Slow build 1962

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
It’s a maybe Paul. It is close so I have been thinking about it. Barry I like the shifter but after measuring it up I don’t like where it will sit so I’m considering making a new mount for it to put it where I want and new rods. It looks like I would have to cut 2-3” more out of my tunnel to fit it in there. I will eventually get to sleep Steve after I get my ideas thought out.

I have been trying to do the same with a Long Shifter for my 62 SS we need to talk -and see what you come up with
I have a Richmond 5 speed with the tall Long Shifter like your picture and its sits back 2 and 1/2 inches from stock with SS Shift plate....

Paul

nana1962409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Well with the direction of the car it probably doesn’t need the console plate But I would still like it in there. I was out looking at it and keeping the shifter where it is on the trans would work better and more comfortable for shifting. I think if I opened the hole in the floor I can still leave enough metal there for moving the tunnel extension forward if I wanted to one day if I ever find another car to turn into more of a pure racer. I think I am gonna order another tunnel extension that I can cut and modify. I think I can weld some steel on the front end to be able move the hole back and it might work out then and possibly keep my console.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Here are pictures of a Richmond 6 speed in a 62 Impala SS convertible -this Long shifter fits just in front of the long brace
on bottom side of the floorpan. This Long shifter is 2 and 1/2 inches back from the stock Muncie/BW shifter location.

The remaining pictures are of my 62 SS 409 convertible with a Richmond 5 speed with a Hurst 5 speed shifter that is 1 & 1/2 inches back
from the stock Muncie and BW 4 speed shifter location. It uses a Hurst shifter boot inside the SS shift plate mounted to the factory 4 speed tunnel cover to help with fitting the SS shift plate.

The factory SS console can move back further to accomodate the Long Shifter but I would like to keep it at 2 inches from the stock location
to keep my factory SS shift plate and not have to buy new front carpet also.....

l20180418_122824.jpgIMG_0146_tn.jpgIMG_0143.jpg

nana1962409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Do you have the part number for the hurst shift boot Paul? Thanks for the pictures. It does look like it will fit in front of the brace in my floor pan. This shifter is 19.25” from the front of the transmission and my current one is 17.25” from the front. I don’t know how that measures up to stock measurements?

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
The Hurst Boot is the one that is 5 & 1/4 inches by 6 & 1/2 inches. I can find a link.

The stock measurement for the original shifters on a Muncie or Borg Warner 4 speed is 17.5 inches from the bell housing to center line of the shifter/ handle.
The Richmond 5 speed ( that I have in my 62 SS cars) with the Hurst shifter & Hurst boot “in my pictures” of my blue 62 SS is 20 inches to the center of the shifter ( in neutral ).
Richmond 5 speed and 6 speed overdrives are 20.75 inches to the center of the shifter.

overall transmission lengths from the bell housing to the end of the case are:
Richmond 5 & 6 speeds 21.57 inches & 21.75 inches
and Muncie & Borg Warner 4 speeds are 21.5 inches
Tremec TKO 6 speeds are 24.07 inches plus the tunnel has to be raised.

Paul

Rickys61

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Well with the direction of the car it probably doesn’t need the console plate But I would still like it in there. I was out looking at it and keeping the shifter where it is on the trans would work better and more comfortable for shifting. I think if I opened the hole in the floor I can still leave enough metal there for moving the tunnel extension forward if I wanted to one day if I ever find another car to turn into more of a pure racer. I think I am gonna order another tunnel extension that I can cut and modify. I think I can weld some steel on the front end to be able move the hole back and it might work out then and possibly keep my console.
Nate,
We put that same shifter in my brothers 64 Chevelle on a stock Super T 10. We had to do quite a but of modifying the tunnel for him to get the stock shift boot and ring to work. I’ll ask him if he’s got any pictures on how we did it...
I can only imagine how excited you are to try it out....

nana1962409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Thanks Rick! Any pictures he might have are always welcome for ideas. Yes I’m very ready to try it out! Just need some nice weather. Was nice on Saturday outside in tee shirt and people doing yard work and then Monday a snow storm that canceled school and snow again today.

nana1962409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Got the transmission in the car and will definitely have to modify the tunnel to get the shifter to fit in it. Just for curiosity I weighed the two transmissions and the gforce is 10lbs lighter than the iron super t10 I am taking out. 93lbs vs 103lbs. Also got the front brakes all done. Wasn’t happy with the stoping when I was at dragway 42 last year so had the rotors cut and am trying a different pad to see if that helps. D732AD02-BA08-49C4-8A56-BD0C3A9CFD2B.jpeg

BSL409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Got the transmission in the car and will definitely have to modify the tunnel to get the shifter to fit in it. Just for curiosity I weighed the two transmissions and the gforce is 10lbs lighter than the iron super t10 I am taking out. 93lbs vs 103lbs. Also got the front brakes all done. Wasn’t happy with the stoping when I was at dragway 42 last year so had the rotors cut and am trying a different pad to see if that helps. View attachment 92854
Yes i think it's time to empty the garbage :wtf2 Do you have Willwoods up front??

nana1962409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
So your saying it was time for a change Dave? I did the conversion around 10 or 12years ago on my car. Cheap brake booster caused a problem that was fun to find back then.