Road Trip #2

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Well, my wife officially thinks I'm crazy! She new it before, now it's official.

I left last night at 11:30pm and got home tonight at 10:45pm. No sleep and 900 miles later I picked up a 61 Impala Bubbletop north of Amarillo, headed east to the Chickasha swap meet (found nothing) and then home. I must say I am tired, having not slept since I woke up yesterday at 9:00 am. I am going to sleep now....:yawn::yawn::yawn::yawn:

Attachments

• DSC03946.jpg
    DSC03946.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 116

bobs409

Administrator
Ok Brian, if you must sleep! When you get up, start driving that beautiful machine toward Pa. You have my address. :D

Bob

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Ok Brian, if you must sleep! When you get up, start driving that beautiful machine toward Pa. You have my address. :D

Bob

Bob-

I just checked the mileage to your house...1459 miles. I should be able to be there by noon tomorrow morning, i have to finish my coffee first!..:coffee::scratch:scratch

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
nice found get some sleep getting to old for those all nighters but they are fun !!!!!!!!!:clap

Thanks Gabe! It was supposed to be a quick trip to get the car and then home. On the way up there, Tony (skim), who slept for most of the drive and never drove, mentioned the swap meet so we had to make a detour!

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
few more pics...

003.jpg

002.jpg

bobs409

Administrator
Looks solid! No rot that I can see.

What happened to all the glass? Someone vandalize it?

So Brian, you'll need to tell us the story on this car ya know. Not for me but the guys will want to know. :p

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
Wow. Nice car Brian.:clap I bet Skim, is jealous. What he started out with, doesn't compare to what you found.:brow This car will also have a 409, yes?:clap What wife, doesn't think their husband is crazy.

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Bob-

It is very solid. The only rust I found is in the rear passenger floor. It is about 6 inches in size. Tony (skim) found it on a DFW mustang forum listed with a bunch of ford cars. He didn't have the funds to get it because he has bought so many other cars recently, so he told me about it. I looked at the pics and we drove up there to pick it up.

I already have all the glass to go init, kids broke it out years ago. The only thing I think I don't have to make it a complete builder car is a 61 glovebox lid and trunk lid, damaged from someone backing into it. It came with a 283, but it is missing the valve covers and I don't know if it is any good, but will find out within the next week.

He had a complete and solid, but apart, 65 2dr Impala V8 Disc Brake car that I may end up getting as well. They stripped it down and started to do the body work on it then lost interest. I got a 65 JA block from my ealrier road trip, so I may build it up and put it in the 65, but it won't be for a while. Too much other stuff to do.

Also a 60 Biscayne 4 door car, Very solid car with nice interior and comes with an extra front clip. I may buy it to part out, but I do know where I can get a 60 348 that is in a daily driver for cheap. Not sure if it would be worth as much as a good driver 4 door or for parts.....

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Wow. Nice car Brian.:clap I bet Skim, is jealous. What he started out with, doesn't compare to what you found.:brow This car will also have a 409, yes?:clap What wife, doesn't think their husband is crazy.

Not this one Skip. I bought it to clean it up, make it complete and Ebay it. I wish I could keep it, but the wife said I had to chose the 61 or the 65. I chose the 65.

roger gunter

Supporting Member 1
Brian

I might have a glove box lid ??
not sure will check in all my stuff tomorrow, when I go to the shop
don't have a trunk lid but I do have a good hood ( few hail dents )
anyway let me know if you need any thing else I have quite a few parts
left from my 61 ( sold quite a few also )
:cheers
Roger

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Brian

I might have a glove box lid ??
not sure will check in all my stuff tomorrow, when I go to the shop
don't have a trunk lid but I do have a good hood ( few hail dents )
anyway let me know if you need any thing else I have quite a few parts
left from my 61 ( sold quite a few also )
:cheers
Roger

Thanks Roger! You still have that hood!!!!!! I thought you gave it away at Pate???? Actually, I might want it as well!:)

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
BRAIN WITH ALL THAT GOING ON IT SOUNDS LIKE YOU HAVE FOUND A NEW FULL TIME JOB :clap:clap:clap

You know, I have been thinking about it, but I would want to build and keep all the cars!!!

I also know where a complete 65 Impala SS with the original 409 is as well, he has had it for over 20 years. But I can't get him to give me a number for what he wants for it. Ronnie looked at it back when he first got it but walked away at 2300.00...who knew???

droptop62

Supporting Member 1
I like that 61! Too bad you can't find them like that in Minnesota.
If I had time, money, and room I would be all over it. but since I am short on all three looks like I will just have to admire from a distance.
Good Score :cheers

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Well, Got a call today about a 62 Impala wagon and Tony wanted it, so we headed back to Oklahoma to pick it up today... Tony is going to put in a new headliner, restore the engine compartment, body trim, add torque thrusts and drive it with the Patina paint.

It's an original owner PS, PB, AC, 327 PG car. Runs and drives. Only rust is in the floor pans and lower right fender.

DSCN3364.jpg

Skim

Well Known Member
Brian has been getting a little more attached to 61's :clap it looks like (atleast from what I could tell) I think he should keep that bubbletop and flip that 65 that he was looking at up there.
Oh and by the way I offered to split the driving but noooooo:dunno:D he said driving keeps him awake.

Yeah the bubbletop is looking sweet. He worked a miracle on that bent up front valence panel. Car really cleaned up well. We put an original paint fawn hood and decklid on it and it looks 10 times better. We fixed a few bumps and bruises and hell I wouldnt mind slapping some Coys on it with a set of dropped spindles and cruising it as is all original looking.