Spray can high build primer

62_Conv_2-4s

Well Known Member
I'm doing some touch ups on my 1962 impala and I want the convenience of using a spray can high build primer. I have always used PPG DP-74 as a last coat sealer before top coat. Is there a spray can high build primer compatible with PPG DP-74? I have had problems in the past using spray can primers with checking after sealing with DP-74 and top coating with base coat clear coat.

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Could be, but any of the primers I use are a two or three part mix. Not sure how that would work in a rattle can.

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I occasionally use spray cans of high build primer that I pick up at an automotive paint store. It works really well. If the paint supply store was closer, I would use it more often for touch ups and small projects.

Reactions: 327

bobs409

Administrator
I like the dupli-color self etch and high build myself but it's hard to find lately. The rustoleum brand that EVERYONE now carries is junk, both etch and high build! It was $5.99 before the insanity, now around $10+

Reactions: 327

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
My rule of thumb is to never mix brands of primer and paint. Then again, I can also get the local mixer to stuff the good stuff in a rattle can too.

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
UPOL makes decent automotive refinish stuff in spray bombs. I have never had a problem with any base clear lifting it but never tried it with ppg. That stuff seems to piss off anything but other ppg products.

R63ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Wait until you see the new prices for spray paint and primer!!! Most have doubled!!!
Check out spi epoxy primer they are making a red oxide now.I don’t believe it is in a rattle can.132 a gallon for the epoxy and 132 a gallon for the aktivator with free shipping.They have a forum with all the do’s and don’ts.I you have a question about paint there is a thread about it.Can also be used as a sealer.29E6F4DA-CEA9-4BCB-9A3E-9767DE8F0757.jpeg

32witha409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I tried rattle can high build primer for a fender. Looked OK but it was just spray and dry, no curing whatsoever that I can tell. You could wipe it off with any common solvent toluene, acetone, gasoline ETC. Two part or thin to use automotive high build gun sprayed primers are moisture cure or you add the catalyst/hardener. Those will resist harsh solvents for a spell.

FSDQPT 9

Hello all, thought I’d chime in lol. Not to give a dissertation of back ground but none the less….. your checking issue is due to most rattle cans are lacquer based and that’s also the propellant. The crazing/ checking is due to material build / and or combo of additional different product on top which causes the “primer” to rewet. It splits come from liquid turning into gas and can’t get out fast enough “proper dry times” through too coat. One two coats maximum for rattle can use lol. Hope this helps.