Shipping cost

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Hi everyone. Just want to share this experience with you. I recently ordered some parts from Real Deal Steel in Florida. They were the only ones who had these parts and I'm grateful that they did. This was also my first dealing with them. The parts arrived in a box and at first, I thought it was empty because it was so light in weight. Shipping was $16.52 to me in NY. Well, the parts were there but I questioned the shipping expense. Today, I went to my post office and asked how much it would cost to send this back. The clerk said $10.40. It's what is known as a flat rate box. Whatever fits inside, regardless of weight, get shipped in the US for that amount. This really annoyed me. It's not an issue of $6.12, moreso, the principle of the thing. I don't mind spending money, actually I like buying things, but I don't want to be cheated, if that is what happened here. An issue like this only reinforces what I've always felt; some vendors, maybe not all, make money on shipping. Parts are expensive enough and they then inflate shipping. My heart goes out to those who are restoring cars and need parts shipped.
I did send the vendor an email telling of my displeasure. Waiting to hear his reply. Wanted it memorialized in writing. Will keep you posted, Carmine.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Guess they had to pay the guy to put it in a box :dunno
Actually, I was billed $1.79 for handling in addition to shipping.
Yeah Bob, I don't think I'll be going back there. Honestly, I really don't need anything else. It just that this vendor was mentioned on another site as having these two parts I needed for the windlace. So, I didn't look any further. My mistake. They were useable but had to be modified some. Not as good as the original one. I know it sounds petty, but I just hate to be cheated. I wouldn't do it to someone else, Carmine.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
$10.40 must have been a rate A box?
The clerk called it a flat rate box. No matter the weight of the contents, it ships in the US for $10.40. They also have small padded envelopes for about half that price. These parts would have fit perfectly. I guess vendors are too busy to consider that, knowing that if you want the part, you'll pay the shipping cost. Sad, Carmine.

Murphdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Just my 2 cents worth.
In your case it sounds like they used a USPS box, which I think USPS provides free of charge. I get small & medium flat rate boxes from them at no charge.
The 1st year that I had a daily UPS pickup service I charged what the UPS chart showed. That year I lost about $900 on shipping when we looked at the books come tax time. At that time I think UPS charged me $25 to come by once a day to pick up packages. After the 1st package that dropped by $2, After $50 worth of packages I think it dropped another 2. Some weeks I may not have had but 3 or 5 packages. For the week ending
Dec 24, 22 UPS billed me $632.33 for the packages I sent out. $19.50 of that was my weekly pickup fee & I shipped 13 packages. The losing $ thing was not happening again. Now I charge a flat $4 fee over what the UPS calculator says to cover UPS pickup fees, tape, staples and boxes. I just spent $987.13 dollars on boxes in September, but that might last me a year. That purchase would have cost another $150 -200 without the promotion they had going at the time. Then I have custom boxes made by another vendor also. Not trying to justify their charges, but having a "shipping" department is a burden in materials costs, not to mention the labor costs.
Not wanting to offend anyone, but if your in a business that does daily shipping you know what I am talking about.
Just saying.
Jeff

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
One reason why I ship at the post office. Once a week. Saturday mornings is my shipping day.

Carmine, was it a Small flat rate box?
Yes. According to the clerk, he called it a flat rate box, Carmine.

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Scroll down to flat rate boxes. The small flat rate box is $10.40...edit...I see rates change for different zones.

I've been selling bullets and other things lately. Flat rate boxes are a good deal. I can get 1,500 bullets in a small one and it is HEAVY.

Last edited:

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Yes. According to the clerk, he called it a flat rate box, Carmine.
"A" box is a type, they say what it is on the box. The reason I say "A" is because there is no flat rate box at the exact amount you stated, the "A" box cost varies by the distance it travels so it could have been that odd amount. Not a big deal just thinking out loud
I take that back, the small box is $10.40 but that is a tiny box

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
The clerk called it a flat rate box. No matter the weight of the contents, it ships in the US for $10.40. They also have small padded envelopes for about half that price. These parts would have fit perfectly. I guess vendors are too busy to consider that, knowing that if you want the part, you'll pay the shipping cost. Sad, Carmine.
Yes that was a small flat rate box. Not very big. $10.40 Priority mail. Includes $100 insurance. Different zones change rates.

Last edited:

427John

Well Known Member
Shipping costs are what they are and I'm OK with that provided the seller is up front about any additional fees for handling and pickup, that gives me the ability to decide if I want that product from that vendor bad enough to pay those additional fees or find another vendor that doesn't charge them. Hidden unexplained fees tend to make the buyer believe that the seller is padding their profit, similar to what you see at gas stations that advertise the gas prices at the cash level and don't advertise the credit price.The best policy is to price the product at a level that will cover those additional costs.

62BillT

Well Known Member
Well, I charge for Packing and list it in the Invoice. Minimum $5, but I'll pack many of those for no charge. Where I do charge is a special size bought and paid for box and especially so when I have to make a box. A special made box is usually at least $20, material and labor. It's actually a positive for the customer as I pack the part(s) big enough for a safe ride, but small enough to keep the price down. The way shipping is today, 1 Inch can sometimes put the price up $50.

Material was mentioned above and a good example is the 48 X 96 corrugated sheet stock that I buy. Last shipment was about $350. Then there's the packing paper, 3 kinds of tape, etc. I also never make a profit on packing as the $5 labor time is gone in a few minutes, lol. The $20 or more is actually more of a loss, but it helps pay for the material.

Last edited:

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Jeff, thanks for your input. I appreciate it. I don't want to see anyone lose money. I begrudge no one of working and making a living. I had a healthy income when I worked. I just don't want to be cheated if that's what happened. We shall see, Carmine.

bobs409

Administrator
I can't believe the small flat rate box is up to $10.40!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Holy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (I haven't been selling anything for about a year) I think I recall it was about $3.95 when the small flat came out.

These shippers are beyond going overboard. usps raises it's rates twice a year like clockwork!! All the others fall in line and raise theirs. It never stops. When will it ever be enough. I'll shut up now, it does absolutely no good to bitch about it. :mad5