Rear end Question. 62 Biscayne

Stormed_Norm

Well Known Member
I'm sure this has been discussed a few times. But I'm sitting on the fence about it. I hvae my ls powered Biscayne and it doesn't have a posi unit in it. They are out there in both stock and aftermarket. I saw this one on e-bay for $525.00 with free shipping ( I have a U.S adress):
http://www.ebay.com/itm/18130530641...2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT#ht_1316wt_1144

I got a hold of a fellow that has a P carrier with a posi unit in it from a 61 Chevrolet. It is dirty and might have to be over hauled. He wants $600.00 for it. Which isn't that bad a price if it doesn't have to be gone through. Just not sure which is better to use. The Eaton unit is new and needs nothing. I have 3:36 gears in the Biscayne right now.I was thinking of a 9 inch Ford, but I read some posts on the forumn that say a stocker rear can hold 500 hp. I'm arounr 375-400 hp and not running slicks and have a automatic transmission. Any input would be appreciated. Kind of leaning towards teh Eaton unit right now.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
If youre gonna just cruise it,the 61 unit should get you by with fresh bearing,clutches and seals,but if you want to ocasionly "hammer it".I'd suggest the Eaton unit,and aftermarket saddle straps,and aftermarket axels.It would still be cheaper than a 9inch set up.

Stormed_Norm

Well Known Member
I'll hammer it once in a while. I know the Biscayne is no where near as fast as my LS powered Typhoon. But I'm still abit of a street racer at heart. Who sells the aftermarket saddle straps and axles?. Any links or is there a seller on the forumn?

Stormed_Norm

Well Known Member
Well a 9 inch house and axles is a grand. Then a still need the center section with a posi, another $400-$500 for a good used one around here anyways. Then I would have to see if the cpp rear disk brakes will work on it or not. It's kind of 6 of this, or a half dozen of that. At least with the 9 inch I know it probably won't break. ( crosses fingers).

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Well you would be spending the same amount to put rear disc brakes on the stock rear.....so don't count that part. I am pretty sure that most of the companies who offer bolt in housings build them to use the stock brakes.....so any kit that would fit your stock rear would fit it. I may be completely wrong about that so check before you buy. Even if they use a different pattern housing end....I think a disc swap would cost the same.
A grand for housing/axles....plus $500 for a good used posi puts you @ $1500. A good used posi for your stock rear is about $500.....$300 for axles......add more $$ for rebuilding it, the upgraded bearing cap or strap.....you are only about $500 cheaper at this point.
If you go with the 9" now.....you can sell your current rearend for at least $100.....that drops you down to $400 difference.
The 9" will hold up......if you stay with the 8.2" you'll most likely break it.....and then you are out the $500 (plus whatever rebuild costs were). No matter how you add it up....staying with the stock rear just doesn't make sense for one you are going to beat on.

I use a 12 bolt because I had one already.....and spare parts. I have enough stuff to build a couple more for future builds, but only because I've saved them for years. If I were starting from scratch the 9" would be the way to go...no doubt.

Stormed_Norm

Well Known Member
Found a local 9 inch for sale for $100.00. Here is his description of it:

Think it was from a 86 pickup. Backing plate to plate is 58, 65ish" mounting plate to mounting plate.

I could buy it and get it narrowed, machine the axles to the right lenght, and redrill the axles for chey bolt pattern. What was your 12 bolt out of and how hard was that to install?.

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Mine was out of a 67 Camaro. The others I have are 69 Impala, but I'd have them narrowed. Our stock rears are 60" from axle flange to flange (where the wheels bolt on.) This is the measurement I feel like matters most. You can't go by backing plate to backing plate in my opinion, because you'll see different width brake set-ups on different rears.
The 9" will be easier to install since you can weld to the steel housing easier than it was to weld the upper control arm brackets to the cast center of the 12 bolt.
That deal on the 9" for $100 doesn't sound too bad, but unless you can do a lot of that work yourself......the housing/axle package is probably the better deal. Does it have a center section in it? If it does, it may be worth buying to just use the center out of it.....even if it's not a posi/locker. You could run it until you find a deal on a posi. You could probably get most of the $100 back out of the other parts.
Another thing.....the 60" flange to flange is stock width from 58-64. Maybe back to 1955? If I were narrowing a rear anyway......I'd go with 58" flange to flange. It would make getting the wheels/tires between the rear and the quarter panel easier...plus allow a deeper dish on the wheels which always looks nice. Would also be just a few pounds lighter. That's what I'll do if I build another 12 bolt. I'll just order the axles for the '66-67 Chevy II twelve bolt length.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Its my understanding that the pickup 9 inch rear ends are one of the best to use, they are stronger. I just spoke with person at a swap meet here. He is from Des Moines Iowa and converts the original 9" rear ends(that you provide) for $220 plus the original brackets off " for example a 62 Chevy rear end". I saw completed rear ends he did for a Chevelle and others that he had done, plus he did one for a friends 65 El Camino. I have his contact info. Just information if you are trying to keep costs down. He said he would have to set up a jig to do a 62 -9" ford rear end for my 62 Chevy.

A guy in Canada I know sells the girdles for $249. I have them on my posi rear end behind my 500 HP -409 stroker motor. I have drag raced the car with my stock rear end housing and small slicks (spins alot -to prevent breakage). He has a stock posi rear end with good axles on his NHRA legal 409/409 D/Stock or C/Stock drag race bubble top.
In my opinion 58" is the width you need to fit larger tires on a 62 Chevy.

here is Quick Performance 9 " ford (from Ames, Iowa) for a 62 Chevy with all the correct brackets including two upper arms, that includes new axles.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/390536365025?_trksid=p2055120.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I considered buying this 9" ford rear end for my blue 62 SS Blue HT in my avatar but decided I did not need it since I do limited racing and would never install large slicks. Part of the reason was the cost.
One thing is for sure if you drag race much you need the 9" ford.
Paul

Stormed_Norm

Well Known Member
I e-mailed the fellow with the truck rear end back. Told him I will take it, if at least I can use the center section. Here's a pic from his ad. I saw that 9 inch on e-bay with the axles. I'll see what I can get the machine shops here to do for me. More parts in the garage I guess, till the snow melts. $100.00 won't break me.

Attachments

• 9 inch ford.jpg
    9 inch ford.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 36
Guess we should get this all cleared up...
Under 500 HP , street driven ?
Other than a stock rear end is completely unnecessary. A 9 inch is a horsepower costing, money wasting endeavor.

Left upper control arm is a given.
Install proper bearing cap supports ( which I've seen the 9 inch need anyhow )
Correct original style power lok posi unit, with 30 spline side gear conversion.
New 30 spline axles in stock lengths.
Bolt it together.
Run the freaking snot out of it.

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I e-mailed the fellow with the truck rear end back. Told him I will take it, if at least I can use the center section. Here's a pic from his ad. I saw that 9 inch on e-bay with the axles. I'll see what I can get the machine shops here to do for me. More parts in the garage I guess, till the snow melts. $100.00 won't break me.
The center section on that rear end is a boat anchor. Not a strong piece at all. For a factory Ford center, you want the one with extra ribbing and it will have a large N at the 12 o'clock position above the pinion.

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
I've bought parts from the guy in that auction on Ebay. He's a really good guy to deal with. Contact him privately and tell him you are from the YELLOWBULLET.com (sign up by the way) and you will get his best racer price. You should save a few hundred dollars on the bullet price.

Stormed_Norm

Well Known Member
30 spline side gear conversion.
New 30 spline axles in stock lengths.

Where are those available from? Never heard of that modification before.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Aubrey has the spider gear,and cap straps.I think the spiders are Dana 44 parts.The axels are aftermarket,both Moser,and Dutchman can build them any way you'd like.

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I would not waste the money on the 9". With the HP you mentioned and auto trany your stock rear end will work just fine.JMO

Stormed_Norm

Well Known Member
I might just buy the Eaton posi and see what happends. I have around 400 hp not really a large stall convertor and won't be running any slicks. Car won't see the 1/4 mile track, but some street action. I e-mailed the guy with the 9 inch truck rear end for sale. He lives 35 miles away and I told him $100.00 and I'll meet him in the cooty. Haven't heard back, so will see what happends there. I did call Aubrey about the cap supports, left a message for him to call me back. So will probably put those on also. Lots of different options/opinions on what to do. Thanks all for posting up replies.

400 HP ?
If you keep the rear gear at no more than 3.55 or maybe 3.70... you'll be good. The Eaton posi will work fine.... with the interior of your original pumpkin needing a bit of trimming.
The factory posi unit is getting difficult to find, and I'm not sure if the reproduction unit ( which IS superior to the Eaton or Auburn ) is still available ( they didn't market it very well... NOBODY knew about it :doh).

Install the bearing caps, and have piece of mind.

Stormed_Norm

Well Known Member
I have 3:36 gears in there. They sem o.k. With the 355 that I use to have in there, I could chirp the 20's when going into 2nc. It had a really well built turbo 350 with a nice stall.

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Guys in the know, say the Nitro version of the stock Chevrolet (Dana) posi is better than the factory unit. All in the same price range. Eaton has different spring rates for theirs if you are going racing. Pretty sure you can get the Nirto with the additional spline spiders from that Ebay dealer.