"The" Homewrecker

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Jesus H Christ you have poor luck. Sorry to hear this. Couldn’t this be tig welded with brass or bronze? No need for full heat and cool. Just thinking out loud.
That dog won’t hunt. That was my inclination. It’s a small area, I just need a dab. But every welding or engineering forum I went to says no. I went to a big welding supply place here and they said no also. You have to heat the whole thing to 400 to 500 degrees. That will distribute the inevitable stress as much as possible. Anything else and I would risk it cracking now or sometime down the road. So I should not hack job this. The hardest part is finding a cheap or free bbq. I always get rid of them because I think I won’t be doing this again. Yet here I am!

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Ok. The flux from Tin Man is a red oxide color and sort of coarse. I used it once and liked it but I need more practice. I didn’t “stir” the puddle enough to remove the voids so it wound up with porosity. This head is a job for brazing. Much lower heat equals less problems.

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
550 degree preheat and brazed away. Slowly cooling now. Tomorrow I pressure check. Also found this issue on a few valves with uneven tip wear. I ground the tips and they appear to be ok now. I had to take about .002 off to square them up.IMG_0064.jpegIMG_0063.jpegIMG_0062.jpegIMG_0061.jpegIMG_0060.jpeg

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
:appl :appl:appl:happy……. OK Petey wants to go back to school, what would be the root cause……????…….Stud deflection…..??

Last edited:

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
They were never ground square from the manufacture. My understanding is they all leave the fine tuning to you unless you get something like Ferrea but even still. I did polish the stems and reground the 45 and did back cuts on the intakes but figured the tips were fine. I guess not!

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
They were never ground square from the manufacture. My understanding is they all leave the fine tuning to you unless you get something like Ferrea but even still. I did polish the stems and reground the 45 and did back cuts on the intakes but figured the tips were fine. I guess not
Uh-oh……Petey is having a thought……So I know you to be a pretty thorough person there professor ……you don’t expect me to believe that you wouldn’t have checked the valve tip (geometry) for pattern prior to final assembly…..do you…..?
I’m thinking you don’t leave anything to chance……???

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Ha! I had measured the valve stem height from the head gasket surface on all 16 so there was no need to check the pattern on all 16. Only one I and one E with the exception of one intake that I know is sunk in the head a bit. The ones I checked were fine. Even across the whole tip. Thought you got me didn’t you :winner

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
No like I said I just know you to be very thorough I didn’t realize there was an alternative method of doing the same thing Petey needs lots of schooling………I don’t believe you to be a hack …..but “they” keep saying it……..:poke