POR-15

62BillT

Well Known Member
Need to coat the inside of the wheel wells on my pick-up bed. Is the Silver just as good as the Black as far as quality goes?

Thanks

bobs409

Administrator
I'll never use any of that junk again in any color but the silver was the WORST!!! Every time I used it it bubbled up and had to be scraped back off. It has a lot of pigment particles in it. I don't think it was anything I did wrong but I don't know. Snake oil is what it should be called.

62BillT

Well Known Member
I'll never use any of that junk again in any color but the silver was the WORST!!! Every time I used it it bubbled up and had to be scraped back off. It has a lot of pigment particles in it. I don't think it was anything I did wrong but I don't know. Snake oil is what it should be called.

I've actually had great luck with it all through the years, although I only use it in certain cases. But now that you say it, I remember you having problems with it. I believe I'll stick with the Black.

bobs409

Administrator
I've actually had great luck with it all through the years, although I only use it in certain cases. But now that you say it, I remember you having problems with it. I believe I'll stick with the Black.
The best one for me was the semi gloss black. The others were ok but stay away from the silver! I've used the silver, clear, gray, semi-gloss black and gloss black. In some areas it will hold up and be fine but it's a gamble.

If you are doing inner wheel wells especially on a driver, you might consider the brush on bed liner. That stuff is tough and even looks like undercoating if you dab it on with a brush. I did my inner fenders on my 71 pickup, 71 Chevelle and my new fenders for the Jeep. It's paintable too. So far, so good.

bobs409

Administrator
Here we go, I found a review I did back a few years on POR:

61-63

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
It is work but if the inner fenders have surface rust hit it with steel wool and then paint it with phosphoric acid (Lowes or Home Depot has it) and then paint over that with whatever paint you like. Phosphoric acid converts rust to iron phosphate. Let the phosphoric acid dry for 24 hours or more before painting over it.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Here we go, I found a review I did back a few years on POR:

Was you doing the proper prep . There are several steps in preparing the final coat. There are two different solutions to use first.It cleans the metal from all contaminated surface's.I always did the prep and I have never had any flaking peeling problems.

DaveN

Well Known Member
I personally like POR15 you need to use there degreaser then also the etch product then paint. I have only used the black and the exhaust manifold paint never the silver.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Forgot to mention I have used silver and black with no problems. I will have to say that they say that you can apply over rust which is really misleading. But they say also the metal needs prep work to be done for proper adhesion.Just wire brushing the metal is far from proper prep. When prep is done just by looking at the metal it is easy to see the surface takes on a different look and is really clean.

Last edited:

62BillT

Well Known Member
Some of us from the old days may remember the old products they had. Back then there was the Thin Black and Heavy Silver. The Heavy Silver was great, but they quit making it for some reason. It may be the same color as today, but it was nothing like the old product. One example on how good it was, was my Farm Tractor Rear Wheels. I had a flat once and found the inside of the wheels in rough shape. Heavy Rust everywhere from years of Calcium Chloride that they used to use for anti-freeze. Really considered throwing them in the scrap pile. But I chipped, scraped and wire brushed the heck out of them and gave 2 nice coats of the Heavy Silver. What a difference. This was 17 years ago. I just put a new set of tires on 2 years ago and wasn't there when they installed them, but I asked the tire guy how they looked. He said "they looked great".

W Head

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
I used the product several times 3/4 years ago and worked great, (takes a lot of prep work) but POR 15 has been brought out and I understand the product is not as good as it once was.

W Head

59 Impala 409-2,4s

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
I used the product several times 3/4 years ago and worked great, (takes a lot of prep work) but POR 15 has been brought out and I understand the product is not as good as it once was.

W Head

59 Impala 409-2,4s
That could be the case ,I don't know. I think I still have a pint of black and the prep solutions too. I learned a long time ago you don't get it on the can seal or lid or you won't get it open without destroying the can.

Reactions: 327

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
Bill is totally right, about the silver being much thicker.:good I've started using POR-15 in the early 2000's. The original company was located in New Jersey. POR-15 got sold to a company in New York. The paint never worked that well after that.:confused For me, it just didn't stay on as it once did. I always followed the directions, but the paint just didn't want to stay on. Last summer, I did the pain in the arse job of cleaning my M/C tank, and painting the inside. That took me a good 9 hours, start to finish It looked great when I was finished. I waited for a week, before I put gas in the tank. A few days later the paint started lifting, in a few places.:bang I sent POR-15 an e-mail, and told them about my failure, and their response was "You didn't clean the tank well enough." Of Course, I knew they would blame me. I recently have purchased a quart of Eastwood's Platinum Rust Encapsulator. I haven't tried it yet, though.

62BillT

Well Known Member
When the new owners bought it out and I realized that the Heavy Silver seemed longer available, I called to ask them about it. They did not even know what I was talking about. Unless they were playing dumb for some strange reason, I hung up the phone saying to myself that heck, I know more about their stuff than they do.

Shesrealfine

Supporting Member 1
POR-15 vs Eastwood Rust Encapsulator. A little off-subject for the silver POR-15 but I'll post my experience for our members.This happened 4 or 5 years ago I believe. My buddy ,Boyd, owns a beach front house down here. His metal garage door had rusted through the white paint. Who would use a metal door on the beach??? Anyway it was there when he bought the house.
He swore by Eastwood's Rust Encapsulator and I swore by POR-15. We bet a case of beer on which paint would work best. We used a wire brush on a drill to remove everything down to bare metal. We primed half of the door with POR-15 and half with Eastwood. Then we put 2 coats of white paint on the door. Within a year the door had rusted back to where it was before we primed and painted it. Both sides identical. So I'll have to say that the 2 products offer the same protection, or non-protection.
John

Last edited: