Porting 333 heads

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
It's actually a 267 XE BBC grind on a W blank with the lobe separation changed from Comps usual 110 to 108.On these smaller hyd.roller cams,the duration at @.050 is about the same as a one size smaller hyd.flat tappet cam. This trend is common to all cam companies.The small rollers have more lift,and faster lift rates,but less duration at .050.On your stroker.the 274 or what ever XE or a similar Lunati flat tappet would make more power without being beastly on the street.A thing about the Lunati Voodoo cams is they use Harold Berkshires Ultradyne lobe design which is at least as powerful as the Comp.but is easier and quiter on the valve train.GM for years worked with Crane up until about the time when Crane went under for a while.They may very well have worked with Comp on that ZZ502 cam.The hyd.roller that's in Chevy hot rod 383 crate engine is a Crane.

Last edited:

427John

Well Known Member
So do you think I'd be better off going with the Lunati and if so which grind or do they only have 1 voodoo for W's?I guess I didn't realize there were so many choices for W cams,there used to never be listings for them in cam catalogs.I like the sound of a powerful cam that's easy on the valvetrain,I take it that since it is a voodoo that it will have a bit of a choppy idle which I'm more than OK with.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
With your 3 3/4 stroke and a compression of no more than 10.5[west coast gas] I'd suggest looking a Voodo grind 10110703[110/106,227 in./233ex.@.050,.543in./.554ex on 1.7's].the powerband is listed as 1800-6200 rpm.This is a big block grind that you'd have them grind on a W blank.Show Cars has a pn0954 that's a Comp Extreme energy cam that's similar for 199.00.Both are hyd.flat tappet cams.

427John

Well Known Member
Well got my 333's ported and back to the head guy,will try to post some pics kind of followed yellow wagon's plan and also opened up the pushrod pinch some used my fingers as calipers to keep an eye on thickness there seemed to have plenty of material.If you look at the intake bowl pic from about the 5 to 7 o'clock position had to take a ton of material out to get rid of a overhanging ledge between the throat and the roof of the port.

Attachments

• DSC02934.JPG
    DSC02934.JPG
    58.7 KB · Views: 30
  • DSC02936.JPG
    DSC02936.JPG
    46.6 KB · Views: 30
  • DSC02937.JPG
    DSC02937.JPG
    46 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

427John

Well Known Member
Yes with fel pro gaskets anyway didn't make them much larger though.Are there better gaskets to use?

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I need to dig up my old photos from when I did this but I know I ground down the casting "circles" and ran the grinder and cartridge roll back and forth through the port openings to smooth everything out. Gasket matched everything, shaped the guide bosses to a bullet shape and took some metal out of the exhaust side bosses so they aren't so bulky. Then they got finished with a multi-angle valve job, swirl polished one-piece stainless valves etc

427John

Well Known Member
I tried to make the tops of the guides bullet shaped guess they turned out more like hollow points didn't go all the way to the bottoms someone on here had said not to make the guides to small.I did make the trenches on each side of the exhaust guides a little bigger just made it the size of the ball shaped burr through there.I did pretty much nothing on the floors of the port because its seems to be the consensus that there is nothing to be gained there and just knocked any rough edges or sharp angles off the short turn with a stone did not try to reshape it at all because basically I don't know what I'm doing there.Did round the corners at the bottoms of the intake port openings it was surprising how sharp they were just looked wrong.They got some surface rust on them from sitting in the garage during the cold wet weather here for a week or two before I took them to the head guy.He ended up having to put seats in them due to pitting but used some really shallow seats he was aware of the lack of material there.He showed me the seats he used and their about 1/2 the depth of normal seats.

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
The guy I used to hang around with would make the guide the shape of a water droplet with the round part facing the incoming air.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Many moons ago I had Ronnie Russell "do his thing" on a pair of 333 heads I had laying around that cleaned up real nice.

I remember Brian Thompson's Dad was looking for some high perf 409 pistons and stock rods for his 62 Chevy build. I sent the pistons and rods to Dallas in exchange for Ronnie's expertise.

I recall he went through several bits in the 30-odd hours he took to open things up. It was years ago, so they've got a bit of corrosion and will need to be touched up prior to use.`

333 heads ported.jpg 333 heads intake runners.jpg

Enjoy!
TomK