Seat cover help

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I got a set of Cars Inc seat covers installed on my seat frames. I'm the process of putting everything back together and noticed there aren't any slits in the covers for the seatbelts to slide through. Hmm now what? Anyone else run into this with Cars seat covers before? Seems a little crazy they wouldn't have the slits for the belts. Could install them just up the back of the seat but that looks sloppy to me.

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
Jason, I had Cars bench seat covers installed in my '62 Impala 23 years ago. No slits or slots. I ran the belts over the back for a while, but the seat would not go all the way back. Felt through the cover and found the right location and cut the cover. Can't see where with the backrest in position.It would have been nice to have them sew in a grommet though.

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I don't think I can bring myself to cut slits in the covers just yet. Will have to run them up the back for now and see how that works. I love the look of the factory Biscayne covers but can say I'm not overly impressed with the quality from Cars. Seams are crooked, piping not finished correctly on the driver's side, pattern wraps around to the back where it shouldn't on the passenger side like its too big. I had always heard that Cars makes really nice interiors for these cars and for the money I spent I'm not overly impressed. My scratch-built 27 year old covers that were in my car fit muuuuccccch nicer.

bobs409

Administrator
Should have sent them back! If they get enough of their screw ups returned they just might do some quality control.

I guess it's just the day we live in, the almighty buck over quality...

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The problem is you can't tell there are problems like this until the covers are installed. When I pulled them out of the box to look them over they looked pretty good to me. The catch is, once they are installed, all bets are off. Cars won't do anything. I called them to tell them I wasn't particularly happy with the fitment of the covers and my installer pointed out several issues. Their first question was, "are they installed?"

So I'm not really sure how the average person would know if a cover was cut correctly when its flat and uninstalled? :dunno This stuff costs a lot of money, or at least for me it does. I expected really nice fitting, quality covers for what they charge.

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
Take pics and get on them......call back,talk to a manager....until thc cover was stretched,that's what revealed the flaws.....if there are issues I can't believe they'd turn the other cheek

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I talked with them yesterday. They don't seem interested in do anything about the fitment issues unfortunately.

bobs409

Administrator
I only have experience with PUI.

I guess all you can do is warn others as you've done here. Nobody wants to take responsibilities these days. Note to self: Don't buy Cars interiors! :lamer

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I'll just say "Buyer Beware." I know Cars has and does make nice interiors. I have seen their work. And its always impressed me. Which is why I decided to order one of their interiors for my car. I wanted the factory look. The materials they use look good. I just think they should fit a little better I guess. I don't think I am expecting too much really.

I went through this same thing with Giffin Radiators. Buying a premium product that ultimately doesn't fit when I could have spent significantly less with a radiator from ebay that drops right in. A buddy with a 63 Impala has a $229 ebay radiator and his works and fits great. I have probably $650 in my Griffin with all the shipping back and forth and hours spent trimming the mounting tabs to get it to fit. Ultimately, got nothing from Griffin for my time/extra money spent shipping them ill-fitting radiators back.

Kind of the same scenario here with these seat covers…call to explain the situation and see if anything could be done and immediately they defaulted to the "well they have been installed so nothing can be done now." While that is the case that the cover can't be repaired, how would someone know it isn't going to fit right until its installed? :dunno How can you know if a seam will be straight until its pulled over the frame, the proper foam is in place and hog rings used to pull the cover tight? Just a little bummed that they didn't turn out as I had hoped.

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
I would continue to call every day until they stopped taking them.calmly ask everyday what we could do to satisfy a customer who spent their hard earned dollars with a supposed reputable company......and got a product of sub-standard quality.......and remind them,"I've got a nice ride,go to a lot of shows......and when I'm asked about my interior,I will gladly let them know it's a CARS INC. seat cover........and when I'm not asked,I will gladly let them know.........

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
You may try emailing them a link to this thread and invite them to comment here. Also post up pictures here in the thread showing the areas of concern. I am sure we would welcome their input.

61BUBBLE348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I have had no dealings with Cars, Ciadella or others, but when you buy seat covers you are not getting a custom fit Motor Trimmers show quality job.
Guys that can remember our cars new (not me) will probably chime in, but often the trim was a little ill fitting, particularly where they stretch over corners, this is because of mass production and variations in seat frames, foams etc.

What you do get in general is a well fitting (not perfect) good quality original style that pretty well resembles original fitment.
Put covers on 50 year old seats in some instances may need a rebuild of seat frame, foam and padding replacement as well as sagging springs to get a good fit.

By the way I am an electrician. :roll

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
You may try emailing them a link to this thread and invite them to comment here. Also post up pictures here in the thread showing the areas of concern. I am sure we would welcome their input.
Yes like to see your concern's!!!!!:scratch:scratch

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
To my knowledge, CARS has never put the slits in the bottom seat covers for seat belts. Maybe it something they should...at least starting with the years that seat belts were mandatory.

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
^ Thats what the customer service guy told me too Phil. Said they don't intend for seat belts to be used with their covers….which seems crazy considering a lot of us actually drive these cars. Sure I could cut the cover but that makes me cringe at the thought especially knowing what I paid for them.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
The back side was just a slit in the vinyl. Then in 64 I believe, there is a vinyl protector that fastened to the bottom on the back side of the front seat. I have a pair of used original 1964 seat belts that has this protector. I've included 2 pictures to show what I mean. If they were fawn...they would be perfect for your car!!!!64redseatbelt1.jpg 64redseatbelt2.jpg