Stuntmanmike

Hi Guys, I recently purchased a 61 Bel Air with a Jack Gibbs 409. The knowledgable fellow who sold me the car recommended this forum, so here I am!

I'm based in NY - any of you guys go to the events in Lebanon Valley, NY? Wouldn't mind making a couple of runs with the new car.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Welcome aboard! You've got a well built 409 there, Jack is renowned for his expertise related to the Might "W" :).

Is your Belair a two door coupe or sedan? Stick or auto?

Pics are always welcome!

TomK

The car has some stickers from shows in Nova Scotia / PEI from late 80s and early 90s. Would be interesting to see if anyone has history on the car. The seller did the current build on it, but clear it was a drag car before - no rust and has the drag car shut off switch for electric fuel pump thing above rear bumper (now it's a mechanical fuel pump.) Also has a line lock from previous builds, now a 4 speed car.

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The car has some stickers from shows in Nova Scotia / PEI from late 80s and early 90s. Would be interesting to see if anyone has history on the car. The seller did the current build on it, but clear it was a drag car before - no rust and has the drag car shut off switch for electric fuel pump thing above rear bumper (now it's a mechanical fuel pump.) Also has a line lock from previous builds, now a 4 speed car.

great car and welcome here. Post some pics of the stickers from NS and PEI and I'll see if anyone knows the car. It would be a 1 of 1 around here, probably no 409 or even 348 back in those years?

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
Welcome, Mike.:bow Great looking car you have.:applUsed to, race at Lebanon Valley, in my younger days, but not so much, anymore.:doh I do miss going there, though.:dunnoWhat I don't miss, is getting beat by Bobby Moore.:doh:bang

PSmith1

The 61 looks great. As for old stickers, are there any Sanford, Maine stickers on the car?
1) I recall seeing a 61 Chev w/348 Tri Power stick at Oxford Plains waay back, mid-70s. What made this unique and unusual was the car was clean,
white w/red interior, had a period-correct motor (mid-60s stock elim) and interior had clear vinyl seat covers over stock fabric. Had a couple of
Sanford class-win stickers, one was 1965 Sanford Fuel and Gas Champs. Car looked like it rolled off showroom floor. Probably was retired when the Sanford strip folded.
W-motors were outclassed at time and could not compete in NHRA Stock/SS.
Anyone from Maine recall this one??? Maybe it's yours? I forget exact body style, hdtp, post, etc.
2) Would like to attend LV event as brother and I raced Stock and SS there mid-70s into 80s, sm block chevs. Some of competitors still there racing, great bunch. Never raced Dover but went to Ct. Dragway.