Soooo Sad

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Everyone who frequents this forum knows this is the name on the side of Fred Totten's 63. And his Memorial race is next weekend in Thompson, OH.

And I am Soooo Sad. I was diagnosed and have been fighting a medical problem for the last 7 weeks and had hoped to have things under control by now...........but it's not happening. I have been diagonsed with Meniere's Disease. It's an inner ear disease that effects your balance and other things. It happens without warning and the scary part....I'm told there is no known cure. Just has to run it's course.....

The night Candy & I got home from Tucson Super Chevy about 6PM. At 7, was setting in my easy chair and instantly got real dizzy. Had to hold on to the walls as I walked back to the bedroom. Got REALLY nauseated and spent all night in bed. The same thing happened the following evening. Our initial thought was food posioning since we had been on the road for 8 days. Went to my ear doctor and he immediately scheduled an MRI for my head. (Insert all the jokes here!!!!!!!!!!!!) No tumors, blood clots or signs of stroke. We do have proof of a brain however!!!! Also, I have lost 55% of the hearing in my right ear as a result of this.

Bottom line...........I spent the next 2 weeks in bed because I couldn't move around....too dizzy and couldn't stand up. After that I started feeling better...back to work and everything was cool. Then another episode happened the Friday at Dallas Super Chevy. Just stayed in the motel room and waited it out...about 4 hours. Then this past Wed AM had a real bad episode and it hasn't really gone away yet. Friday aftrnoon at the shop was bad. I could feel something coming over me so I went around and shut everything off. Within 10 minutes, it was all I could do to walk to the dually to come home. I haven't been out of the house all weekend. Candy I were talking as late as last night about still coming. With the Surburban, she could also drive and I'd have a place to lay down. But today was not that good either.

So...as much as I was planning on the "pilgrimage to Thompson".....just decided this afternoon that the trip is probably not in my best interest. I was so looking forward to meeting in person, sooo many of the members here. This not being there is real depressing to me!!!! :cry:cry:cuss:cuss

To Mr. MacKenzie and Larry......let me know what I need to send you for our name tags (want to put those in my display case) nad for my t-shirt.

So.............everyone drive safely to get there...have a good time at the track and a safe journey home!!! I will watch from here but I won't be happy!!!! And thanks to Tom Monroe....who called last Friday afternoon.....he offered me a pass down the track with his brand new 62!!!! Tom...if "mulligans" are allowed here...I'd still like to take you up on your offer!!!

:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry

bbq2

Sorry to hear your feeling bad. I had a friend that fought that his whole adult life. I hope the best for you. Read all you can about it. You may find something that can help you. Jeff

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Phil, We will be thinking of you and Candy. It won't be the same without ya'll. Health is the main issue so get plenty of rest and listen to the doctor. Get well and we will see you down the road. :)

mark johnson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Very, very hard to hear about this, Phil. They say life isn't what you plan, because lifetime plans very seldom work out, but we are who we are based on how we deal the hand that is dealt to us. It's not always a good one. When life life hands you nothing but lemons.......make lemonade. I know that's a pretty corny saying but there's a lot of truth there. The best I can offer is try your best to maintain a positive attitude and don't let it get the best of you. It sounds pretty serious, but remember, there MANY people that deal with even worse on a daily basis and if they can make it, so can you. You'll be missed in Thompson but I've got a feeling you'll be the subject of a lot of prayers soon.

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Phil,
Missing the event is, I'm sure, a big dissapointment to you and Candy but you know best what you can handle.
I have some idea what you're experiencing, as i had a bout with the same symptoms about 2 years ago. I woke up one morning and turned my head to look at the alarm clock and the room started spinning wildly, i got instantly nauseated and couldn't get out of bed. finally went to the hospital, got the brain MRI, and a lot of other tests and was relieved to find out it was Benign Positional Vertigo and not Menieres. Same syptoms, diferent cause. fortunately it only lasted about a week and haven't had a recurrence.
Hopefully it will run it's course in record time and you can get back to your usual activities. Meanwhile, hang on for the ride.
:hug

PAINTJOHN1

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Phil,so sorry to hear about your illness.You surely will be missed at this event for sure.I can promise you,that you may not be there physically,but you will be on eveyones mind who attends..You are a good man,you will definetely beat this little set back.I'll be sure to include you in my prayers tonight.Get well,best to You and Candy.Phil,we'll be taking tons of pictures for you!!! John

roger gunter

Supporting Member 1
Phil

Sorry to hear about the set back
My sister has the same thing, and she has fought it for the last 20 years
funny thing, we were talking just last night, and she had had a bought with it the day before

hang in there and get plenty of rest
like everyone else on hear, our prayers are with you tonight

If we can do anything for you or candy let us know

Roger and Joyce

W Head

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
so sorry

So sorry you will not be there Phill, was so looking farward to meeting the Kansas City Star in person. :cryWill be praying for a fast recovery. "Good Luck"

W Head

59 El Camino 348-3,2s
59 Impala 409-2,4s

63z11

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Sorry Phil

Phil, sorry to hear about this. We all know a 409 gathering is like church for you. Hope you feel better!:hug

Phil, this is just terrible. As has been mentioned, I know there will be a lot of guys talking about Phil Reed... maybe your "ears burning" will be a good thing ?

come on...
I know you're laughing;)

Concentrate on getting well, Phil:hug

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Phil, sorry to hear you can't make it to Thompson. We'll be sure to post lots of photos.
Maybe with some rest and a little luck your illness will go away just as quickly as it appeared.

Rusty Everitt

Supporting Member 1
Phil,
Hang in there, with all our prayers I feel confident you'll
beat that sucker, thank God it was'nt something worse.
Rusty

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Phil, I am really sorry to hear this......... Could you handle Thompson if we could find you a scooter??? I'm sure there would be 50 guys looking for one.

Please look after yourself !! Hopefully you'll get over it soon.

Dave

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Phil: I was shocked to read this post this morning. I really can't add anything but hold on and things will turn around..we will miss you. Ann and I will try to send you a Smith Island cake since you will miss that and Ray and Marcia's evening cooking.
robert

BRYAN FUGATE

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Hi Phil Never Talked With You Before Sorry To Here About Your Problems. My Mother Has The Same Thing She Takes Some Kind Of Vitamins She Had Read In A Old Self Help Book And It Keeps Hers Under Control I Will Find Out Today And Post Later.

Good Luck Bryan

chevymusclecars

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Phil

Like the others I'm sorry we won't see you at Thompson, hopefully you will get it figured out soon.

Best wishes

Bill

Dick MacKenzie

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Phil,
This is really rotten! Take it easy and get better. We'll all miss Candy and you at Thompson. I was truly looking forward to meeting you both. I'll put your name tags in the mail as soon as they come off the printer.

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Phil-

So Sorry to hear this. I don't know anything about it, but if it is keeping you from attending, I am sure it is pretty serious. You will be in our prayers and we too hope for a speedy recovery. It won't be the same without you picking on me! :) If it would help, and you feel up to it, Melissa could share some of the driving with Candy.

Toms63SSQB

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Phil,
So sorry to read about your health. Get well soon. We will certainly miss you at Thompson. God speed on your complete recovery. The offer still stands on a drive down the drag strip. Maybe when you do your 409 tour that we talked about.