Race on Sunday Sell on Monday

Barry Taylor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
This add was run in the Benton courier on Thursday July 25th 1963 the owner of Spivey Chevrolet in Benton Ark. contacted Dad and offered to pay him $300.00 to come up and run at what was called Dodge day at the Benton drag strip. With Friendly Chevy’s permission it was on. When Dad arrived at the track by himself Spivey had several of there best techs waiting to help Dad with the car. After they unhooked the tow bar, changed street tires for slicks the car was ready to race. From then on they helped get the car cooled down for the next race and the rest was history. Dad also won the Dodge day money and Trophy.

Attachments

• E748DEC9-BD12-4CC7-94D2-3C91655AA189.jpeg
    E748DEC9-BD12-4CC7-94D2-3C91655AA189.jpeg
    87.1 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:

Barry Taylor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
The Little Rock drag strip was in Benton Ark. Dad made numerous trips to this track after this race. The owner of the track would give Dad tow money to come up. On one trip the track owner who also owned the dirt track in Little Rock talked Dad into making a few laps in the dirt on Saturday night and of course the announcer was talking up the drag races on Sunday the next day.

Barry Taylor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
3B25025A-78D7-4123-B6D0-DD19C4858BE2.jpeg8482B6B6-39FD-4CCC-ABAE-EFFEBF1BC81A.jpegThis was in local paper here in Garland July 25th 1963 and the second article was on April 9th 1964 just before a big race at Caddo Mills just east of Dallas. There’s mention of Hayden Profitt being there. I’m not sure of the outcome of this race but I’m working on it. The pictures reversed on me?

Last edited:

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
This add was run in the Benton courier on Thursday July 25th 1963 the owner of Spivey Chevrolet in Benton Ark. contacted Dad and offered to pay him $300.00 to come up and run at what was called Dodge day at the Benton drag strip. With Friendly Chevy’s permission it’s was on. When Dad arrived at the track by himself Spivey had several of there best techs waiting to help Dad with the car. After they unhooked the tow bar, changed street tires for slicks the car was ready to race. From then on they helped get the car cooled down for the next race and the rest was history. Dad also won the Dodge day money and Trophy.
Seen this on facebook, so cool!

benchseat4speed

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Wow!!! That’s great! That car still has the stock tailpipes on it in that pic!! Man there is nothin’ cooler than that 327 emblem with ‘427 ci 430hp’ painted next to it:bow:bow:bow

Barry, have you ever gone to the TX dmv, or state patrol and explained your case, and had ‘em look up the vin for your dads 63?

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
On the 62 Ault-James Biscayne, the racing exhaust was still on the car. It had straight tubing from the Mickey Thompson fender well headers to just past the rearend housing. The owner of the car said that was the rules then.
I'll see if I can find a picture.