temperature gauge plug in on 409/409

Jim Cation

had my 62 impala ss 409/409 for almost 3 months now and am still learning. even though it is bone stock, and I want to keep it that way, I really want an actual temperature gauge (in addition to leaving the idiot light hooked up, if possible). I have been told there is an auxiliary (second) plug- in on the block and we can leave the original one in place. I have looked and read the shop manual and can't find it. Please help. If there is no second one I will have to disconnect the idiot light. Thanx!

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
The only place I've ever seen a temp sender is in the intake manifold,but one could place one in a "t' arangement,such as is often done when adding an aux.oil pressure gauge.

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I have seen this done a couple of different ways. One of the best ways I've seen is to get a later model thermostat housing that will except a temp gauge sending unit. Others have put one in where the bypass hose is. OBTW welcome to the site !

Bill

Dick MacKenzie

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Here's one way. Use your regular sending unti in the stock location and a couple pipe fittings from your local hardware store with the gauge sending unit in it. Not real pretty unless you're handy with a grinder and can smooth out the fittings but it gets the job done.

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
Welcome to the site Jim . :clapAs you have found out a great group :hughere and lots of info on the "W" engine.

:crazy:dance:cheers

mac1

Well Known Member
If you have some soldering skills you can solder a 1/2" female iron pipe (fip) x copper sweat adapter into a brass freeze plug like I did. I happen to be a plumber but it's not that hard to do. Use some map gas and a portable torch, get everything cleaned up and use 50/50 solder and some soldering flux. These are all available at Lowes hardware stores.
freeze%2520plug-gage.jpg

ken smith

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
If you have some soldering skills you can solder a 1/2" female iron pipe (fip) x copper sweat adapter into a brass freeze plug like I did. I happen to be a plumber but it's not that hard to do. Use some map gas and a portable torch, get everything cleaned up and use 50/50 solder and some soldering flux. These are all available at Lowes hardware stores.
freeze%2520plug-gage.jpg

ken smith

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Haven't looked at the 348 in my '61 yet , but is there a block drain plug ( like a small block ) that could be used foe a temp switch?
I think it may be a 3/8" NPT.....I thought about using this for an electric fan temp sensor.

mac1

Well Known Member
That would be a 1/4" pipe thread. I made one a few years ago and it worked well using the factory idiot light sending unit.
DSCF0001xcv%2520%25281%2529.JPG

mac1

Well Known Member
I like the nostalgic look of the green and red dash lights but don't rely of them for accurate water temps. I rely on my under dash Sunpro mechanical gauge for that.