!!! Will be the largest "W" display in the world, I think!!!!!!!! If any club members are handy...THIS IS THE DISPLAY TO COME SEE!!!! If anyone needs directions or time and place, just let me know.

I'm going to try to be there. I have a customer coming in that day from Canada and will do my best to try to make it to the car show also.

I tried to get TomK to come to the shop last summer when I had the Hilborn fuel injected 409. It was on the run stand and was quite a sight...AND SOUND....to see. But it's gone now but still in KC.

Hope to see you on Sat.

Phil

TomO

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Phil - Thanks for the update on Shaffer Goddies. I will be showing my beige 63' impala. Should be a great time!!!
TomO

tmracing62

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Phil -

I'd be very interested in hearing about the Hilborn injected 409. I have something like that in the works.

- Michael

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
HILBORN INJECTED 409

Mike:

That engnine wasone of a kind. It was built by Errol Kampshroder. He had it in a 1700# roadster....top was 9.51 @ 149 MPH!!! That thing flew!!!!!

Errol was a master machinist and welder. He machined the top of an Offenhouser small port 2x4 intake and then welded up the ports to fit the 690 heads. Then made adapter plates for the injectors. The heads had probably the first set of hand made pushrod guide plates, roller rockers, Isky roller cam and Vertex magneto. It was awesome!!! I always wanted to put it in the worlds uglyist street rod to upset everyone!!

I've tried to attach some pictures. If they don't come through, just email me directly and I'll send them to you. As slow as I type, just call me and I'll tell you everything I know about it.

Hope the pics come though.

Phil

Attachments

• 409fiengine6.jpg
    409fiengine6.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 216

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
HILBORN INJECTED 409

Picture #2.......guess we have to do these in stages!!!

Attachments

• 409fiengine1b.jpg
    409fiengine1b.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 241

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
HILBORN INJECTED 409

Picture #3

Mike, I'll be out of the shop this afternoon and won'tbe able to get back with you until this evening.

Attachments

• 409fiengine4.jpg
    409fiengine4.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 200
T

truck4092

How are you doing Phil?This is Paul Petty,I talked to you on the phone last year about a 409 block but just couldn't come up with the bucks at that time.I'm the one that lives in Delta Junction ALaska.You said you would possibly ride your Harley up here to Alaska this last summer and look me up when you got here,did you make it here?If so sorry to have missed you,the wife and I went to the states to buy a motor home and were gone for 6 weeks.We haven't been riding the Harleys much lately but will this next summer,how about you?Welcome to forum,here, it's the best bar none on the net.348s and 409s forever! P.D.Petty:D :D

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
The Shaffer brothers in Chevy Rumble

I just came home for the evening and spotted the newest copy of Chevy Rumble amidst the mail. It has a nice 3 page article of Tony Shaffer's '66 Nova sport coupe on pages 28-30. The article starts out:

"Everyone who has been a 409 Chevy fan knows that Missouri's Don Shaffer has been one of the fastest on record during the last 15 years."

Right in my own back yard!

Can't wait to meet TomO along with the Shaffer brothers and hopefully Phil Reed again! Phil, I think I spoke with a guy names Lee who bought that fuelie off of you. He lives in the KC area as well.

Best,
TomK
Columbia, MO

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
PAUL.....it's good to hear from you again. This spring, I looked all thru my notes...several times....and I could not find your phone number and address. I was so disappointed.

Yes, we made it to Alaska this summer on the Harley...9,108 miles in 37 days!!! Your state is BEAUTIFUL!!!! Went up to Chicken again, as we will everytime!!! But the road on over to Dawson City, Yukon was the pits!!! We had one stretch where we had a 2 mile washboard!! Shook out every filling I had in my teeth plus a couple of bolts loose on the Harley!! Took a side trip this time...flew from Fairbanks to Barrow. We got to walk out on the pack ice where the polar bears go!! IT'S JUST INCREDIBLE!! We left Valdez and stayed in Paxson on our way north to Fairbanks. Then we stayed in Tok on our way south. I really wished I could have found your number because I certainly would have called. We have too many things in common not to meet someday. We will be coming back up again in 2 years so will do a better job on keeping your phone number!!

Hope all is well. Keep in touch.

Phil

tmracing62

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Phil -

Man, you weren't kidding. That's outrageous looking. I'll bet that engine stand hauls!

I'm bleeding out financially after building my Bel Air, but if I ever recover, I'm going to adapt a Hilborn manifold to the 409. Already have sketches of how to do it. Don't ask me why. The challenge maybe.

Thanks for the inspiration.

Michael

T

truck4092

How ya' doin',Ron?Yeah me and my wife both ride,I totally rebuilt and lowered a 1972 sporty for her and I ride a 1979 low rider that is totally custom,has a "kicked out" front end with a 21 inch tire,chrome front fender,14 inch ape hanger handle bars,mustang custom seat and sissy bar and now for the best part........I had a friend of mine who builds racing Harley engines build my 80 cubic incher into an s& s 93 cubic inch stroker.It has upsweep straight pipes on it and I just had a new black paint job put on it,runs hard! Hmmmmm wonder if a w motor would fit in the frame,hee hee hee?:D