Rear differential

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
I don't remember the brand. I liked the looks of them, but I wouldn't recommend them. I got them from Summit,,, cheap, heavy and crooked.

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4

WENGINE

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
More 55-64 Chevy rear end horror stories: Had a 55 Chevy that I was racing on the weekend, (327/400+ hp) I had upgraded the rear to the 57 posi version that had the larger bearing. During one particularly launch the diff housing tore in half with the flange still mounted to the rear end housing. Oil, gears, housing parts and driveshaft all over the place. I was not very appreciated at that moment. I replaced it with a 56 Oldsmobile rear and never had the problem again. Same thing with my 56 Nomad during a street race, 427/400+hp. The Olds rear spent some time in the Nomad after that but its spiders were welded and 513 gears it wasn’t very street friendly. I picked up a 62 Chevy truck rear that I was going to experiment with that I still have but the 6 lug bolt pattern kind of put a damper on that and then got forgotten. Has anyone tried a setup like that?

Lt.FrankDrebin

Well Known Member
In the non-posi rears, the spider gears, were the weak link.:doh
:cry1
I was wondering what was considered the weakest link in these rears. I was looking for a rear to go with my stock 280HP 348 3x2 and kept running into disappointment. I finally gave up and built a rear to go into the stock center housing using a new Eaton posi differential and stock 3.55 ring and pinion.

WENGINE

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I tried a Chevy truck rear end and broke it just like the 55-64 stuff. Always wanted an Olds/Pontiac rear end!
That Olds rear was indestructible, wound up in in a friend of mine stock car and did roundy rounds for many years. From what you say I’m glad I didn’t put any money into that truck rear

WENGINE

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I was wondering what was considered the weakest link in these rears. I was looking for a rear to go with my stock 280HP 348 3x2 and kept running into disappointment. I finally gave up and built a rear to go into the stock center housing using a new Eaton posi differential and stock 3.55 ring and pinion.
How has the Eaton held up so far?

Reactions: 327