Problem Logging In

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
A problem started Sunday morning trying to login on this site. It would say it was unavailable.
I run a desktop that is hard wired to router.
Have a laptop that runs on wifi.
And I use my phone.
At my house I can't login with any device except my phone if I turn off the wifi, then I can login.
My buddy Chris is in conversation with the internet provider now. No fix found yet.
I sent a message to Bob he may be shoveling snow.
Also if someone else tries to get on the site with there phone and they have wifi on they can't open the site either.
Any clue?

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
When I used desktop before my phone it used to not allow connection. I unplugged router for a few minutes. Worked but always had to do more frequently. Finally replaced router. Wife uses desktop anymore for her work. I just use phone anymore.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
First off, which kind of ISP are you using? Fiber, cable or the zombie phone line dial-up? I would venture to guess your modem is the issue. Do you have a separate modem/Router or are they an all in one? I haven't had your issues on any of my devices. I visit this page from about 4 different computers each day. Desk top, lap top and two phones. Our new fiber optic internet provider is great but their modem had had several issues requiring them to reboot it. Then they had to bring a tech in and after the tech tested their modem it turns out it was our older router wasn't completely compatible with the new Fiber modem. If the provider did a software update on their modem it could mess with your router if its not on their list of approved routers. I would check to see your router is on their list or call their I.T. and have them confirm your router is on that list. Its possible that your router just needs an update too. What make and model do you have? I'll look it up. Which company is your ISP and what modem do you have?

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
The router wifi is a one piece unit.
Did they provide the modem/Router/Wifi box or did you go out and buy it? What make and model is it? How many years have you had it? Their web page doesn't have any additional information on compatible boxes. My guess is a quick call to them may get a website to look at the information needed.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Century Link says they retired that modem and no longer support it. Plus the user manual on their page says 2015. I would say its a safe bet that you need to get a new one. I pray you don't have standard DSL or DSL2 with that provider. I know sometimes we can't choose who runs cable to our place.
Here are some links to look over:

The firmware download link no longer works. If they pull that software then you have absolutely little/no chance of making it work if your firmware on the device is bad. Time to buy a new one. Worst case you spend $100 on a new set up. Best case, it finally allows the packets of information to flow freely again. Either way, I can barely remember where I was and what I was doing back in 2015 and I think your Modem is on life support based on its age alone.
ONE LAST NOTE. Pull that photo of the back of your modem. Anyone can access your computer remotely with that information. Granted your modem may be broke but until you replace it, not a good idea to share that information.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Makes no sense it's only this site. Maybe try checking or changing your password.
I called James and chatted with him about what it may be. The internet is like a bunch of states that don't like each other, these regions can act independently to update/upgrade their system internally and that means any older systems may be dropped in what seems like a specific area but is more like a general sweep of old devices stop working correctly. There is no way for James to get a software update because that device is on the outdated device list. All ISP have specific rules and regulations to meet with the state and with the Feds. But the internet software and hardware companies are always looking for ways to upgrade to seem more desirable to customers even if its a bunch of BS. Updates in software or hardware at a server (say XenForo's down in Florida) could leave James unable to access that region of the US or at least the pages that connect to Xenforo's server in Florida. All it takes for any of us to loose access on any device to any region of the internet is one piece of code not getting along with an outdated modem/Router/Wifi device. Not everyone has the same access to the internet and one update could leave any/all of us hanging. Its possible Xenforo had an update that says everyone on DSL can no longer access our page because it slows down traffic for our fiber customers on our Server in Florida. The internet is still the wild wild west and the people who are making the most off of us all have a direct influence on how the internet is run.

bobs409

Administrator
I would still try clearing the cookies for this site. The cookie file remembers things about your last visit and maybe something is going on by logging in from different devices. I may be completely wrong but it's worth a shot. I find that when odd ball things are happening, clearing the cookies often fixes the problem.

I hope it's that easy. I don't know a thing about routers or ISP's but I can rebuild a carburetor. :p