Surprise Find Project

Phalen409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
I went to purchase some Z-11 parts and saw this partially covered under a tarp. After some discussion, I decided to purchase it for a Z-11 engine transplant. However, this turned out to be a 55K original car that is a totally matched Big Block 427 built in early 1966. Original engine and transmission with all matching vin numbers. Kinda' rethinking the transplant now. Ton of NOS parts came with it. As an aside, the hood seen on the roof of the Pontiac is the aluminum hood of the Z-11, "Thunder". Great day of looking around. ..........just a thought......a Z-11 is a 427 c.i. engine......wonder what the Corvette folks would think? :roll

IMG_1600.jpeg
IMG_0578.jpegIMG_0587.jpegIMG_0611.jpegIMG_0598.jpeg
IMG_0605.jpegIMG_0594.jpegIMG_0721.jpeg

JED

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I don't know what you paid for the Vette, but an original '66 big block car can pull $150k or so in good condition. I would think it would be worth more as an original than with a W-engine installed, even a W-427. It would be unique, but not as valuable.

R63ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
IMG_9206.jpegCongrats Dennis.If it is the original drivetrain with a good engine pad stamp I don’t think I would change it.Add a set of side exhaust and have a blast.I love my impala and my gto but the feeling of driving a C2 big block with side exhausts is like no other.Speaking from experience watch out speed shifting.I grenaded my Muncie a couple months ago and just got it back together.Lol

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
That's my favorite body style and my favorite color on it . Beautiful . I wouldn't change anything. Those vetts didn't need anything. Original corvettes like that are getting far and few between where someone is jacking them up. Besides, you switch motors neither car won't have number matching ,so it devalues both. Love to have it, but above my pay scale.

Last edited:

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
It has already been done, I think. My 66 convert originally came with 425hp L-72, M-21, sidepipes, tele column, teak wheel, knock offs, AM-FM and hardtop only. When I got it, it had everything original with it except the engine. The engine that came with it was a 67 shortblock with L-88 intake but no heads. The original 66 425 exhaust manifolds were there.
The strange thing I found when I started the resto was on the right inner fender was a stencil that said
"Datona 4.31 X 3.65". That was obviously the Z11 or the mystery motor specs but why was it on the inner fender and why was it lightly covered over with blackout paint? I researched the car back to its original dealer in Peoria, IL. but I bought the car in NorCal and it had been sitting behind a barn since 1972. The local history was as a drag car but no history before that. I can only surmise that the original engine had blown up and someone installed an engine with those specs sometime between 66 and 72 and it blew up or was sold out of the car after it was wrecked.
Don't destroy an original. If you want to build something for fun there are plenty of NOM cars or engineless projects out there.

my 66 innerpanel1.jpg

Phalen409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Cecil, The price was fair enough for me to pull the trigger and buy this one. Was going to detail the car and sell it. BUT, my daughter AND wife said no way. Wife has a 2016 Z-51 3LT but is very familiar with driving 4 speeds. Really wants me to keep it. It's a 390 HP so it will be a great driver. It has had one repaint years ago but in I think Nassau blue. Trim tag shows this car was Trophy Blue with only 1,800 corvettes painted in Trophy Blue out of more than 25,000 total units (?) in 1966. Makes this one pretty rare. You need to find me a 3370 Holley for this engine!!:pray