Strickler 1961 409 Biscayne???

troublemaker427

Well Known Member
I'm a new member here to your forum. I've been a lurker here for a while learning about the W-motor. As you can tell by my signature I'm a Ford guy. I am a huge fan of 60's Super Stock/AFX drag racing. One of my favorite drag racers of all time is Dave Strickler. :bow

This leads me to my question:
Was a 409 available in a 1961 Biscayne? As you know the first "Old Reliable" was a 1961 Biscayne. A few of us SS fans have been debating if this car was an original 348 car or a factory 409.:dunno I was under the impression that the 409 was only available in the Impala SS in '61.

Also,does anyone have any Strickler photos that they might post?

Thanks,

M

MK IISS

For the 1961 model year the 409 engine was available in the Biscayne, Belair and Impala series plus the Impala with the SS option. According to Chevrolet records only 142 409s were factory installed. I don't believe a record was kept of what series or body styles the 409s went into. Dave Strickler's '61 Biscayne and Don Nicholson's Impala were originally 348 cars as were many others.

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
61 409s

There are more on here more familiar with the 61 than I am, but my recollection is that the 360 HP 409 was available in any 61 Chev. Later in 61, not too long before the Indy Nationals, Chevy released a " service package " that included new heads, cam, and intake with 2 4 bbls. This was the 62 package that was the 409/409 motor. I'm sure there were 409s bought over the counter and placed in 61s by the owners. Could be what Strickler did, but I doubt it. They had to be available to the public at one time. Not sure if this was the case this early or not. NHRA did some strange things back then. A lot of it was determined by who you were. I know Strickler was pretty highly placed by GM, so he could get what he wanted. Like the First 63 Z-11 released.
I have seen a couple 61 409s in Biscaynes run in N/SS. The Shelf top cars. Ugly, but fast.

Fred

You listen to Richard, above. He knows more about this than I do. We must have been typing at the same time. I'm just slow!!!!!

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Come on in

By the way, does this mean you are thinking of giving up the F**d and coming over to the good guys?????????? Think I might have seen your car. Post pictures. We love pictures. And as far as F**ds, we love them too, but in a different way!!!!!!!!!! Need some new targets for my dart board!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now, we do kid on here. It's not all serious. Feel free to join in anytime. I will not be responsible, though, for any nasty F**d remarks!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fred

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Jody, There are many of us on this web-site that enjoy all old cars. Even though the W-heads are our first love, we can appreciate what the competition offered. I will always consider the 64 Thunderbolt a dagger in the heart. You are welcome here, especially with your credentials. Dont be hesitant to speak up.

troublemaker427

Well Known Member
Sorry,I'll be a FORD guy forever. Now if I hit the powerball I would have a few W motors in the garage!!! An aluminum '62 bubbletop would be OK with me!!! :D I love all the SS/AFX cars.

Dave Strickler is kind of a local legend for me. I live about 29 miles from York PA. I've also become freinds with Mike Strickler who is Dave's son. Mike is a great guy who is keeping Dave's memory alive!!!:cheers He has some great photos for sale and always has a nice display at the York US 30 show.

Thanks for the info!!! Anybody have any Strickler stories to share?

gearhead409

Well Known Member
Richard

The 61s you have mentioned were 348 cars with over the counter 409s in them. here is something i have always wondered about, was Dave Strickler's first 62 a real 409 car or one they took off their new car lot and put their good super stock 409 engine in it for the indy laber day national drags? there were things on that car that didn't look right to me.

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Racing

Jody, what group do you run with over there? I see you run the A/FX NSS stuff. just trying to place the car.

I agree with Ronnie, the Thunderbolt was a killer. I could understand getting beat by them. Hated to get beat by the Chrysler cars, though. Now, seems everyone has the Mopar stuff. It's neat to see a good running Ford out there. Was at Cecil County not too long ago, and there was a GOOD running 63 F**d fast back. Ran 10.0 as I remember. Fun to watch. Not fun to run, though!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Didn't have to. I was gone before he was. ( eliminated ) Friend took pictures, though. He was with me and is a F**d lover. We have some nice conversations on the way to the tracks!!!! Couple times he has used his truck to tow me to the tracks. F**d Dually Deisel. Sure does pull good, though.

Maybe we will meet up someplace next year.

Fred

If you can't figure out how to post pictures, email them to me, and I'll post them for you. ftotten@cinci.rr.com

M

MK IISS

gearhead: Somewhere I read that Dave Strickler had a new '62 409 ordered but it didn't come in when it was supposed to so they pulled a car out of Ammon R Smith's inventory and built a race car out of it. The article was not specific if the substitute car was an original 409 engined car or a small block.

gearhead409

Well Known Member
Richard

somewhere i remembered the same story and i remembered it had a three speed column in it with the shift lever removed and a small block fan shroud. they may have put this car back on the lot after delivery of the car he had ordered. it always has been a mystery to me.

jester

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
SS425HP said:
By the way, does this mean you are thinking of giving up the F**d and coming over to the good guys?????????? Think I might have seen your car. Post pictures. We love pictures. And as far as F**ds, we love them too, but in a different way!!!!!!!!!! Need some new targets for my dart board!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now, we do kid on here. It's not all serious. Feel free to join in anytime. I will not be responsible, though, for any nasty F**d remarks!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fred

Ford? What's a Ford?:roll

Strick

Photos

Hi, Everyone

Jody (Troublemaker427) turned me onto your webpage. I will participate when I have time.
Attached is a photo of Jody’s car and my dad’s Old Reliable 1

Mike Strickler:beerbang

Attachments

• OldReliable1.JPG
    OldReliable1.JPG
    27 KB · Views: 124
  • Troublemaker427.jpg
    Troublemaker427.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 98

dynoray

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
strick 61

hey,if you go on the superstock group on yahoo,Dave Strickler's son posts on there once in a while.he sent a real nice shot of Dave getting out of the Biscayne at York.good color photo.i'll see if i still have it and post it here,Ray.

gearhead409

Well Known Member
Jody

i've only built one side oiler FE 427 like yours in my life time. it went back in a stick shift 66 fairlane like yours. i'am mostly a chevy man but i got to say that 427 was very impressive! Welcome !

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Welcome to Mike

I was thinking of a white Fairlane. different car. Good looking Fairlane, though. Give us an idea what power plant you are using.

Nice to have Dave's son on here. He was quite a racer. Remember reading a lot about him. Didn't get over that way much. Raced the same years, though.

Fred

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Troublemaker427,
Welcome to the site, you'll find a great bunch of guys here. It doesn't matter if you like Fords, we're all family.:hug I've got a Ford and they haven't run me off!!! :roll
It's not so much that I like the Ford, it's a '61 and I like anything that was made in '61!!! Heck, I could probably get excited about a 61 Rambler, weelllll, maybe not!!!:D

jester

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
gearhead409 said:
i've only built one side oiler FE 427 like yours in my life time. it went back in a stick shift 66 fairlane like yours. i'am mostly a chevy man but i got to say that 427 was very impressive! Welcome !

All I can say is " there goes the neighborhood".:roll
The next thing you know we will be buddy buddy with the Dodge Boys.

gearhead409

Well Known Member
Mike Stricker

we here have all respected and admired the accomplishments your dad has achieved in drag racing in his lifetime. we would like to hear from you from time to time. hope we don't wear you out with too many questions. Welcome!

wrench

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
photo

Strick said:
Hi, Everyone

Jody (Troublemaker427) turned me onto your webpage. I will participate when I have time.
Attached is a photo of Jody’s car and my dad’s Old Reliable 1

Mike Strickler:beerbang

Request permission to add the Chevy photo to my Nostalgia or Racers page on my web site.

Thanks,
Tom