Purchasing a 409

Royce

Who would be the best person to purchase a 409 from? Looking to buy another 409. Got took on the first one and now I need to find a replacement. I want one that is as close to the original 63 425 hp. I'm not as up on them as I used to be but I'm learning and if I hang around here I'm sure that the members will help me get re-acquainted with the W engines. I bought an engine that was suppose to be completely remanufactured, paid good money for it, got it running and it ended up having a cracked block. It ran so nice and I was just sick after spending all that money on something I had dreamed about for years to have it go south. It had all the fancy stuff on it and special heads, intake and valve covers. I have all that stuff still but want to buy another engine and build it myself so I know exactly what I'm getting. I need to buy a book on them if someone can recommend one. I've not been on this sight much and I'm sure if I had been here first I would not have made the mistake with the first 409. There are a lot of people out there today that just delight in taking someone to the cleaners. I wish now I had bought a BBC 454, 502, 540, or 427 from GMPP. Things would have went a lot better. I want to thank you all in advance for any and all help that you might be able to provide. God Bless

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Everything you would want to know is right here. Are you sure your block can not be fixed? Did you buy that 55' in Tacoma at the old South Tacoma Chevrolet Garage, don't know what its called now? Put a add in the wanted section. Everyone here is willing to help you along...:D

Royce

Thought that the block could be repaired but the crack is to long. They could have repaired it but no guarantee. No I purchased my 55 in Haden, ID a year or so ago. The avatar picture is of one I stole off some website. I just liked the color.

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
You already have the rest of the parts, you just need a good block. Lot's of honest people here. Hang around long enough to read about the stroked 348's too.

our1962

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
One our members Denis Despenice last time I spoke with him had a couple of stroked 409's and he does sell and trade here's one of his threads on a black 55 he's working on and the red and white tri 55 is a 409 car. He doesn't have nothing but the BEST and if he's not selling or trading he can probably send you in the right direction as he has lot's of connections throughout the country.

http://www.348-409.com/forum/thread...n-with-a-stroker-409.26549/page-2#post-244411

Happy Motoring Ted

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
Thought that the block could be repaired but the crack is to long. They could have repaired it but no guarantee. No I purchased my 55 in Haden, ID a year or so ago. The avatar picture is of one I stole off some website. I just liked the color.

There is a thread here that BSL409 started where he repaired his block with a lock and stitch repair...pretty amazing.

blkss64

Well Known Member
So where is the crack? Is there any oil & water mixing? You said it ran so well. Maybe it can be saved. Is it outside on the water jackets or in the lifter galley? I agree the Lock N Stich method will repair most cracks. Do not scrap that block yet. Check out the link to the thread provided by 63 dreamin. A lot of other members are very sharp on 409s and can guide you along the way. Good luck.

our1962

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Royce I forgot too mention this site has all spec's for the 409. You can also type in 1961-1964 GM Shop manuals in your search engine and come up with sites to purchase these manuals here's one http://www.gearheadcafe.com/chevrolet_shop_manual.html like blkss64 mentioned where is your leaks/crack. I started my 409/409 in an engine stand to break in the cam and check for leaks before the install. My heads leaked like a siff had too plug 4 exhaust head bolts holes behind the threaded bolt length with allen head plugs. Solved the issue!!!!!!!!!

Happy Motoring Ted

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
There are a lot of people out there today that just delight in taking someone to the cleaners.

Sad but true. :(

The safe way to go is to get someone with a good reputation to build your engine. As others have mentioned, Jack Gibbs' name springs to mind.
He can probably get a good block but he may also know if it's worth repairing the block you have now.

Unfortunately, a good reference book on the 409 hasn't been written yet.
There is a book with a collection of magazine articles from back in the day. It's very interesting but there's very little information that would guide you through a rebuild.
The newer book that came out a couple of years ago is neither interesting or useful.

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Everything Jim said is correct. Jack Gibbs could either repair your block and build an engine using your parts, or with a replacement block....and he would treat you very fairly. The newer book is a waste of time. You'll learn a whole lot more correct and useful information here on this site.

Royce

Thanks for all the info. I will call Jack to see what he has. The block is cracked on the left side water jacket just below the head. It's about 6 inches long.

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I bet that can be fixed. If I remember correctly, that is about the size of the one Brian repaired. Same general location too.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Welcome to the site,Royce.I would imagine that Jack can get that blocked fixed,but I think that I'd have him go completely through that engine just to make certain that they didn't short cut,or screw up anything else in there.Like short changing on things like pistons,rings,bearings,machine work ect.Even a halfassed job will sound good for a little while.

Royce

I'm sure that I will find things that aren't correct in the engine when it's torn down. First things first is to get the car finished up. Putting another engine in that's good and get the car operational. Then take my time and go through this one and have it as a spare. 409s are getting harder to find. I want to express my appreciation for all of your help. If I would have come to this site to begin with I would not have found myself in this pickle. Thanks guys.