Red Oxide

JoeM

Does anyone have a recommendation for Red Oxide in a semi-gloss? Looking for rattle can or brush paint. Everything I am finding is flat/primer.
Thanks

WENGINE

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Im pretty sure Por15 makes a top coat Red Oxide paint in rattle can or cans check it out

R63ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
I agree with Paul,dplf 74.Buy a cheap o harbor freight spray gun with a 1.8 tip for 20 bucks and borrow a compressor if you don’t have one.I mixed 5 parts dplf 74(red) with 1 part dplf 90(black) to darken it a little IMG_1491.jpeg

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I used the dplf 74 on the bottom of my race car because it is very durable and will seal out moisture because it is an epoxy. The color is off though. It doesn't match the factory primer on either low mileage cars here at the house. It's too rose colored for a lack of a better term. If you want a true semi-gloss finish and durability, you will need to use a semi-gloss clear over whatever primer you choose.

skaz

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I used tremclad primer then cleared it , I ended up just painting it black because I didn’t care for it

Attachments

• 437DFC3A-1380-4081-B3E2-838D34437018.jpeg
    437DFC3A-1380-4081-B3E2-838D34437018.jpeg
    78.5 KB · Views: 31

JoeM

Sharing what I came up with, maybe it will help someone else. Found this on the Home Depot website, $22.95 for a quart.

Did the roof with a 4" roller. It went pretty fast and laid down smooth. I am not a fan of red oxide but I wanted something for the inside before the interior goes in. If you have to have the original look, here you go.

IMG_5631.jpgIMG_5632.jpgIMG_5611.jpgIMG_5626.jpgIMG_5635.jpg

JoeM

It looks good, just not sure how that paint will hold up on metal.
Time will tell. This is what the manufacturer states...

"Use on properly prepared interior/exterior metal and wood surfaces. Ideal for use on doors, trim, molding, cabinetry, plaster, masonry, cinder block, well-bonded wallpaper, brick, stucco, aluminum and wrought iron."

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
How did you properly prepare?? Did you prime metal first???

Last edited:

JoeM

How did you properly prepare?? Did you prime metal first???
Scraped off the old insulation.
Softened up the old glue with mineral spirits. Scraped again.
Roughed it up and knocked down the rust with an aggressive cup brush on an angle grinder.
Wiped it down with Prepsol.
I did not use primer.

IMG_5620.jpg

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
It may or may not stick. Since the roofs seem to naturally rust ,why they did not primer from factory?? I would think you should have primed it first. I used Rust-Oleum red primer on my roof after sanding metal down and wiping it with metal prep. I used it on my floors also and it looked as original primer on the car. Of course I cheated and stood up spraying the under roof horozontaly as I had the body tilted on rotisserie sideways standing in doorway on the shop floor so can was in proper position. Much easier.

Last edited:

JoeM

It may or may not stick. Since the roofs seem to naturally rust ,why they did not primer from factory?? I would think you should have primed it first. I used Rust-Oleum red primer on my roof after sanding metal down and wiping it with metal prep. I used it on my floors also and it looked as original primer on the car. Of course I cheated and stood up spraying the under roof horozontaly as I had the body tilted on rotisserie sideways standing in doorway on the shop floor so can was in proper position. Much easier.
I guess I'll find out if it stick's, I plan on getting the car up and running before it gets a headliner. When I get ready to do the floor, I'll shoot some primer down.

Yep, a rotisserie would sure make things easier. Sucked doing this reaching up over my head the whole time.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
I guess I'll find out if it stick's, I plan on getting the car up and running before it gets a headliner. When I get ready to do the floor, I'll shoot some primer down.

Yep, a rotisserie would sure make things easier. Sucked doing this reaching up over my head the whole time.
Are you planning taking body off frame???