Rear gear setup help

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
I had bought a used a 4.11 posi with a ring gear spacer(high school kid did not know anything about those). Jumped on it one day and ripped all the ring gear bolts out! High 12 second 409 stick car 1971. Replaced it with a 4.56 "thick gear" that never missed a beat with lots of 5000 side steps!

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
I think part of the problem when installing the spacer, some use the original ring gear bolts instead of buying longer bolts to allow for the thickness of the spacer.

425/409ER

Well Known Member
Be careful, even from Yukon. I just went through this crap with my 12 bolt the last couple of months and it turned out my new Yukon that was to be a 3 series carrier turned out to be a 4 series which let me down the path of WTF do I do now crap. I have some extra non-posi carriers to test if you need one, but you'll have to pay for the shipping.

Gliderider06

Well Known Member
Be careful, even from Yukon. I just went through this crap with my 12 bolt the last couple of months and it turned out my new Yukon that was to be a 3 series carrier turned out to be a 4 series which let me down the path of WTF do I do now crap. I have some extra non-posi carriers to test if you need one, but you'll have to pay for the shipping.
Thank you. I got it figured out. I had an early pinion gear that was .150" shorter causing me from getting my backlash.