"The" Homewrecker

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Crank scraper turned out great. I need to get on that soon.

Lots of questions:

Are you planning on screens in the lifter valley or oil drain back holes in the heads?

Pistons are amazing. Whole chamber is the valve notch in the piston and block! Did the guys at Diamond have anything to say about them?

Pro Gram caps?

What's under the clear plastic? 61 - 62 Biscayne??

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
No screens. I know they are a good idea, but I just don't feel like it! Diamond was told "max" compression and the pocket depth and this is what came back.
Caps are Pro Gram I got a good price on from Walla. Dad's 62 Impala is under the plastic.

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Love those pistons! :beer That engine is going to rock! :burnout

I already have ideas on getting a little more compression out of the next set :brow. Actually I have a list of things I would do different some day when I can afford to do the entire short block over from scratch. For now I need to get at least three seasons out of this one the way I figure it.

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I have a list of things I would do different some day when I can afford to do the entire short block over from scratch.

Yeah, that's the way I always feel too. :D I always think of things I would have done differently. :rub
There's always the balancing act of making as much power as you can while keeping the reliability up and the expense down.
It sure would be nice to have an unlimited budget. :beer

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
No screens. I know they are a good idea, but I just don't feel like it! Diamond was told "max" compression and the pocket depth and this is what came back.
Caps are Pro Gram I got a good price on from Walla. Dad's 62 Impala is under the plastic.
I already have ideas on getting a little more compression out of the next set :brow. Actually I have a list of things I would do different some day when I can afford to do the entire short block over from scratch. For now I need to get at least three seasons out of this one the way I figure it.

I kinda wish I had went with those caps too, but just did studs on the stock caps. Then 2nd one came with studs already. I just can't see spending the money to change them when they are already done.
On the valley screens - I have never used them in any engine, but always have thought I should. Hopefully I will install them before it's over, but I bet I end up doing like you (and like myself every other time) and just going ahead and putting it together.
Also wish I had done a partial fill before it was bored. Not sure that is a good idea now that the bore has already been done so I am going to skip that too.

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Yeah, fill should
I kinda wish I had went with those caps too, but just did studs on the stock caps. Then 2nd one came with studs already. I just can't see spending the money to change them when they are already done.
On the valley screens - I have never used them in any engine, but always have thought I should. Hopefully I will install them before it's over, but I bet I end up doing like you (and like myself every other time) and just going ahead and putting it together.
Also wish I had done a partial fill before it was bored. Not sure that is a good idea now that the bore has already been done so I am going to skip that too.
Now I think about it, I may put screens over the drain back holes in the heads or epoxy magnets in. The stock caps will likely be fine as long as there is no detonation. You are right about the fill.

quik9r

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Tony Schaffer put small rare earth magnets right at the start of the oil drain back holes in the heads. Mine aren't glued just sitting there. They are super strong!

I have large pill shaped magnets that are used for cattle and horses, placed in the heads. Been there since 1993, clean them off every time valve adjustment is done. Nasty1 put me on to that from all his 409 motor builds.

Quik9r

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
"used for cows and horses" :scratch More info please so I won't sound like a total idiot when I ask about them at the local farm supply. :crazy

quik9r

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
"used for cows and horses" :scratch More info please so I won't sound like a total idiot when I ask about them at the local farm supply. :crazy

I think they are given to animals for suspected ingestion of nails, staples etc, as they pass through system they collect metal particles and then pass! ouch

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
^ those are exactly what mine look like. And as stated already, just clean them off every valve adjustment and good to go. They work great. I have one on my oil drain plug also.