Raising X-frame on a two post lift

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
A little update on my lift. I have no problem with reaching the rear lifting points with my arms. Its the front that can be a problem. There is not a lot of wiggle room to reach the front frame rails. What I do, and I know it sounds like a pain because it is, I pull the car in, jack it up and put skates under all four wheels. I then position the car where I need it. The front arms, if positioned properly, are barely on the inside/center portion of the frame. No room to spare. Its safe enough, but I always use tall jack stands under the rear and a-frame. I don't trust anyone's lift including my own. The stands give me peace of mind when I'm under the car, Carmine.

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
I am researching the lift issue for my new shop and it appears to be knowledgeable does the rear arm have enough length when the lift is in asymmetrical position. In asymmetrical the fronts do appear to be easily long enough to reach the A frame area. Several don't reach the rear areas listed above but a couple of manufacturers have longer option arms. For peace of mind it also appears that the optional pads designed to cradle a frame are great. I have also been looking at a four post but those have issues also more in the areas of actually lifting the wheels off the ramp.
I am also having issues with one somewhat major lift builder wanting me to speak only with a local dealer. That company has staff that only sees what is on the computer screen and is knowledgeable about noting but floor mats and detailing supplies. This has not been a good experience for me!
Robert

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Not quite sure I understand your thread rstreet. You mentioned the a-frame area. Where is it in the front of your car that you would be attempting to lift it from?? My arms would never come close to any part of the a-frame and that wouldn't be someplace I'd want to lift from anyway. I barely make the frame rail as it bends down and around. As for those longer option arms, I'd want to know from the manufacturer what they did to fortify the lift itself to accommodate these longer arms?? For me, it doesn't end with just putting longer arms on. Longer arms mean more pressure and stress. With my car on the lift, I sometimes look at the arms. I can't say I see bending, but I do see some "tweaking"; maybe a little natural give to them. I just can't imagine longer arms with the same structure. I inspect them every time I put the car up. That's also why I use tall jack stands. I'll also mention this. It was told to me that the 50-50 balance of the weight of the car, half in front-half in back, is determined at the vertical gap between the rear front fender and the front of the front door. I always try to include this imaginary line in my placement of the front arms, Carmine.