Rear end Question. 62 Biscayne

chevymusclecars

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I'll hammer it once in a while. I know the Biscayne is no where near as fast as my LS powered Typhoon. But I'm still abit of a street racer at heart. Who sells the aftermarket saddle straps and axles?. Any links or is there a seller on the forumn?

I don't see that anyone answered your question but here is a link to the straps for support and I'm sure he can give you other suggestions. I have a four link rear in my 63 Biscayne running a 409 and have had no problem?

http://www.bruneauperformance.ca/

Bill

chevymusclecars

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I'll hammer it once in a while. I know the Biscayne is no where near as fast as my LS powered Typhoon. But I'm still abit of a street racer at heart. Who sells the aftermarket saddle straps and axles?. Any links or is there a seller on the forumn?

I don't see that anyone answered your question but here is a link to the straps for support and I'm sure he can give you other suggestions. I have a four link rear in my 63 Biscayne running a 409 and have had no problem?

http://www.bruneauperformance.ca/

Bill

My apology for never being near a phone during business hours. The staggering... crippling cost of my intake manifold, made it necessary for me to take a regular mechanic job at our local GM dealer, Monday through Thursday.
Fridays and Saturday are usually good to phone.
Email is good... though it seems that some don't make it to me ?

Here's a picture of the rear end in my 62 BelAir:
1962belair409aug122007rearend720s.jpg

It uses custom made spool, 30 spline axles, 5.13 gears

Stormed_Norm

Well Known Member
I think your the first person to send me a picture of your rear end.....lol I'll give you a call and see what you can sell me.

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
63posi1.JPG 63posi2.JPG
Still have this for sale $800. plus shipping. All the good parts, still 17 spline. Sold the attaching hardware and the Moser axles. Pretty bullet proof for the low 400 HP car. Complete bolt in, 4:11 Richmond gears on a rebuilt GM posi. Cap supports on both sides. Remove the spacer and you can use 3 series gears if you like. 63 P case.

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
63 P case, rebuilt 63 posi, new timkin bearings, 2 saddle braces, yoke. $750. It will cost me to have the gears removed. Shipping for something like this is around $75-$90 in the states. No idea what the cost is to the North.

Can't see how they could clear the inside of the diff housing ???????? The housing is rounded inside.
not my first BBQ working with these rear ends;)

Stormed_Norm

Well Known Member
I'd offer you $600.00 and shipping ( going by e-bay posi cases for U.S address is around $40.00). The gears I would sell, the caps don't look like they really add much support. If you say no, I understand. There's not much there for me. A p-case doesn't really add a bunch of value to my car. They have turned up locally for around the $500.00 mark. Just never paid that much for one. I can still buy a new posi unit for that much. My gears are good, bearing kits are available . Your call.

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
I'm going to say no sale.
The edges of the cap supports are rounded just enough to fit in the housing. These are Mr Gasket or Mickey Thompson. Caps only add support to the center of the bearing cap with two allen screws to keep it from pushing out. Just like the support pins in the aluminum differential covers for back load rears. Only needs support on the weak part of the arch. This has two on both sides. P case needs no modification to add the posi. Easy enough to add the Eaton or Nitro posi to your pumpkin. Timkin or Koyo bearings and a solid spacer instead of the crush sleeve will also help. The set up on these are real important. I think Aubrey is the only source for cap supports now days.

Stormed_Norm

Well Known Member
Well I finaly did some " car work" or as I would prefer to cal it, sit in front of the computer and surf. I ordered the Eaton posi unit from Drivetrain America. On e-bay the unit is $525.00 , I got it for $499.92 shipped. So a bit of a discount. I contacted Dutchman Axles,Moser Axles . The price from Dutchman was $320.00 he also said that I should order the non posi axles as they are 1/8 of a inch longer than factory posi alxes. If i had the factory posi unit I would need the shorter axles. With the Eaton carrier a stock axles is used. Moser wants $470.00 for their axles. Guess will order from Dutchman.

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Posi and non posi axles are the same length: 29.50" and 30.50"

I have Dutchman axles in my car. Very nice quality. Buy a set of axle retainer plates from the corvette part suppliers, get some 1/2" studs and some good quality bearings and you are set

Last edited:

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Yea I just edited my post cuz I knew I read somewhere on this site that they are the same length

Stormed_Norm

Well Known Member
I'm just saying that the guy from Dutchman was telling me this. I never knew anything about it. But with a aftermarket posi unit there is no probblem. It's just if you use a GM posi unit. Don't shoot the messanger here. It's all new to me.

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Posi and non posi axles are the same length: 29.50" and 30.50"

I have Dutchman axles in my car. Very nice quality. Buy a set of axle retainer plates from the corvette part suppliers, get some 1/2" studs and some good quality bearings and you are set
At .125 per side on the street Jason,I'd doubt it.
Yea I just edited my post cuz I knew I read somewhere on this site that they are the same length

What? Sorry, but now I am confused. Aren't they the same length stock from 58-64 for all our rears? (Maybe back to 1955?)

Last edited: