So I'v broke the spider gears again.

ls1wagon

Any one have a good line on 9" rearends . I built this car to play hard and drive on a fiarly daily basis, but hell i have broken the spider gears 3 times :eek:.

BubbletopMan

Well Known Member
9" gears and housings

I'm running a Moser housing with 31 spline Moser axles. Howard "Slick" Poston built me a 4.00 Locker gear back in 2000. I had it checked once a year ago, he said it was fine. Slick was the head gear/transmission man for Joe Gibbs Racing for 15 years, and worked at such places as Hendrick Motorsports, Alan Kulwicki Racing, etc.. He's retired now but he still builds gears on the side. He's the best gear/transmission man I've ever known. He's been building them for over 40 years. If you want more info, PM me. Jeremy

Tic's60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Spool it and forget it! Rain kinda sucks but the don't break properly setup. Been driving my "you don't want a spool" on streets and track for 3 years now.

Kdurgin

Well Known Member
If you break a 31 spline Moser 9" axle- you did something really wrong. I have no clue about durability of a conventional x-frame axle. Not many splines on them though, and I have read posts about them twisting but not so much breaking. I'm sure there are plenty of guys on here who would know.

Tic's60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
If you break a 31 spline Moser 9" axle- you did something really wrong. I have no clue about durability of a conventional x-frame axle. Not many splines on them though, and I have read posts about them twisting but not so much breaking. I'm sure there are plenty of guys on here who would know.

I run a Moser 9" 35 spline with a strange center section spooled with 4:11's and a Doug Nash 4+1 pro shifted trans and McLeod heavy organic clutch and pressure plate with N50 15's on the street.

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Any one have a good line on 9" rearends . I built this car to play hard and drive on a fiarly daily basis, but hell i have broken the spider gears 3 times :eek:.

What engine and trans are you running?

I've done the Aubrey bearing girdle and Dutchman axles on my stock rear and it seems to be holding up just fine.
I'm running a pretty stout 409 with a TH400, 456 gears and slicks,,,,

ls1wagon

What engine and trans are you running?

I've done the Aubrey bearing girdle and Dutchman axles on my stock rear and it seems to be holding up just fine.
I'm running a pretty stout 409 with a TH400, 456 gears and slicks,,,,

Its a 5.3 ls based engine 4l60e trans with a 336 gear . It has a turbo also i guess i should add, makes 623hp at 6.5 lbs of boost, I had it on a rear wheel dyno recently and at only 6.5 pounds of boost it put down 499.8 hp and 485.6 ftlb torque to the wheels, it is turnded up to around 9 now. The little 5.3 put 348.3hp 304.3ftlb to the wheels befor the turbo. Its a stock engine minus the cam and springs .

1960wagon096.jpg

After Turbo
27837161.jpg

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
John-

It's about time you posted pics of your wagon! Are you going to Denton Sunday for the Muscle Car Drags?

I told you to get a Moser rear!

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Love the wagon,,, but is that an engine in there? :?:roll

Sorry,, couldn't resist it !!!:eek:

Thats one bad as* wagon !!!!

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Change the wheels to something more stock and that becomes slightly more of a sleeper than it already is. I like your car and what you left original, pretty neat compared to anything "Barrett Jacksoned".

Don

chevytaylor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
.......cool wagon :beerbang

Don't run a Tru Trac....................I chewed one of those up :doh

If you don't want it to slip or break go Detroit Locker.

No409

Supporting Member 1
you broke the bearing cap? thats sick

your car is awesome!

go the 9" route ifyou dont want to brake rear ends anymore