Run stands

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I mounted the front of a frame onto a shortened boat trailer. Nice and portable, mounted a radiator support from a 63 with battery tray. Mounted the fuel tank on the trailer tongue. But it probably does limit the engines I can run to just Chevys. Not a problem for me though.

wristpin

Well Known Member
Planning on oil psi, H2O °F, fuel psi, Os sensor on each exhaust, tach.
I have 2" square tubing, gauges, radiator, electric fans, electric fuel pump, etc extra already so no big deal putting it together.
I have at least 4 engines id use on it now. Worth the BS to make it up.

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Wristpin, my friend Barry was bored one winter and decided to build a run stand, so he got online and bought a sychmatic for the designs for one. It was not easy and not cheap. He has used it many times on his build of his 409's, and also used it for a 427 for a friend. It can be modified to run for most any engine. You can call him for his idea's, he loves to talk, so beware. Barry 425-508-3266, or I know he wants to sell his, $ I,ooo. + shipping. Seattle wa.100_3594.jpeg

Tooth

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I was going to build one and actually bought the steel to build it, but I went over and saw Ralph Wednesday and he tempted me and I brought home this. It is adjustable and I’m going to tweak on it a little bit but I couldn’t buy the materials to build it for what I paid for this one. I have searched for blueprints and looked at lots of them on the Internet. The sky is the limit. Just make sure it’s not too big to take up too much room. Some Can be disassembled for storage. You’re welcome to look at mine for ideas if you want. A cheap engine stand will work for the mounting base for the back or a bell housing. Lots of ways to go here are some pics.C9AF1148-77A4-4263-85D5-B0FEB86F8B7A.jpeg

Attachments

• 477710E8-FEF7-4961-8E84-FAC711AA9133.jpeg
    477710E8-FEF7-4961-8E84-FAC711AA9133.jpeg
    72.9 KB · Views: 29

wristpin

Well Known Member
Thanks guys you're great! I see some really good ideas in each one that i didnt consider. I'll incorporate them in mine. I think ill also make the stand section for the radiator easily removable and have the starter button and gauges mounted on that section. Then when i move it somewhere to break in an new engine (James willing hint hint) its easy to pick up and move. On the first pic (purple/yellow) the motor mounts are movable and top section is replaceable for different size and makes....i really like that.

Iowa409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Yep I bought the factory one, the budget unit, about $350-$400, then got it and modified it for my needs, add a radiator mount, etc.
I like i can adjust up/down for height and forward or backward for bell housings, etc, the wheels or casters are kinda crappy, but I don't roll it around much after its all set up and ready to go.

Tooth

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Mine will be a lot more adjustable when I get finished tweaking it. It would be nice if you could figure out a way to actually put a load on your motor while it was running too. :scratch I’m sure there will be someway that you can put an attachment on your fly wheel in place of the converter with some kind of torsion spring or tension spring that you can adjust the load with a lever. This would help to break the rings in and not necessarily trying to put a super load on the motor just enough to simulate being in a vehicle. Torque can definitely be an influencer as to what kind of performance your motor will have!:juggle

our1962

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Yep I bought the factory one, the budget unit, about $350-$400, then got it and modified it for my needs, add a radiator mount, etc.
I like i can adjust up/down for height and forward or backward for bell housings, etc, the wheels or casters are kinda crappy, but I don't roll it around much after its all set up and ready to go.

mine was the same with wheels, I called the company and they sent me 8 steel wheels, even though I only needed 4, 2 swivel an 2 fixed :drinking

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I was going to build one and actually bought the steel to build it, but I went over and saw Ralph Wednesday and he tempted me and I brought home this. It is adjustable and I’m going to tweak on it a little bit but I couldn’t buy the materials to build it for what I paid for this one. I have searched for blueprints and looked at lots of them on the Internet. The sky is the limit. Just make sure it’s not too big to take up too much room. Some Can be disassembled for storage. You’re welcome to look at mine for ideas if you want. A cheap engine stand will work for the mounting base for the back or a bell housing. Lots of ways to go here are some pics.View attachment 88748
I just love the massive fuel tank! Must put a couple hours run time on it to break it in. ;)

wristpin

Well Known Member
I have a set of stainless log style exhaust for BBC that has air injection bungs on each port. It will be interesting to screw an O2 sensor in each bung at a time and compare readings