second upper control arm

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I believe I have the Moog 6000 in the front and 6033 in the rear. I have Monroe el cheapo Sensatrac shocks in the front and new KYB rear gas shocks. The car rides great. Also, if I air down the rear tires to about 20psi it hooks really hard, no wheel hop. My lower control arm bushings are worn and need to be replaced, another winter project.

I'm not sure my car sits that much higher in the front than your car Brian, could just be the difference in tires. In my photo, I have the 800x14 BFG Silvertowns on the front. They are really tall but I love the way they look. When I throw my radials on, the nose of my car comes down too. No radial sits as tall as these bias tires! None

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Level the lower control arms and run a Global West front crossmember bracket with an adjustabe upper bar in the bottom hole. You'll start breaking things.

4onthefloor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Jason, we really should meet up at Mundelein cruise night next year. I would like to see your Biscayne ! I have a set of NOS 4:56 gears that I want to set up for my car too. Original springs,bushings and factory frame reinforcement with about the same tires and have never had a hint of wheel hop. It doesnt really hook up though but thats fine with me. I think 4:56 will be a riot to buzz around town with.

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Yea I can try and make that one next year. Same here no wheel hop just spins and goes. Hooks good on the street with lower air pressure in the slicks but it's a riot

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Looks like to me that double upper control arm setup with the stock pan hard bar would cause the rear to bind up. I suppose that's why it wasn't used for circle track racing.

61 Bubble

Well Known Member
Looks like to me that double upper control arm setup with the stock pan hard bar would cause the rear to bind up. I suppose that's why it wasn't used for circle track racing.

Then why not use a wishbone? Could you not "piggy-back" the wishbone mounts off the 2 upper control bar setup? I believe my '67 has the wishbone above the center section?

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Wasn't the second upper arm put in place to stop differential twist and busting the bearing caps and housings in the original rear ends?
There is still the same amount of movement in the rubber bushings to allow direct sideways movement when the vehicle height changes so i don't see it binding up :dunno

With the wish bone i think that you would have to still install the extra top bracket on the axle housing to stop the twist and there would at that point be more sideways load onto the chassis mounted bracket with all of the twist being stopped by effectively 90 degree bracing. also this will still need the thin chassis bracket upgraded in my opinion as it is pretty flimsy

Steve

quik9r

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3

Tommy, funny you say that. I added the upper arm and have thought the car never left the line as good as it did the previous years.

Quik9r