Seat belt restoration

R63ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Wondering who people have used to restore seatbelts?I am looking for someone to do the ones for my 63.

Reactions: 327

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Snake Oyl in Texas restores factory seat belts - I have 3 sets in my 62’s done by them.
I have pictures of my restored factory 1962 seat belts and my used “sets” of 62 & 63 factory seat belts

They polish/restore the top of buckles, rechrome the bases, rechrome the original tongues and install new 3 or 4 panel webbing( in the selected color) install a new sticker like the original stickers on the buckles.
For the front seat I send them zinc plated mounting hardware ( from the original belts ) to be sewn to the bottom of the new belts and
I use to mount the belts - the loop shaped factory connectors (zinc plated ) for the fine thread nuts “welded to the bottom of factory floor pans” ( in 62,63 and 64).
62 and 63 factory belts have colored plastic boots mounted over the webbing on the bottom 8-10” “on the front seat belts” I have seen and have black, red, white and green boots on the belts I found to buy over the years.

I purchased a saddle ( brown) set of all original 1963 factory front seat belts with black boots a number of years ago from a local friend.

Snake Oyl sends web samples to you to match color of the restored belts to your interior and a estimated cost to approve.
I just sent in 2 sets of 62 original factory seat belts for the back seat in 2 of my 62’s to be restored.

Paul

Well Known Member
I agree with seat belts. Yes a option in 1962. My Impala did not come with them. Okay with me.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I agree with seat belts. Yes a option in 1962. My Impala did not come with them. Okay with me.
If your floor pans are original there are 4 plates with hex nuts welded to the bottom of the floor pans for
2 front seat belt sets ( every 62 I have ever seen had these factory mounts welded to the bottom of the factory floor pans). The factory installed rubber plugs in the 4 square fine thread nuts to keep water from the interior.
I have transferred the seat belt mounts to new floor pans in at least one frame off restoration.
Paul

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
No problem with not wanting belts
I was just pointing out the plates that the factory started adding in 1962
they moved the mounts in 63 & 64 and changed them to just square nuts
Paul

Well Known Member
Still running factory power brake booster and drum brakes, but with a dual master cylinder.

Last edited:

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I have restored ( all new 4 wheel drum brakes with a restored factory power brake booster) and single factory master cylinder on my 62 SS 409 convertible and I think it stops “better or just a good” - - as my 62 SS 409 hardtop with 4 wheel disc brakes with dual master cylinder power brake booster.

Well Known Member
I used to notice brake fade back when with the single master cylinder. Then I went to the dual master cylinder. All is good. Still running drums.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
My original screw top master cylinders have stainless sleeves in them to stop leaks that occur and probably seal them
better with the new kits.
I have had 4 to 5 1962's and 2 of my 62's now with the stainless sleeves in the single master cylinders.

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
If your floor pans are original there are 4 plates with hex nuts welded to the bottom of the floor pans for
2 front seat belt sets ( every 62 I have ever seen had these factory mounts welded to the bottom of the factory floor pans). The factory installed rubber plugs in the 4 square fine thread nuts to keep water from the interior.
I have transferred the seat belt mounts to new floor pans in at least one frame off restoration.
Paul
Paul I have two more of those seat belt mounts on the passenger side floor I cut out of the Salt Shaker. I need to get them knocked off and sent to you if you need them.

R63ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Thanks for the info Paul,where they just polish the top of the buckle in your opinion are these to far gone with the pitting or can they save them?IMG_2410.jpeg

Last edited:

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Those original 62 & 63 seat belts look just fine to restore them.
I have about 3 sets that look like your set for condition.
The buckles would have to have pits that you can see or feel - I can’t see pitting in your picture.

Snake Oyl will tell you ( after you send in your belts) - when they send you estimated restoration cost & samples for color if they can’t restore the buckles
Paul

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Here is my supply of original 62 and 63 Chevrolet factory seat belts - some of these sets have been
sold for restoration. note the different colors and the boot colors -rear seat sets of belts did not have the colored boots.
Paul

IMG_0122-002.jpgIMG_0124-002.jpgIMG_0127-002.jpg

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
1962(or 1963) restored original "Red" seat front seat belts & correct mounting hardware for 1962 & 1963 -only difference in 1963 is the location of factory fine thread mounting nuts welded on the bottom of the factory floor pan.

Also restored red seat belts in my 62 impala hardtop with correct mounting hardwareDSCN9710.JPGDSCN9712.JPGDSCN9717.JPGDSCN9721.JPGDSCN9723.JPG to floor.