Rosemont Illinois , Musclecar and corvette nationals Z11 62 Impala.

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
The gentleman has it wrong regarding the Z-11. There was no such thing as a Z-11 for 62. RPO Z-11 was for the 1963 model year only. As a matter of fact the Special Service Package of parts with the 2 piece intake manifold and valley cover were different between the parts release for 1962 compared to 1963. Below you can see the 1962 version on the left and the RPO Z-11 on the right.
IMG_3782.JPGIMG_3783.JPG

In 1962 we know there were somewhere between 18-20 cars built with the aluminum front ends. Those cars had the 409/409 engine not the Z-11 which was a 427 cu in.

Somewhere I have a copy of the newspaper ad from Don Steves Chevrolet with 2 of the cars with the aluminum front ends for sale and I will post it also.

What Chevrolet did was to ship the parts to the drag racers of the day and never built a car with both the aluminum front end and the Special Service Package parts that eventually included the 2 piece intake. It should also be noted that there were many releases of various combinations of cams, springs, heads, etc as Chevrolet strived to get the proper combination that would allow them to win at Indy in 62, that was the goal. Our friend Hayden Proffitt was the one that did it!!

I have validated this info from 2 pretty good sources, Hayden Proffitt whom we all know and respect and Dick Harrells wrench, Charlie Gaines. Both told me the cars they built, they did so with parts shipped to them. Hayden and Charlie both told me they received the heads and engine parts in one crate and a few days or a week later the aluminum front end parts came in a larger crate.

I hope this helps someway.

Pat

Well Known Member
The gentleman has it wrong regarding the Z-11. There was no such thing as a Z-11 for 62. RPO Z-11 was for the 1963 model year only. As a matter of fact the Special Service Package of parts with the 2 piece intake manifold and valley cover were different between the parts release for 1962 compared to 1963. Below you can see the 1962 version on the left and the RPO Z-11 on the right.
View attachment 49550View attachment 49551

In 1962 we know there were somewhere between 18-20 cars built with the aluminum front ends. Those cars had the 409/409 engine not the Z-11 which was a 427 cu in.

Somewhere I have a copy of the newspaper ad from Don Steves Chevrolet with 2 of the cars with the aluminum front ends for sale and I will post it also.

What Chevrolet did was to ship the parts to the drag racers of the day and never built a car with both the aluminum front end and the Special Service Package parts that eventually included the 2 piece intake. It should also be noted that there were many releases of various combinations of cams, springs, heads, etc as Chevrolet strived to get the proper combination that would allow them to win at Indy in 62, that was the goal. Our friend Hayden Proffitt was the one that did it!!

I have validated this info from 2 pretty good sources, Hayden Proffitt whom we all know and respect and Dick Harrells wrench, Charlie Gaines. Both told me the cars they built, they did so with parts shipped to them. Hayden and Charlie both told me they received the heads and engine parts in one crate and a few days or a week later the aluminum front end parts came in a larger crate.

I hope this helps someway.

Pat
Thanks Pat

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Thank you Pat for posting that information. I think the gentleman's first statement , "most people think of me as a Pontiac guy" may be the key. He's surely not a Chevrolet guy and I guess that explains the radiator hose clamps. Those type clamps were used on a 62 Pontiac but not on a 62 Chevrolet but that's not really important .
This is the type of information that really should be corrected, it's put out there and people take it for the gospel when in reality it's not correct.

Last edited:

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Thank you Pat for posting that information. I think the gentleman's first statement , "most people think of me as a Pontiac guy" may be the key. He's surely not a Chevrolet guy and I guess that explains the radiator hose clamps. Those type clamps were used on a 62 Pontiac but not on a 62 Chevrolet but that's not really important .
This is the type of information that really should be corrected, it's put out there and people take it for the gospel when in reality it's not correct.

Tommy, I'm going to reach out to him and visit. I'm sure he believes what he has said, but unfortunately too much of it is incorrect. It's also interesting no where on the car does it say Dick Harrell and that is whose car it was.

Regarding the 62 aluminum front end cars, here is the ad I referenced by Don Steves Chevrolet in LaHabra, Ca that had 2 of them. Several years ago I spoke with Don's son about the cars. He said they had all kinds of cars coming in and out of there all the time. He said his father was connected to Chevy in a big way and he was a kid enjoying all of it. Anyway, in the ad, I had forgotten, it says only 20 made and has the 409 engine and of course not the Z-11 427 cu in.

Just thought I would share this additional piece of info.

Pat.

IMG_9673.JPG

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I was at the show again this year. Amazing cars for sure. I am confident there are many questionable cars in the show. But dollar for dollar, its hard to beat the variety, quality and fun to be had at that show. We were there ALL day Saturday and still didn't see everything.

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
I was at the show again this year. Amazing cars for sure. I am confident there are many questionable cars in the show. But dollar for dollar, its hard to beat the variety, quality and fun to be had at that show. We were there ALL day Saturday and still didn't see everything.
I agree, it is the best muscle car show there is. I have taken cars there twice but the possibility of bad weather that time year in that part of the country scares me off.

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
If it is Harrels car, why is his name not on it ?

As I understand the reason Harrells name is not on that car or any other cars that may have been his, has to do with his daughter. I have learned she has copyrighted his name and own the rights to its usage. Therefore, unless you pay her a royalty for the use of his name, you cannot. I'm not in her shoes, however it seems to me if she wanted to profit from his name she would encourage more original cars to be found and displayed accordingly, or clones to be made. I'm sure the associated promotional materials could be sold, shirts, jackets, decals, etc.

I, for one would be a buyer of those items as we bought a ZL-1 Camero from him, a friend of mine was his wrench as well as other connections.

Seems such a shame for his memory to fade instead of being promoted as I'm sure he would have wanted. He was always such a gentleman, calm, quiet, but incredibly quick at the lights.
Just my opinion.

409envy

Well Known Member
Dick Harrell and Dyno Don are probably the two most prolific chevy racers of the era. I for one have taken most of my inspiration for my Chevy II project from Harrell's Retrobution cars and Dyno's b/fx wagon. I agree that making access to Harrells "brand" easier would seem to make the most sense from a marketing standpoint. Difficult to judge from an outside perspective. Still a really nice car all the same!