Shop recommendations for Orange County/ Los Angeles area?

ORO62

Well Known Member
Did it have old stale gas in it? That stuff can stick a valve.

It did but I didn't know it until after. When I bought the car I drove from near tbe Oregon border back to the San Francisco area. After I ran through the first tank with old gas, it woke up immediately. That's how I knew the gas was old. I'm currently a tank and a half of new gas since I ran through all the old stuff.

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
If you're questioning the origin of the oil leak, get a UV light and UV dye. These are available at any parts store.
Although it can seem obvious where a leak starts from, it never hurts to know for sure.

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I don't think I would drive or start the engine any more until you find out whats going on. First do you have a place where you can work on the car, if so I would start by removing the valve covers and spark plugs so you can roll the engine over by hand and check all the valves, rockers and push rods. You could then do a compression check on all cylinders, if there is something going on inside the engine these things should show you something.

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
As far as the transmission leak, how big of a leak are we talking about? Is it a puddle or just some drips, most T10's will drip a little but not a puddle.
Also can you give us the casting number on the rear of the block on the drivers side behind the cylinder head, its on the block extension where the bell housing bolts up and is a 7 didget number.

Last edited:

ORO62

Well Known Member
Hey guys, I went and made a video and posted to YouTube as requested. Here's the link:

If you watch the video, while I'm inside the car it happens at 0:15 and 0:22. You can hear the clunk and there's a there's a tiny blip in the rpms. It's way less noticeable under the hood, but it does shake the engine slightly when it happens. Kinda hard to catch but you can tell by looking at the alternator at 0:38 & 0:43. No audible clunks from under the hood, just slight rpm blips.

I happen to work at an OEM so I went over the engineering department and borrowed a video probe to look at pistons via the spark plug entry location. I also ordered new valve cover gaskets so I can put it all back together. Last thing I did was order a new vented gas cap. Turns out the one that was there is at least 20 years old.

Regarding the oil leak from the trans, not sure there is one. It's just a few drips, but could be the oil pan leak blowing back oil onto the trans when inwas driving. I'll have more updates in the coming days and will work on getting the casting numbers.

ORO62

Well Known Member
Whats oil pressure? Take a spray bottle of soapy water and look for intake leaks and squirt some on exhaust manifold at head. They all sizzle water away quickly? Got a temp gun?

I'll try the spray bottle thing....what does it mean if there is bubbles? No go on the temp gun and no idea what the oil pressure is. I am ordering gauges though so I'll know soon enough.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Be sure the engine has run for a couple minutes so its a little warmed up for a compression test. Also, you can go just about anywhere and spend $10-15 on a temp gun. I'd like to see the condition of the oil. I would seriously consider contacting your local chevy car club and reach out to the president of the club and ask who would be willing to help you out. You are chasing very important sounds that a trained ear with a stethoscope and a a keen eye with a flashlight could track down in a couple minutes.

our1962

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The motor sounds good with the exception of the lifters needs adjusting and if you change the oil make sue you add an additive with zinc ZDDP or another of your choice.

409's have a down draft tube on the passengers side of the engine, it could be just that your seeing the oil from the down draft tube or a rear engine seal. But it's probably just the down draft tube and it's normal.

Nice car and welcome aboard : Happy Motoring :drinking

ORO62

Well Known Member
Forgot too mention when I buy an old hot rod, I change all the fluids, hoses, belts, check the brakes and do a tune up, that way I know when everything was done and trust it was done.

Then I just maintain the vehicle and change the oil annually.

Thanks! In retrospect that's definitely a lesson learned for me. Kinda silly of me to think everything would be perfect off the bat...i was just infatuated with the car and wasn't thinking straight. I got lots of good pointers here, but definitely starting with the basics. Made an appointment to have the engine gone over by a mechanic also. I'm just not savvy enough to do all this diagnostic stuff on my own + I don't have the tools. That will change through!

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Thanks! In retrospect that's definitely a lesson learned for me. Kinda silly of me to think everything would be perfect off the bat...i was just infatuated with the car and wasn't thinking straight. I got lots of good pointers here, but definitely starting with the basics. Made an appointment to have the engine gone over by a mechanic also. I'm just not savvy enough to do all this diagnostic stuff on my own + I don't have the tools. That will change through!
Your most important tool will be your brain. If you are smart enough to take it to a professional when you are over your head then you are very smart. When you are smart enough to want to learn how to do some of the work yourself and equip yourself to do so, then you are wise beyond your years because down the road it will pay off big. Saves lots of money in the long run too when you can fix/mod things on your own. You found the best place to get all the tips and tricks in the world with your car and engine right here.

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Forgot too mention when I buy an old hot rod, I change all the fluids, hoses, belts, check the brakes and do a tune up, that way I know when everything was done and trust it was done.

Then I just maintain the vehicle and change the oil annually.
This brought up another thought. Maybe something can be learned from your oil. Look at it for metallic. Smell it. Anything out of the ordinary.

wristpin

Well Known Member
Those bubbles will get sucked into the vacumn leak. On the exhaust the water will dance and evaporate very quickly if the engine is warmed up unless that cylinder for whatever reason is colder. Then it takes awhile for water to bake off but it narrows down exactly which cylinders are running poor

427John

Well Known Member
An easy thing you may want to check would be the spark plugs,it wouldn't be the first time an engine that had been sitting for a while was taken out for a blast and shook a little carbon loose and either stuck in the electrode and fouled the plug or closed the gap up some,this could be the cause of the sputtering and missing you mention.Over the years its happened to me a few times,and it always makes you think the worst,but turns out to be an easy fix.Extreme cases where an engine is heavily carboned up could even cause a knocking type noise that could be intermittent ,but I wouldn't expect that from such a low mileage engine.

ORO62

Well Known Member
An easy thing you may want to check would be the spark plugs,it wouldn't be the first time an engine that had been sitting for a while was taken out for a blast and shook a little carbon loose and either stuck in the electrode and fouled the plug or closed the gap up some,this could be the cause of the sputtering and missing you mention.Over the years its happened to me a few times,and it always makes you think the worst,but turns out to be an easy fix.Extreme cases where an engine is heavily carboned up could even cause a knocking type noise that could be intermittent ,but I wouldn't expect that from such a low mileage engine.

I'm definitely doing that and a few other things this weekend. It's something I can do without causing any further damage so why not! Fingers crossed!

ORO62

Well Known Member
Your most important tool will be your brain. If you are smart enough to take it to a professional when you are over your head then you are very smart. When you are smart enough to want to learn how to do some of the work yourself and equip yourself to do so, then you are wise beyond your years because down the road it will pay off big. Saves lots of money in the long run too when you can fix/mod things on your own. You found the best place to get all the tips and tricks in the world with your car and engine right here.

I'm definitely capable, I just need someone to teach me. Really wish there was someone I could pay to let me work with them to fix everything. Unfortunately though, this first time around sounds like it's going to be pretty expensive. Shop i found wants 400+ bucks just to go over thr entire car front to back. Seems fair, based on the inspection list but that's going to lead to a huge bill I'm assuming. Tough pill to swallow being that I just coughed up a pretty penny for this old girl. Either way I'm not disappointed. Lessons to be learned and I freaking love my car!