second upper control arm

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Good point Tom. Thanks for remembering to mention it. Any updates on the big block build or the crossram 327? Sure was pretty in those pics!!

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Sorry Brian just saw your post now. Yea I did the second upper arm awhile back. I have the global west pieces that Brian posted a photo of above and will add those this winter along with the 4.56s

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
My car with 3.50 gears is a blast to drive, with the 4.30 gears it is f#$%in unbelievable! You will love the steeper gears.:beer

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Yea I kinda figured. I have almost everything I need to get it together just need a set of Aubrey's bearing caps for it and its ready to go. Good winter project. I don't ever take the car on the freeway anymore so 4.56s should be a lot of fun out in the country!:beer

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
My slicks are MH Racemaster vintage style 8.50x14s on a 14x6. Full slick with just two thin grooves in them. I run tubes set at about 28-30psi. About 28.5" tall

2cr38nk.jpg

http://www.mandhtires.com/M-H-Racemaster-Drag-Slicks/8.00-8.50-14#.Uml3MfnVC3s

I run the slicks on the car from April to October on the street. My spare set of radials are 275-60-15s on a 15x8, 28" tire for the rear. I hate the ride of the radials compared to the bias tires. No feedback.

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I'll have the assembled 3.73 and a 4.56 chunk to swap when I want. The 4.56 is just for fun. I still haven't been to the track with it yet

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
I run a 28 inch tire, and at 6200 I am at 120. The motor really sounds good wound up. I have been 144 mph with a 3.36 gear a few year ago. That was at 6000 rpm and the same tires. What a thrill. Shit happens fast at those speeds.:brow

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
According to the online calculators and such, the 4.56 gear should be about perfect for my car to run it out the back door through the traps. I need to weigh this thing too, meant to do that this summer

Rickys61

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
My slicks are MH Racemaster vintage style 8.50x14s on a 14x6. Full slick with just two thin grooves in them. I run tubes set at about 28-30psi. About 28.5" tall

2cr38nk.jpg

http://www.mandhtires.com/M-H-Racemaster-Drag-Slicks/8.00-8.50-14#.Uml3MfnVC3s

I run the slicks on the car from April to October on the street. My spare set of radials are 275-60-15s on a 15x8, 28" tire for the rear. I hate the ride of the radials compared to the bias tires. No feedback.
Jason, I'm right there with you on the bias plys...love the stance of your car..

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Thanks! Added the 409 rear springs and new gas shocks last winter and now it sits just how I wanted

RCE1962

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Yea I kinda figured. I have almost everything I need to get it together just need a set of Aubrey's bearing caps for it and its ready to go. Good winter project. I don't ever take the car on the freeway anymore so 4.56s should be a lot of fun out in the country!:beer

Jason. I recall you mentioning that you wanted to switch over to the 4:56s. Mine were installed last summer. No freeway... just the back roads and city driving for me as well. WAY more FUN than I EVER expected. I too have a back up set...(3:36s).

Having said that...I need to correct the non-hooking problem of this car. Acceleration in every gear is out of this world....but part of the reason I started this post was because I got a lot of wheel hop at launch. I need new shocks and bushings but I'm fairly sure the second control arm will provide the greater overall degree of correction in this case. The station wagon coil springs have raised the rear end a bit and may be screwing with this problem too. I have the same size cheater slick only a different make. Do you have the wagon (409) coil springs on the car in the last picture you posted? :dunno Check out the ride height on the 62'...seems a bit higher. Sorry...somewhat blurry picture.

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
Damn that's a fine picture Brian. Love the color.:love Love the stance. What color interior?

part of the reason I started this post was because I got a lot of wheel hop at launch. I need new shocks and bushings but I'm fairly sure the second control arm will provide the greater overall degree of correction in this case. The station wagon coil springs have raised the rear end a bit and may be screwing with this problem too.

I'd have to say that your ride height is the culprit. Way up like that, causes the lower control/trailing arms to be at an extreme downward angle to the axle housing. the more level they are to the ground, the smoother it will go. Better traction too.