Question on emblem??

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Hi everyone, have a question on an emblem. I see several '62 SS's have an SS emblem on the lower right trunk lid and some don't. Some that don't, I really believe are a true SS model but lack this emblem. Wasn't this emblem suppose to be part of the SS package?? Maybe the trunk lid was changed, emblem fell off or at worse, a poor job at cloning. I guess you could check the lid for any signs of previous attachment. Just wondering. Thanx, Carmine.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
All factory 62 SS cars had an SS emblem on the lower right trunk. If they don't they are almost certainly clones. SS package included this emblem, the interior grab bar and SS panel behind it, SS console between the seats, bucket seats(bucket seats that fold at an angle) with factory welded mounting brackets to the floor, SS swirl side chrome, SS swirl trunk panel(except in some early cars-Sept/Oct 1961), and SS 1/4 panel emblems. The final check and best check is the trim number from the cowl tag, it has to have a trim number with bucket seats. All 4 speed cars SS cars had a shift plate around the shifter. Powerglide cars had no shift plate in 62.

The holes in SS trunks I have seen are punched. I have one in the basement for my 62 SS 409 convert I am doing now.

I see lots of cars called an SS but are missing one or more of these items -the cowl tag is the best way to tell. Nothing wrong with a clone it just should have all of the SS items at least.
Paul

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
I bought a 62 SS a few years ago, the one in my avatar. Evidently he trunk lid had been changed, no holes for the emblem, but the emblem was in the trunk. Someone here gave me the measurements for the holes. Everything else was correct SS including the trim tag numbers.

droptop62ss

Well Known Member
I'm with you 1958 delivery I wouldn't think it was a clone till I checked out all the other items
that make it a SS.
Andy

61BUBBLE348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Here's a quick question on 62 SS cars, was the Sun Tach 7000rpm limit 5000 red line optional on all cars, I saw a very nice 327 powerglide car yesterday with tach, looked factory.

dac62

Supporting Member 3
All 62 sun tachs were optional. You also could buy a ss with bench seat.

dac62

Supporting Member 3
You could get a 62 ss with bench seat. Some place around here i have a window sticker build sheet with the option. I also had a 62 ss red on red 300hp 4 speed with 875 trim code with bench seat that came from the original owner.

chevy man

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
All 62 sun tachs were optional. You also could buy a ss with bench seat.

That's a new one on me !!! Like a lot of you guys, I grew up with these cars and worked in a chevy dealership during those years, but I never saw or heard of a bench seat ss other than a 61 ss. :dunno I guess ya never quit learning.

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
That would throw the whole trim tag check into question. Check the Chevrolet Heritage Center web site for the correct answer. SS was a complete package without deletes. 61 was the only SS without buckets.

dac62

Supporting Member 3
Sport package including passenger assist bar, special emblems s, special wheel covers, side molding inserts, special plate 4 speed was gm # 240xj cost $53.80. Console included with bucket seats. Bucket seat option 891 d cost $102.25. It was not all one package in 1962.

chevy man

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Sport package including passenger assist bar, special emblems s, special wheel covers, side molding inserts, special plate 4 speed was gm # 240xj cost $53.80. Console included with bucket seats. Bucket seat option 891 d cost $102.25. It was not all one package in 1962.

Curiosity has gotten me !!!!
Where are you finding this info? (1962 300-380-409 high performance engines ---tachometers were standard equiptment).

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Lots of things were mandatory options. I'll go out on a limb here. There were no factory 62 SS Impalas without buckets. No factory bucket Impalas without the SS option. If I'm wrong, I'm willing to listen.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I asked Vern Frantz "VIP" - Valued Contributer " next to his name -from Chevy Talk to comment on this question and comments made to date. Vern is a very respected poster. He documents/records original cars(over 3400 posts on Chevy Talk for 61-64 Chevys).
He said to post this after reading the comments to date:
"There was no RPO 891 in '62. 891 is simply a TRIM code that designates a gold bucket seat interior in a Sport Coupe. The AIM references 812-891 with reference to bucket seats, but those are not RPOs; they are TRIM codes. Buckets were never a stand-alone option in '62."
Verne
I have seen on Chevy talk him comment a number of times on the 61, 62, 63 and 64 SS cars and what is original to these cars from the factory. He asks for paper work, and other information(such as cowl tag, -including pictures, etc) to review original cars, to confirm what they came with from the factory.

Paul Stensland

dac62

Supporting Member 3
Well i did meet Vern in youngstown at a Late great show and he is a VALUED CONTRIBUTER. HE IS WRONG ON THIS SUBJECT. I HAD AND SOLD A 62 300HP 4 SPEED SS CAR LAST YEAR THAT WAS A 875 TRIM CODE WITH BENCH SEAT AND NO FACTORY TACH AND IT CAME THAT WAY. I BOUGHT IT FROM THE ORIGINAL OWNER.