PlumCrazy 62 SS stroker Build

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Cooling question. We had to get a Griffin radiator not just for better cooling but we went with a cpp 5003 aftermarket steering box. My question..

We have a 62 with original ac. We popped the radiator and it has another in-place for the AC. I also have an aftermarket trans cooler for the 700r4. So, the new setup will have a griffin, trans, and ac radiator? Whats the best setup to deal with this? Electric fans or a clutch driven off the pump? :?

The cheapest route would be with a fan clutch. But make sure you get a very small water pump pulley to drive the fan faster. I found out that a 62 327 with auto and air has a 5 1/2" water pump pulley if you want a stock look. otherwise you can use this one. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...748801&viewitem=&sspagename=ADME:L:OU:US:1123

Also, make sure you use a 7" crank pulley.

Toms63SSQB

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Kurt,
You are going to have to change the yoke also, You can't just put a 1350 U joint into a 1310 yoke. Maybe the red seal ujoint will handle what you are going to do with the car, I don't know. I know I would feel better with the 1350.

plumcrazy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Thanks guys. Looks like we kinda lucked out. Well "run what we brung" for now and to your point Tom, if we break we'll swap to the 1350 with new yoke.

I do have pulleys and will take a look at what sizes. Im a bit worried about the shroud, space between a fan and radiators, and special .

All takes a bit of time. Jardines showed up today. Once we get the motor in, well mock and send off for coating. Found a local place with just 1 week turn around, or so they say..

plumcrazy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Brake

Me, Avery and Hannah (7 and new shop foreman) finished the upper and lower control arms plus brakes last night. Hannah packed bearings, I think she liked the gloves and mess more, and then she helped with installing the arms. Avery helped with the rotors and calipers but I dont know if theres a problem. Everything is new, pistons are in fully and no fluid in the system, and one side rotates fairly freely but the other is very stiff. Do you think it possible that the pads are thicker by a tiny margin and I should swap pads on both sides to see if the problem transfers or is this normal?

plumcrazy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
09Jud, CPP. Its their 12" setup. Ill do a couple things tonight. Ill pull the calipers and measure the piston and see if the factory shipped with one out a touch. If so were good. If not, I can swap the pads and check. Ill post tonight what I find...

They can be a little different from side to side . If they need to be shimmed it should be noted in the instructions . What brand are they ?

09Jud

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I went on the CPP site and they show a 2 piston caliper and the pistons on one side which tells me they are floating caliper and more than likely don't need shimming.

plumcrazy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Ok, update. Great progress with Avery and Hannah. We got the coils in the front, 1 1/2 dropped Moog BB springs. Hannah is packing the bearings, or just likes wearing gloves:?, cant tell. Avery is finishing off the front end....:cool:

Yes, I did the coils behind closed doors just in case.....

Attachments

• IMG_0289[1].jpg
    IMG_0289[1].jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_0292[1].jpg
    IMG_0292[1].jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_0297[1].jpg
    IMG_0297[1].jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_0296[1].jpg
    IMG_0296[1].jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 55

plumcrazy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Motor popped. Me Avery and Alex, my oldest popped the 283 today after riding our snowmobiles the last two days. We pressure washed out the bay and will be doing the brakes and the detail work tomorrow.

Dunnow which kid will get the hook, but someones helpin :crazy

Attachments

• IMG_0301[1].jpg
    IMG_0301[1].jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_0264[1].jpg
    IMG_0264[1].jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_0273[1].jpg
    IMG_0273[1].jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0304[1].jpg
    IMG_0304[1].jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_0303[1].jpg
    IMG_0303[1].jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 57

09Jud

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
what can be beter , playing with gooie stuff and not gating in trouble. how did you make out with the brakes rubbing??

plumcrazy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
more photos with the oldest chippin in Alex....

Attachments

• IMG_0293[1].jpg
    IMG_0293[1].jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0294[1].jpg
    IMG_0294[1].jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0298[2].jpg
    IMG_0298[2].jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0305[1].jpg
    IMG_0305[1].jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 39

plumcrazy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Going to swap pads from both sides tomorrow to check. Seemed like the pistons were both completely seated, so not that....Ill post for sure....

what can be beter , playing with gooie stuff and not gating in trouble. how did you make out with the brakes rubbing??

plumcrazy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Few update pics, engine bay almost done. Went with a semi-gloss acrylic enamor on the wells and front, flar enamel for frame. Few wrinkles that well wets and today and touch up. Motor getting mocked up. Were going to install dry the booster and run all our brake lines. I think well have to pop it off befire the motor install?

Attachments

• IMG_0309[2].jpg
    IMG_0309[2].jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_0313[1].jpg
    IMG_0313[1].jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_0314[1].jpg
    IMG_0314[1].jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0315[1].jpg
    IMG_0315[1].jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 43

plumcrazy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Updates

Cameron tried to put the plugs in, notice anything amiss? Well all in all, a long winter in NH. Weve been peckin away at Betsy and finally put in Ronnies stroker!!! Getting closer, but further away. Notice the last two photos, hood issues. I think the only thing i can do is a fiberglass or cut up one, but would love some magic options.

https://picasaweb.google.com/118044082885935817926/Betsy?authkey=Gv1sRgCKn7_evt8JLaEg#

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I didn't know those crossrams were that high.:?
The only solution is to send me the crossram and I'll send you a nice low cast iron truck manifold.:deal:roll:roll:roll