Race on Sunday Sell on Monday

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
On the 62 Ault-James Biscayne, the racing exhaust was still on the car. It had straight tubing from the Mickey Thompson fender well headers to just past the rearend housing. The owner of the car said that was the rules then.
I'll see if I can find a picture.
20191023_110436.jpg20191023_110456.jpg20191023_110510.jpg20191023_110527.jpg

Guess I need to learn how to rotate my pictures!!!!! Dickiemac....can you help????

brettc

The Little Rock drag strip was in Benton Ark. Dad made numerous trips to this track after this race. The owner of the track would give Dad tow money to come up. On one trip the track owner who also owned the dirt track in Little Rock talked Dad into making a few laps in the dirt on Saturday night and of course the announcer was talking up the drag races on Sunday the next day.
And that dirt track just closed last october after 66 years -- I'm assuming it was the I-30 speedway.

Barry Taylor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I just read a post in the Jelopy journal that the track in Benton was a quarter mile track back in the early 60s and that it was just of I-30 and ran parallel to it! All tracks back in the day were quarter mile but by the late 60s some we’re shortened to either 1000 ft or eighth mile tracks because the cars were going so much faster.

Murphdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Wow, this is amazing stuff. Looking at the pics of the 62 I see "Cornetts" Somerset Ky. That place is still in business and big into dirt track engines as far as I know. I have a customer in NC that we make some parts for and he talks about Cornetts. I'm pretty sure Red started the business. I found this on the web. "Ira Jackson "Red" Cornett founded Cornett Machine Shop in 1948 and was joined in 1976 by son Jack, who guides racing operations today. The elder Cornett continued working until his 2012 death at the age of 95."
Sometimes it seems like a small world we live in!
Jeff

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
It was put on the street with a steel nose and 327 4-speed around 1966-67. Rumored it ended up with Eugene Brown in Houston. He beat the hell out of the Hayden Proffit’s and Dick Harrell’s car and scrapped both bodies and saved the aluminum.
A little update. I worked with Gene, actually bought a car from him. He lived in Ft Worth, Texas. He did “totally consume” Dick Harrell’s car. Hayden sold his car to Clyde McKnight and Gene did get the aluminum from that car. I ended up with all that aluminum.